inTank Media Baskets

4 minutes ago, Nano_Addict said:

Definitely not a mess, but change can be good!  Whats the current fish list in the tank?

Change is good. I was getting a bit philosophical last night and thinking maybe its impossible to recreate the same scape I previously had - I had that one pretty nailed (shamelessly) and I am not sure that I would ever be happy unless it was exactly the same. The best thing could be to flip it and do something different. 

The great thing is- I am more interested in my tank than I have been in the last year. Its been on autopilot and I have been busy. I am finding myself thinking about it often and really eager to do something great.  

The current fish list is just the Black Clown and a Six Line Wrasse. The Six Line is my favorite nano fish but he totally bullies most others. I loved having a Midas Blennie and they all paired well. If I found one at a fair price, I would add that back in. 

8 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

I think I will first just work to get rid of the pieces that have out grown the tank. That will give me a better lens on what I want to do next. 

I read the posts after mine and they have merit.  I have been there myself where things looked good and were good with the health of the tank but I was just itching for a change.  That can keep a hobby fresh and fun.

I think you are going about it in a good way.  Clean up the overgrown and then see where you are.  That alone may be satisfactory or maybe it will spur you on to more change.  No doubt it will be awesome no matter what you do. ☺

• Thanks 1
Just now, vlangel said:

I read the posts after mine and they have merit.  I have been there myself where things looked good and were good with the health of the tank but I was just itching for a change.  That can keep a hobby fresh and fun.

I think you are going about it in a good way.  Clean up the overgrown and then see where you are.  That alone may be satisfactory or maybe it will spur you on to more change.  No doubt it will be awesome no matter what you do. ☺

Totally agree. Thats the best part about the hobby, it never gets stale

• Like 1
On 10/2/2018 at 8:04 AM, uwdanno said:

I moved the rock that was previously covered in the Jawbreakers. It’s got too many and it’s too big. I want to bust this rock up and only keep a handful of them... I estimate the rock has 45-60 JB’s on it. 

Temporary location 

1A70BCA2-F137-48C8-9018-0ACB04B0E2E8.jpeg

I know someone that would take a couple of those JB's off your hands 🙂 Shoot me a pm if you are interested in fragging some of your corals.

11 minutes ago, dirtrider225 said:

I know someone that would take a couple of those JB's off your hands 🙂 Shoot me a pm if you are interested in fragging some of your corals.

Remind me... are you in Plymouth?  I have a plug with 2 of them on it that you could have. 

4 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

Remind me... are you in Plymouth?  I have a plug with 2 of them on it that you could have. 

Yessir I am! I can trade you some WWC Halle Berre zoas if you are interested? I have to have 90+ polyps of those on my frag rack by now

Already have a frag of rasta growing. Probably around 15 polyps or so right now! Wouldnt mind a few of the orange/rainbow looking ones you have if easy to frag! I can also offer AoG Palys and Gobstoppers as i have 75-100 of each of those as well 🙂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Looks fantastic! And if you want to trade a jawbreaker let me know :biggrin:

PS: congrats on the sale. Looking forward to the resulting tank upgrade :lol:

I am considering an upgrade. Doubtful I’ll do it but I am having fun looking at the RedSea 250s. 

I’ve got a couple JBs on the frag rack healing up. I’ll ping you when they are ready 

• Like 2

A few cellphone pics of the SPS island. Colors are way over stated in these pics. It’s tough to get them all accurate on a cell phone

2908099D-FD84-4164-B282-F0B0FBE74A74.jpeg

I need to figure out what to do on this one... The Kelly Green Psammy is encrusting so quickly that its choking out the Acros. You can see it coming up quickly on the base in this pic. 

355276B6-D0BB-49A1-95F4-D4F6A11C322F.jpeg

2E9E9514-3A66-4C8E-9B43-BF2A8AB8FD7E.jpeg

AAD6AC97-ED13-42BE-AB84-E04E840458A2.jpeg

3AC0E350-AFF0-45A8-A69A-9BA66771A5A9.jpeg

7F49A7E4-801E-4625-9107-66D0E9A20B2E.jpeg

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, Nano_Addict said:

The growth in this tank is unreal.  What brand 2-part are you using?  I think I remember you were going back and forth between BRS and Red Sea a while back.

The growth is becoming a serious problem! Corals are growing on top of each other and I am nervous about losing entire colonies. At some point I am going to have to frag as much as I can and restart with fresh rock and placements. 

For the first 2 years I used RedSea Foundations + RedSea Coral Pro Salt. The tank loved it and the colors were pretty amazing. It got too expensive though. For the last year or so I have been using BRS 2 part and basic Instant Ocean. I dose CA and Alk and just pour some MG into my ATO reservoir. 

I can confidently say that water changes are what have set this tank into overdrive. I have got a bit lazy lately but I rarely miss a 20% weekly change. The tank loves it. 

Once the cyber Monday deals come around I want to remove the skimmer and go back to a Carbon Reactor. I'll also shift back to RedSea Coral Pro salt. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Red planet? 

Thats what I bought it as from the LFS. I have gone back and forth if it actually is. I think the placement is a bit high to get the full deep red and hints of green. The growth pattern definitely looks like an RP. Either way, I love it. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

The growth is becoming a serious problem! Corals are growing on top of each other and I am nervous about losing entire colonies. At some point I am going to have to frag as much as I can and restart with fresh rock and placements. 

For the first 2 years I used RedSea Foundations + RedSea Coral Pro Salt. The tank loved it and the colors were pretty amazing. It got too expensive though. For the last year or so I have been using BRS 2 part and basic Instant Ocean. I dose CA and Alk and just pour some MG into my ATO reservoir. 

I can confidently say that water changes are what have set this tank into overdrive. I have got a bit lazy lately but I rarely miss a 20% weekly change. The tank loves it. 

Once the cyber Monday deals come around I want to remove the skimmer and go back to a Carbon Reactor. I'll also shift back to RedSea Coral Pro salt. 

Interesting idea adding the Mg to the ATO, that hadn't crossed my mind.  So do you still do daily water changes or just the weekly changes at this point?  I'd love to set up a daily WC system on my tank.  The Auto Aqua seems like a solid option.

Which skimmer are you using on the tank?  I have the IM desktop, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

1 hour ago, Nano_Addict said:

Interesting idea adding the Mg to the ATO, that hadn't crossed my mind.  So do you still do daily water changes or just the weekly changes at this point?  I'd love to set up a daily WC system on my tank.  The Auto Aqua seems like a solid option.

Which skimmer are you using on the tank?  I have the IM desktop, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

I do weekly water changes. Typically on Sundays. The automatic siphon and refill setup I have makes it SUPER easy. Just flip a couple switches and I can walk away. 

I use the small Tunze skimmer. Also lots to be desired but I think thats the case with all nano skimmers. I like life better without them. I am anxious to pull it out of the tank. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, uwdanno said:

I do weekly water changes. Typically on Sundays. The automatic siphon and refill setup I have makes it SUPER easy. Just flip a couple switches and I can walk away. 

I have found the easier it is to do WCs the more often they get done.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, vlangel said:

I have found the easier it is to do WCs the more often they get done.

SO true. Its a chore any way you look at it. If I had to do it with a siphon with clean up afterwards I would have only a fraction of the water changes I've done. Ease is everything in sustainability. 

• Like 1

Hope you keep the zoa rock, it's neat! And that gorg is huge lol. For the one that's overrunning--I believe Natalia uses a line of superglue to help contain unruly corals and wonder if something like that might help? I think she applies as needed with water changes. I don't know much about sps or how visible it would be. 

• Like 1