Pod Your Reef

"Cone" snail ID

Nstocks

I've just come back from my LFS where I purchased my first livestock; two cleaner shrimp and two "cone snails". I was looking for nassarius snails but the store didn't have any, however they said the cone snails are not the aggressive type and will do very well to clean the sand. I purchased two but now I'm a little paranoid about them having read that some cone snails are very poisonous.

Looking at one of the ID guides on nano-reef, I've found them to be named "The Coniade". Can anyone confirm these are completely safe? They measure approx. 1.5" in length and have jagged back legs (?)

post-85519-0-66466900-1429873749_thumb.jpg

Looks like a big old strombus to me. Reef safe, usually just dig through the sand, stirring up the top layer and eating algae, detritus and leftovers.

I have something very similar looking - it was sold to me as a tiger conch.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/342305-gtis-cad-lights-34g-mini-ii/page-11

Anyway, mine moves around on the sand bed and has a tubular mouth it uses to eat algae and possibly tiny inverts off the sand, rock and glass. I haven't had any issues so far...

That's looks to be the same one I have.

Looks like a big old strombus to me. Reef safe, usually just dig through the sand, stirring up the top layer and eating algae, detritus and leftovers.

One of them is eating, the other has buried itself. Pretty cool to watch, considering they are snails!

Archived