Coral Vue Hydros

29 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Are the parameters for alk, calcium, and mg the same before and after?

They are. My Ca is a bit high right now but for the most part they are stable and consistent to what they were prior. I can't think of anything that would drive the shift other than a lack of trace elements that I was getting before. 

How about nitrate and phosphate levels?  What were they pre/post?  IMO this would influence color more than Cal/Alk/Mag, unless of course you had a alk swing. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, urbaneks said:

How about nitrate and phosphate levels?  What were they pre/post?  IMO this would influence color more than Cal/Alk/Mag, unless of course you had a alk swing. 

That has been in the back of my mind as well. I did lose a Red Dragon Acro to RTN that was growing rapidly and my Rasta Zoas have been irritated for a week or two now. I hadn't lost a coral in probably 8 months prior. 

Full transparency... I haven't test nitrate or phosphate in a bit. I was regularly switching the media reactor between carbon and GFO but havent ran the GFO in some time. I'll try to find the time to get the Hanna Checker out and test my PO4 tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

Lack of trace elements IMO.

Definitely my initial suspicion. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

you can also try Aquaforest or did you already tried that?  Their trace elements are easier to dose than Red Sea IMO

I haven't. I'm going check out my NO and PO first and then jump back into the Trace Element world if nothing pops. I'm trying to find the most cost effective way to maintain the health and vibrancy I want. 

I'll take a look at the AF products today. 

• 2 weeks later...
mitten_reef

Can't believe I haven't followed this tank yet. Following.

Especially would like to know what the final decisions are/were on the salt mix and supplement. I've had good results with RSCP with coloration and growth. I've just started dosing products from Aquavitro this year.  It's safe to say that is far from being cost-effective, especially now that I'm starting to see increase in supplement needs for my tank. I'm thinking of switching my supplements to Red Sea products to keep it all in the "product family".   

• Like 1
On 6/23/2017 at 9:41 AM, micoastreefing said:

Can't believe I haven't followed this tank yet. Following.

Especially would like to know what the final decisions are/were on the salt mix and supplement. I've had good results with RSCP with coloration and growth. I've just started dosing products from Aquavitro this year.  It's safe to say that is far from being cost-effective, especially now that I'm starting to see increase in supplement needs for my tank. I'm thinking of switching my supplements to Red Sea products to keep it all in the "product family".   

Thanks for the follow!

Shortly after I posted about my colors getting pale I found that my reactor pump had stopped working. Innovative Marine got a new one out to me quickly. Outstanding service.

That said, I'm attbuting the issues to PO4 and organic build up. Things are already looking better.

I'm still happy with the BRS two part as long as price is taken into condsideration. If you're okay with the cost, I would highly recommend sticking to a single product family. I was really happy with RS supplements and my tank looked the best while I was using them.

Had a tank crash due to a 3 day power outage while i was out of the country. I am buying a temporary tank this week (either a fusion 20 or a RSM c-130, found a good deal on both of these)

I forget, what are you running for filtration in your fusion? any skimmer? reactors with carbon? If you could give me a run down that woould be awesome!

• Like 1
On 6/28/2017 at 8:10 AM, dirtrider225 said:

Had a tank crash due to a 3 day power outage while i was out of the country. I am buying a temporary tank this week (either a fusion 20 or a RSM c-130, found a good deal on both of these)

I forget, what are you running for filtration in your fusion? any skimmer? reactors with carbon? If you could give me a run down that woould be awesome!

Sorry to hear about the crash! 

Missed your comment somehow. 

No skimmer. 80% of the time its just the IM reactor with BRS Carbon ROX in it. Other than that I do weekly 2 gallon water changes. Seems to work great.

On 6/29/2017 at 8:43 AM, myarmolich said:

Can i fly you out to cali to aquascape my IM fusion :P i love your rock work and corals everything looks so clean 

Ha! I wish. That'd be fun. Clean was a big goal of mine while designing it all. Its getting harder and harder to keep it that way with everything growing into each other now. 

3 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Tank is looking amazing, great work.

Thanks!

Quick pic while the lights are going down. The Gorg (middle right) is getting too big. Time for some Gorg fragging. 

IMG_3567.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Looks beautiful! How are the colors doing now that your reactor is back online? 

Much better. My guess was the reactor was offline for 3-4 days. Plenty of time for some nasty to build up. Things rebounded quickly. 

I'm in Summer time survival mode - chasing a 2 year old around and trying to keep a 5 week old happy. I'm planning a couple things for the tank this winter when life slows down a bit. Looking forward to getting back into the tank

• Like 1
4 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Much better. My guess was the reactor was offline for 3-4 days. Plenty of time for some nasty to build up. Things rebounded quickly. 

I'm in Summer time survival mode - chasing a 2 year old around and trying to keep a 5 week old happy. I'm planning a couple things for the tank this winter when life slows down a bit. Looking forward to getting back into the tank

Good luck! It's good to know you're keeping good color without the fancy salt and two part now.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprise surprise.... my Tunze 3152 ATO is failing. I've come home every day this week to find the water line well below the float switch. The switch just had a long vinegar bath to ensure build up wasn't prohibiting movement. Something is wrong with the pump itself.... when I unplug and replug, it runs for about 2 seconds and shuts off.

Emailed tunze. Fingers crossed I can get a replacement.

Nothing lasts forever.  I love the AutoAqua Mirco ATO I have on my tank.

If it takes 3x longer more than normal on/off it stops the pump and gives an audible beep until you reset it.  Awesome safety feature IMO.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Travis said:

Nothing lasts forever.  I love the AutoAqua Mirco ATO I have on my tank.

If it takes 3x longer more than normal on/off it stops the pump and gives an audible beep until you reset it.  Awesome safety feature IMO.

Thats definitely the setup I am getting if Tunze doesn't send a replacement. I've heard nothing but great things about that ATO

Thinking about taking some corals out to get back to a bommie look. Maybe the caps on the left, the two favias in the sand bed and potentially the hammer coral in the back center.... might be a winter project. Would love any thoughts. Keep things or clean 'er up?!

IMG_4783.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1