inTank Media Baskets

What's up, MN broski. Tank shots are nice. Figuring out your starting points for alk and calc can be a PITA at first, I use the Hanna checkers, except for the calcium one its garbage IMO. Low res phosphate and alk tester are great and much easier. Imo, anyway.

Life is better in MN :)

I use the Hanna PO4 checker . Love that thing.

Salfert for my other test. Not precise but they work.

My bud gave me a bubble gum chalice and the sps below. I have no idea what it is. Anyone have any thoughts?? It's growing in a very weird pattern. Lots of ridges on each branch.

What is it?!!

20150805_215708.jpg

Just did a couple searches and it looks to be a Horn Coral (Knob, Velvet Horn, Branch).

Appears to be highly aggressive and will win most battles against other corals. Cool looking piece none the less

It doesn't require high light like other sps and some reading say it'll turn yellow in lower light. Planning on moving it down to the sand rubble tonight

My Sixline typically swims inside of a cave to sleep but this morning I found him in a mucus cocoon against a rock. Cool stuff.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Tanks still going strong. I haven't had a ton of time to take update photos with a 3 month old baby now.

She's does love watching the tank though :)

60C746C8-841D-428D-8C6D-9651EBCA5E6A.jpg

• Like 7

Tank looks lovely! I really like your minimal scape. It'll look amazing when your corals grow out.

Thanks Percula! The hardest part about a minimal scape (for me), is keeping it that way. Always so tempted to add more and more stuff.

Things are starting to really take foot and grow. Shouldn't be too long until growth is making a notable difference

Thats a cool shot with the reflection of your baby watching your baby ?

:) shes everything!

• Like 1

Can you please do like a mass photo-dump of your Nuvo 20? Like, I'm talkin 25+ pics haha.. I wanna see everything about it haha.. :D

Will do! I've been buried. We are in the process of selling our house. I think I've finally figured out how to work the white balance on my DSLR camera though so I will be at it taking pics soon. I'll upload a bunch :)

Lovely tank and you have a nice collection of frags. Keep the updates coming!

Thanks. Its been tough not to buy more. I am trying to keep a clean and natural look. I've only broke my rule of now frags on the sand bed once or twice. Things are really rooting now and starting to grow.

• 2 weeks later...

Baby is sleeping so I took the time to make a cradle for my JF Jack O Lantern. To date it's always been on a plug sitting in the sand. I love the look when they encrust rocks but didn't want to disrupt new growth by pulling it off the plug. Itll rest perfectly in this cradle. I tossed in a little cave for future habitants too. It'd look cool to see something living under a JOL cave :)

1686CF13-2DEF-4458-B50A-354359DB1620.jpg

2EF09E2B-6755-4440-B1E9-3760A0E6330C.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Life is better in MN :)

I use the Hanna PO4 checker . Love that thing.

Salfert for my other test. Not precise but they work.

My bud gave me a bubble gum chalice and the sps below. I have no idea what it is. Anyone have any thoughts?? It's growing in a very weird pattern. Lots of ridges on each branch.

What is it?!!

20150805_215708.jpg

Looks like Hydnophora.

• Like 2

Looks like Hydnophora.

It is. I was able to ID it via live aquaria shortly after. Thanks for the help though!!

Looks great I'm always a fan of people who keep the sand beds free and clear of corals. Sooo much better looking and clean!

Thanks Giga. Clean sand beds make everything look better. My minor rescape opened up some spaces to get things back on the rocks. I'm happy with it

Looks great! That Kessil is working pretty well for you?

I really like Kessil. Great sps growth, color and overall light effect.

I recently added the 90 degree adapter to get more height to the light. With just the gooseneck the light sits about 8inches off the water - which creates a lot of shadowing. Too close.

With the adapter the light is about 13inches above the water line. This reduces shadows DRAMATICALLY. Very happy with the light.

• Like 1

so whats your secret for keeping sps? looks like a great simple tank

Thanks. Its simple but there is equipment behind the scenes :). Doser + Reactor. When I get a sec, I'll take more pics of the full setup and some SPS close ups.

I've been really patient and consistent with the corals in this tank. Keeping my hands off them is the best. I was manually dosing everyday and just recently hooked up my auto doser. Any changes I have made to media, lights, flow etc I have been very careful to make gradually.

Routines/Equipment

Feeding nightly - oyster feast, roti feast, nutria/cell, frozen Mysis (Favia & Lepto eat it)

Auto Dosing (Bubble Magus)- Red Sea B (alk) Red Sea A (Ca)

Weekly 2.5 gallon water changes (instant ocean+ RODI)

IM Desktop Reactor - 1/2 recommended dose of BRS GFO

Media baskets w/ ChemiPure

Jabeo WP10 + Sicce 1.5 Return for flow.

• Like 1

sweet im looking to do something similar but havent had luck yet,

Its tough. I'm always fighting the urge to move things. Good luck! Let me know if I can help.

Its tough. I'm always fighting the urge to move things. Good luck! Let me know if I can help.

some of it was my fault not doing something correctly, but i do have one frag left alive, some sort of monti i think,