Coral Vue Hydros

reefernanoman

Bought a new house and we are moving in soon. Tank will go to the right of the fireplace in the basement.

That wall is 10ft so I doubt heat from the fire will be an issue.

DBA52417-AABD-475E-8C20-533D4E4E29CC.jpg

0B13E92C-BA78-4BA0-AFDC-30EEC8549FF1.jpg

Nice house, congrats.

• Like 1

Nice house man! I see an upgrade coming, maybe not soon but eventually.

Between you, me and the Internet- that's my plan. I'd like a shallowish 50 gal eventually. Thatll be a long long.... Very long time from now.

Bubble Magus Doser is the $#*%. Love this thing. 4 weeks, testing every other day and my Alk and Ca are constantly on point. I've had my GFO offline now for two weeks and still can't inch PO4 up from 0. Hoping feeding and time knock 'er up a bit. NO3 is <5.

7AA7AE80-5EF2-4ACF-BC33-5739D4152E66.jpg

• Like 3

just saw pics of the house...nice!!!! that's the basement? looks like a mansion already

Thanks. Everyother spot in the house was ruled out as 1) the kids will throw toys through the tank or 2) that will make rooms in the front of the house glow blue.

Can't have toys through the tank or neighbors thinking the new people are growing weed

• Like 1

Lol. I can't handle a 3rd reason to find a tank location

Do what I'm doing. Catycorner the tank and custom build a stand that you can drill into studs. That will not come down.
  • Like 1

I know there are several post about this but I figure I'll post my own account too.

Two little fishes magnets will rust through if you leave them in the tank!! Once they rust through - metals leach into the water with big impacts. Right about the time I noticed this, my Red Dragon had a small amount of RTN

62FA2EB8-26F0-44C1-A6B3-CB2E3B7344AC.jpg

Just had this happen to me a few weeks ago,but do if that for the reduction of light was the issue but I lost all my sps and TLF had. Had nothing to say about.

• Like 1

How do you like the Kessil?

I like it a lot. Really impressive unit. Controllability, intensity and the light blend (shimmer) are all really what make the light great.

The only down side is the shadowing. A single point of light creates some challenges to get the most light around the corals. I can't lie... there is a fair amount of each coral that doesn't get light.

Dang that basement looks amazing. Congrats!

Thanks. Pretty pumped to get the tank in its perfect spot down there. Just bought a new stand that will fully house all my reefing supplies. Every little bit makes maintenance easier.

That is a nice rock.

Will be even nicer with some colonies on it. Grow. Grow. Grow!

• Like 1

mount the light higher?

Definitely helps. I previously had it about 9inches off the water line.

To get better all around lighting I added the 90 degree adapter and moved the light up to 12 inches off the water. Made a HUGE improvement.

IMO the 90 adapter is a must for Kessil

That RedSea 350 tho....... :o

reefernanoman

I know there are several post about this but I figure I'll post my own account too.

Two little fishes magnets will rust through if you leave them in the tank!! Once they rust through - metals leach into the water with big impacts. Right about the time I noticed this, my Red Dragon had a small amount of RTN

62FA2EB8-26F0-44C1-A6B3-CB2E3B7344AC.jpg

Some people say that it's death to your corals, while others say otherwise. I do have a TLF magnet and I think that the rule of thumb is to change the pad once a year or so. Actually the magnet on my ATO from tunze threw some rust into my 28G without me knowing and I didn't notice too much of an impact.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Tank moved completed. Went pretty smooth. Only casualty so far is a Aussi Vermiculata - but that has been struggling for a bit.

Biggest lesson learned was I need to vacuum and clean out my rear chambers more often. When I drained the tank, the water was full out nastyness. Pure brown scum. From now on I will be making that a regular part of water changes.

72A6F481-239B-4316-8E44-C72999356B4E.jpg

• Like 5