Coral Vue Hydros

7 hours ago, Zuma said:

Awesome tank!  Amazed at the diversity  and growth you have in there; just bought an IM 20 as well and am very inspired by your reef.

Indeed. 

On 4/2/2018 at 1:06 AM, Zuma said:

Awesome tank!  Amazed at the diversity  and growth you have in there; just bought an IM 20 as well and am very inspired by your reef.

On 4/2/2018 at 8:08 AM, jtgrimes said:

Indeed. 

Thanks! I'm still enjoying it daily!

20 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I'm thinking about doing the floating rocks thing too, I love yours! What size magnets did you use? How many per rock? 

These are the ones that I used. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX084BR-N52&cat=164

They are 1.5 in long.  Make sure you get the rubber coated ones so nothing leaches into your tank!

They are VERY strong magnets so they can hold a lot of rock. I would guess that the 2 ledges that I made are close to the size of my hand. I like to use the dry rock bits you can order from BRS. They glue together live puzzle pieces to make are really nice ledge. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Thanks! I'm still enjoying it daily!

These are the ones that I used. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX084BR-N52&cat=164

They are 1.5 in long.  Make sure you get the rubber coated ones so nothing leaches into your tank!

They are VERY strong magnets so they can hold a lot of rock. I would guess that the 2 ledges that I made are close to the size of my hand. I like to use the dry rock bits you can order from BRS. They glue together live puzzle pieces to make are really nice ledge. 

Thanks! I just ordered 4. And it just so happens I've got the same brs frag rocks and I do the exact same thing with them! 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! I just ordered 4. And it just so happens I've got the same brs frag rocks and I do the exact same thing with them! 

Nice. You'll be happy with them. They are CRAZY strong so be really careful on the glass, they want to slap together. 

2 hours ago, Kdrof said:

Dan, been a while since i've seen your tank... Tank is rockin man. Looks so good! Tagging along

Thanks for checking in!

• Like 1
On 4/4/2018 at 11:27 AM, uwdanno said:

Nice. You'll be happy with them. They are CRAZY strong so be really careful on the glass, they want to slap together. 

Thanks for checking in!

They came in the other day - very nice!

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2018 at 11:55 AM, Nano_Addict said:

How's the tank doing?  Any updates?

Thanks for the ping! Tanks is still going and doing well. I'm not putting in the fine tuned effort that I was a year ago but I am getting decent colors and growth. 

I'll post a pic soon. I have one more coral to move or add to help balance out some colors. I'm waiting to post a new pic until I can get that added. Hopefully soon!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Bumped into a fellow reefer on Instagram and felt inspired to get more active on my tank updates 🙂

Right now I am treating with a round of Fluco. It works insanely well on these little tanks and I see 100% improvement within a week. 

I am working to removed several pieces that have over grown the tank - a Green Favia, Dragon Soul Favia, Grubes Gorg, Bi Color Frog Spawn, and a Purple Plate. As soon as I can find a home for those I want to pull out and replace the sand bed. 3.5 years in and the sand is getting really clumpy and sad looking. I also want to add a rock/rescape the right structure. I've been looking for the perfect rock at the LFS but haven't it yet. 

When winter hits in Minnesota things slow down a bit. Really looking forward to having more time to dedicate to the tank. Updates to follow. 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, teenyreef said:

It's easy to kind of procrastinate on posting updates when life is busy, it happens to me all the time. Looking forward to the pics! 

It is and I haven’t loved how the tank has looked all summer. I’m in dire need to giving things to my bud with a 150 gal but we haven’t been able to sync up lately. As soon as that happens I can kick this back in gear!

• Like 1
On 9/28/2018 at 11:52 AM, uwdanno said:

Bumped into a fellow reefer on Instagram and felt inspired to get more active on my tank updates 🙂

Right now I am treating with a round of Fluco. It works insanely well on these little tanks and I see 100% improvement within a week. 

I am working to removed several pieces that have over grown the tank - a Green Favia, Dragon Soul Favia, Grubes Gorg, Bi Color Frog Spawn, and a Purple Plate. As soon as I can find a home for those I want to pull out and replace the sand bed. 3.5 years in and the sand is getting really clumpy and sad looking. I also want to add a rock/rescape the right structure. I've been looking for the perfect rock at the LFS but haven't it yet. 

When winter hits in Minnesota things slow down a bit. Really looking forward to having more time to dedicate to the tank. Updates to follow. 

Glad to see you are still around! Your tank is still one of my favorites!!

• Like 1
On 9/29/2018 at 6:15 PM, dferrari13 said:

You still got that clam?? 

Still got the clam. I really want to move it but it’s stuck within all the SPS. Looks really cool from a top down. I’ll get a pic soon. 

I am working a bit of a rescape/cleanup/fragfest and noticed that my Legendary Corals Jawbreaker is finally (3 years later) getting a red stripe in it. I need to email them to see if it’s a true JB and I can expect greens and purples too. 

A406BF4C-9AB1-4350-B2CE-C0F7FF3F8B6B.jpeg

I moved the rock that was previously covered in the Jawbreakers. It’s got too many and it’s too big. I want to bust this rock up and only keep a handful of them... I estimate the rock has 45-60 JB’s on it. 

Temporary location 

1A70BCA2-F137-48C8-9018-0ACB04B0E2E8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

Still looking to upgrade? You were thinking about going slightly larger for a while.

I am always looking around but won't pull the trigger. I really like the constraints of a nano and financially I can have fun with it without any guilt. If I go bigger, I'll start to feel more and more guilty about the money that goes into it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, uwdanno said:

I am always looking around but won't pull the trigger. I really like the constraints of a nano and financially I can have fun with it without any guilt. If I go bigger, I'll start to feel more and more guilty about the money that goes into it. 

I feel the same way

• Like 1

Spent some time starring at my tank and surfing instagram tanks. I've landed on changing my scape to a true Bommie reef with a single rock structure in the center and open sand bed around it. 

I plan to push the SPS rock to the center and remove the Zoa/chalice/gorg rock on the right. I want everything to be compact to the center. I'll grow the SPS to create overhangs with Acans, favias, and hammer/torch corals surrounding the base. 

Current mess. Lots to do!

IMG_9876.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
6 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Spent some time starring at my tank and surfing instagram tanks. I've landed on changing my scape to a true Bommie reef with a single rock structure in the center and open sand bed around it. 

I plan to push the SPS rock to the center and remove the Zoa/chalice/gorg rock on the right. I want everything to be compact to the center. I'll grow the SPS to create overhangs with Acans, favias, and hammer/torch corals surrounding the base. 

IMG_9876.JPG

How can you say current mess, your tank is beautiful!  You are making me sad with talk of changing it.  Of course it is your tank, not mine so you should scape it the way it pleases you.  (I am still sad, though) 😣

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

IMG_9876.JPG

Amazing!  messy or not, I'm sure many on here will take "your mess" any day of the week! 

I totally follow your vision though, and I think whatever you'll end up with will be even cooler than it is now.  your previous layout was the inspiration for my 2-island idea.  I know how it feels, after a while the sandbed started to get filled up with random additions.  I'm in the process to taking significant amount of corals off my sandbed as well.   

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, vlangel said:

How can you say current mess, your tank is beautiful!  You are making me sad with talk of changing it.  Of course it is your tank, not mine so you should scape it the way it pleases you.  (I am still sad, though) 😣

Really?! I am on the fence and I think you just pushed me back over to keep it similar to as is. If I do, I want to build up the Zoa rock with some vertical height (like before) and I do need to clean it up. Too many large pieces on the sand bed. I am talking to a buy about the Jawbreaker rock. I talked to Legendary Corals yesterday and got a pic of the mother shroom and the lineage. The momma is a STUNNER!

1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

Amazing!  messy or not, I'm sure many on here will take "your mess" any day of the week! 

I totally follow your vision though, and I think whatever you'll end up with will be even cooler than it is now.  your previous layout was the inspiration for my 2-island idea.  I know how it feels, after a while the sandbed started to get filled up with random additions.  I'm in the process to taking significant amount of corals off my sandbed as well.   

Thats awesome. I've enjoyed checking your tank out as well. The two islands does make for a really nice scape. I think I will first just work to get rid of the pieces that have out grown the tank. That will give me a better lens on what I want to do next. 

Heading over to check up on your thread now. 

• Like 1