ReefCleaners.org

blue ring octopus

calvinci

you dont have to have a person in Malaysia ship you one. one of my LFS had three. and they are in orange county, calif.

and yes, they WERE blue rings. had a big NFS sign on the tank. but i bet if you were a 'special' customer they were yours. i was happy to finally see one in person.

pretty little fellas. they 'pulse' when they get excited.

nalbar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
myfisharemean

I was saying if they were a special "non-poisonous breed, special to that area", that they bred there or something, lol

I thought they only lived in tidal pools. The only place I have ever seen them is on TV, but what set up does the store(s) have them under?

nalbar I always believe so obviously they can be at other stores too. Amazing they would sell them and at the very least without a warning.

keep in mind, in Malaysia I doubt they have the same sort of litiginous nature, so there is less emphasis of "protecting" you from buying anything.

my LFS had them in floating jars so they can be captured easy. they do that with all their octi. i can understand them REALLY wanting to do that with blue rings.

nalbar

My brother kept a blue ring for five months. He got it from an lfs in Missoula Montana of all places. He was never killed . I wouldn't buy them cuase they only have like a 6 month lifespan. Personaly I think if someone wants to have something that kill them it's their own buisness. An lfs selling critters that are dangerous and not informing people is pretty screed up though. My lfs was selling a stonefish as a frogfish for months. They finally banned me after repeated arguments to label the fish correctly.

i thought it was crazy but my LFS is selling them here in OC, CA. they had 5-6 of them and i saw one guy buy one the other day. i think they look really cool but personally i wouldn't want to take the risk. how am i gonna clean the algae :)

I went to another fish shop today, they have about 5-6 of this octo in the tank too, I guess it's from the same distributor. It's a blue ring, with blue circle all over the body, and the blue circle shine when it move around... or disturb.

The 6 octo is in a 4ft x 2.5ft x 2 ft tank, sharing with many fish, goby, wrasses, anthias and hawfish.. I bought a six line wrasses and a sailfin tang there, from another tank. Then I remember the toxin in the water, so I ask if the water is shared, he said yes... God I will never touch the water, after acclimate, I carefully pour the water to the basin, over a net so the fish it net.. And just dump the fish in my tank...

If everyone of it kills, I think more than 20 aquarist will be dead this week.

newbiecarlz

ive seen them for sale here in oz too (not recently though). i agree that as long as the person buying knows that they are dangerous than its not such an issue. also i dont think they are aggressive (?), just poisonous.

but saying that they are harmless is a bit different, because people wont be treating them as though they are dangerous and could get hurt.

calvinci i dont think that just because the octopus was in the same water it would affect your fish (?) remember the poison is transferred through its bite/saliva, not its skin. i dont think the toxin would be in the water, but im just guessing.

will this toxin kill the fish? Actually I am worry about the toxin in the water transfer to my tank, then when I put my hand in, i became one of the victim.

that is sooo true

i also believe they "dont think they are aggressive (?), just poisonous."

if you think about it the daddy long leg spider has a very deadly venom but they rarely ever bite anyone

as long as you know what your getting yourself into and dont anger them you should be fine

They do not have a deadly venon unless you are a small bug fatex.Have you ever heard of a daddy long legs killing someone?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Mollusks/Kopffu...r/blauring.html

The venom applied by the blue ring octopus, however, is not produced by itself, but by symbiotic bacteria inhabiting the octopuse's salivary glands. Those bacteria are transferred from the mother to the young - even the eggs already contain sufficient amounts of venom to be harmful. As well as among cone shells the venom does not consist of one substance but is a cocktail of several poisons, that obvoisly is species specific.

http://www.barrierreefaustralia.com/the-gr...ngedoctopus.htm

The poison is not injected but is contained in the octopus's saliva, which comes from two glands each as big as its brain. Poison from the one is used on its main prey, crabs, and is relatively harmless to humans. Poison from the other gland serves as defense against predators.

toxicity slowly bred out or glands removed

i'm betting more like glands removed

Originally posted by corriewf

I watch too much myth busters lol

I know so do I!

I loved them water skiing behind the crew row boat.

Originally posted by corriewf

They do not have a deadly venon unless you are a small bug fatex.Have you ever heard of a daddy long legs killing someone?

I watched this thing on Discovery and they did say something about daddly long legs being very venomous but they have such small fangs that it cannot penetrate human skin.

Tigs, that is not true.On myth busters the guy let them crawl all over him biting him , he even said the bites hurt.Sorry you were mis informed.

THIS MYTH HAS BEEN BUSTED!

i think a blue ring octupus being sold without warning in a fish store is a goldmine.

for those of you that live in the USA you know you can SUE for just about anything. if a fish store is selling this without warning you can SUE for alot of money.

but of course you can't sue if you did not suffer damages. So maybe you can sacrifice your dog or something, or maybe your least liked child.

• 4 weeks later...
ApocalypticSurf6

just guessing here but perhaps its a captive bred blue ring and it works like poison dart frogs, its only poisonous from the stuff it eats and if bred in captivity it loses its poison, just an idea i have, neone think this could b the case?

Archived