SaltCritters.com

23 minutes ago, dirtrider225 said:

Thats awesome! 

I have some SunnyD's but they are currently being taken over by my god of war paly's. No rasta's in the tank

Nothing in particular, Im not too picky on coral as long as it is hardy. Plus if anything were to happen to your tank i would have backups of your coral in mine (assuming i dont end up killing it of course) and since we live pretty close to eachother it would not be hard to get you the frags back :)

Cool. Ill keep filling the rack and let you know. Might even be able to pluck off some Jack O Lantern Lepto

On 3/15/2017 at 2:30 PM, uwdanno said:

Cool. Ill keep filling the rack and let you know. Might even be able to pluck off some Jack O Lantern Lepto

That would be great! I just had a mini tank crash for some reason (either the doser went overboard or some sort of bacterial bloom) lost a couple things and others definitely were unhappy. Did about a 50% waterchange and things look okay now but not sure if they are recovering as i had to travel for work. Why dont we hold off on getting anything from you until like early/mid april just to be sure that the tank isnt still having issues. (on the other side of things i went from 5 small bta's to 9 small bta's due to this lol)

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:01 PM, Polarcollision said:

requesting pics of your acros. :-)

Hopefully soon. I've been traveling a lot lately and haven't given the tank much love. That'll change this week. I'll see what I can snap.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, do not smoke the reef(er) said:

What are you currently running in your reactor? Having some issues with PO4 and thinking this would help out. 

Right now just BRS Carbon Rox. I use about 1/2 the dosage they recommend on the jug. I do run BRS GFO if I feel any PO4 spikes coming on. With that one I run about 1/3 of the recommended dosage. Gotta be really careful with that stuff.

What are your levels at?

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, dirtrider225 said:

That would be great! I just had a mini tank crash for some reason (either the doser went overboard or some sort of bacterial bloom) lost a couple things and others definitely were unhappy. Did about a 50% waterchange and things look okay now but not sure if they are recovering as i had to travel for work. Why dont we hold off on getting anything from you until like early/mid april just to be sure that the tank isnt still having issues. (on the other side of things i went from 5 small bta's to 9 small bta's due to this lol)

April is fine with me. No rush at all.

Neopolymath

You have a very nice tank, uwdanno! 

I'm interested in adding a Midas to my fusion 20g and wanted to hear your experiences regarding this fish. How big is your fish? Do you feel that it will become aggressive in this size tank given that they are quite feisty and get large? I have one in my family's 400 gallon system and it certainly uses most of the tank and holds its own with the big boys. I currently have a ~2.5" Ocellaris and ~2" Starcki damsel (a very passive species akin to the Springeri FYI).      

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Neopolymath said:

You have a very nice tank, uwdanno! 

I'm interested in adding a Midas to my fusion 20g and wanted to hear your experiences regarding this fish. How big is your fish? Do you feel that it will become aggressive in this size tank given that they are quite feisty and get large? I have one in my family's 400 gallon system and it certainly uses most of the tank and holds its own with the big boys. I currently have a ~2.5" Ocellaris and ~Starcki damsel (a very passive species akin to the Springeri FYI).      

I loved my Midas. He just died last week. Something happened internally and he stopped eating- which I mostly blame myself as I was traveling and unable to mix up his diet with various foods. 

I had him for over a year and want to get another one. He was perfectly happy in my 20 gallon with a Six Line and a Clown. Never had any issues with aggression. Mine stayed really confined to a hole in a rock. He would come out to eat and poke around some but for the most part just liked sitting in his hole. I don't have any reservations recommending one for you 20g. I can't wait to get a new one. 

Neopolymath
8 hours ago, uwdanno said:

I loved my Midas. He just died last week. Something happened internally and he stopped eating- which I mostly blame myself as I was traveling and unable to mix up his diet with various foods. 

I had him for over a year and want to get another one. He was perfectly happy in my 20 gallon with a Six Line and a Clown. Never had any issues with aggression. Mine stayed really confined to a hole in a rock. He would come out to eat and poke around some but for the most part just liked sitting in his hole. I don't have any reservations recommending one for you 20g. I can't wait to get a new one. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry to hear about your fish. It's tough to lose a fish, especially in that manner. 

I considered getting a Sixline wrasse as well, but am extremely fearful their behavior in a tank this small. How long have you had your wrasse? It seems like it would incite a turf war with the damsel who likes to dart around the rock work. I'm thinking about getting a perching fish and or another free swimming fish in an attempt to avoid conflict. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Neopolymath said:

I considered getting a Sixline wrasse as well, but am extremely fearful their behavior in a tank this small. How long have you had your wrasse?

Sixline might be my fav nano fish. So active and tons of color. I have had mine since November. I think you are correct - a sixline with a Damsel could be an issue. They both have similar behaviors and the body shapes aren't that different. I think you'd have a turf war.

I'd def go with the Midas if I were you. Its the best of both worlds - free swimming and loves to perch. 

Could you take the one from the 400g to test it out?

• Like 1
Neopolymath
On 3/31/2017 at 9:18 AM, uwdanno said:

Sixline might be my fav nano fish. So active and tons of color. I have had mine since November. I think you are correct - a sixline with a Damsel could be an issue. They both have similar behaviors and the body shapes aren't that different. I think you'd have a turf war.

I'd def go with the Midas if I were you. Its the best of both worlds - free swimming and loves to perch. 

Could you take the one from the 400g to test it out?

Unfortunately, the blenny in that tank is neither accessible to catch due to the rocks and his agility or small enough to go into the tank anyways. It is very big and boisterous.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tank is on autopilot. I'm not doing anything to it other than cleaning the glass weekly, feeding and checking the ATO. 

Dirty, crooked cell pic.

B9B85F2C-A4F8-4243-B298-F35697BA55B3.jpg

• Like 11

Just skimmed your thread again and this tank is absolutely beautiful! It's really fun to look at your progression pics, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

Just skimmed your thread again and this tank is absolutely beautiful! It's really fun to look at your progression pics, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! It's been a lot of fun

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Wow, amazing.  Whatever you are dosing I want some of it...hahah

I believe he's "dosing" freshly mixed saltwater daily. ;)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Wow, amazing.  Whatever you are dosing I want some of it...hahah

Just plain ole BRS Two Part. I switched away from the RedSea Foundations Alk & Ca and can honestly say I haven't seen any negative impact to color or growth.  I don't feed the corals at all and do weekly 10% water changes. Still no skimmer. Just a media reactor with Carbon. 

5 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

I believe he's "dosing" freshly mixed saltwater daily. ;)

Mostly true! I wish I had the time to do it daily though. As of late, I am a bit more lazy and can only do weekly at best.

• 3 weeks later...

Snapped a quick overhead cell pic. It feels oddly nice not having the urge to buy any corals. 

Hoping to spend time getting DSLR pics of the individual SPS this week.

IMG_2813.jpg

• Like 13
2 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Snapped a quick overhead cell pic. It feels oddly nice not having the urge to buy any corals. 

Hoping to spend time getting DSLR pics of the individual SPS this week.

Well done!  SPS like that in a tank that size takes dedication. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

you have more corals stuffed in a 20 gallon than I do in a 75....

I'd happily swap tanks with you if that's a subconscious offer 

9 hours ago, urbaneks said:

Well done!  SPS like that in a tank that size takes dedication. 

Thanks! I have a second daughter due early June.... two girls under three is going to test my time. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Still alive.

I switched away from RSCP and the RedSea Alk & Ca additives about 2 months ago. Since switching I've noticed my colors are not nearly as vibrant as they were

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

What did you switch to and why?

I moved from RSCP to Tropic Marin and from Red Sea Foundations A & B to standard BRS 2 Part. I switched for cost reasons. I was going through a 500ml bottle of RS Foundation in a couple weeks - before I saw the impact the trace elements had to colors, I couldn't justify the 3x annual cost vs BRS 2 part. 

I switched salts because my LFS stopped carrying RSCP. The colors that I've seen the biggest impact to are my greens and reds. My Red Planet is a very pale pink now and my vibrant green birdsnest is similar. 

Once I use up the BRS 2 part, I'm thinking I might go back to Red Sea Foundations but use the concentrate rather than the bottles. 

• Like 2