Top Shelf Aquatics

Nice nice nice

Sweet light hanger, looks so classy.

Thanks dudes.

My airline tubing came into last night. I'm hoping to get my automatic water change system up and running tonight. Plan right now is to automate a 1-1.5 gallon WC daily. This would be about 158 ml every hour. I'm convinced this is going to be pretty advancing for my sps.

• Like 1

What dosser are you going to use to do that with?

Bubble Magus. The water added to the tank will be Red Sea Coral Pro = 11 dkh. The tank currently sits at 8dkh. I am hoping that adding a water with notably higher alk will eliminate a need for dosing. (credit Kdrof) .I'll use one pump for new water in, one pump for tank water out. Depending on how this keeps up with Alk consumption I may have to still use the third pump to dose Alk.

Hooked up the Bubble Magus doser as an autowater change system and its not going to work. The flow on those is WAY less than I expected and needed. 1.3ish ml/min. This only allows about 1/2 gallon change per day, and works the pumps too hard.

To fix this I have two BRS 50ml peristaltic pumps on the way. The flow on these is significantly greater and will allow for an easy gallon/day water change.

• Like 1

You relying on timers/controller for this to work or will you manually turn them on?

Ideally timers and controllers.

I'm installing float switch as fail safes.

One to shut off the system if too much water is added the other to shut off the system if too much water is removed.

I may, in the short team, leave it as a manual switch. Turn the pumps on when I am ready to water change. Definitely the safe approach.

I finally got my PO4 up from 0.00 for too long. I now sit at 0.06. Tonight I will take the GFO out of my reactor and switch it to a small amount of passive GFO. Hoping that this will let it hover around 0.03-0.06.

The colors on my SPS are pretty poor at the moment. I am attributing it to nutrients being off. With P04 now available and a soon to be increase (.05% daily) in water changes. I feel like colors should rebound.

How do you plan on raising p04 through waterchange?

He's not. He's changing more water with an automatic water changer and is running lesser GFO to let the po4 exist at all.

• Like 1

How do you plan on raising p04 through waterchange?

He's not. He's changing more water with an automatic water changer and is running lesser GFO to let the po4 exist at all.

Bingo. I've run 1/4 of the recommended GFO in a reactor since the tank was set up and P04 has always been 0. I haven't replaced the GFO in awhile so its "old" and ineffective now, allowing P04 to finally climb a little.

I am hoping WC's and a small amount of passive GFO will maintain a low measure of P04 above 0. Active GFO is just too effective.

• Like 1

Water changing system complete.

There is no mechanical equipment or sensors involved. Everything is controlled by siphon. A single 1/4 ID tube feeds into the tank. This tube both takes water in and replenishes the new water.

Siphons are controlled by clamps pinching off the lines. Open the line on the left of the t fitting and the siphon to remove water starts. Close that and open the line from the fresh salt water and the tank is replenished.

It takes a total of 2 minutes to complete a 1 gallon change. I intend to do this daily.

This is all done behind the wall - in the utility room - so no need to drag buckets to the tank and over carpet

0C44AE42-E2F3-40E7-9A3F-310E57D9F41F.jpg

38E45598-0B12-4429-A9BF-06B79022F4AE.jpg

• Like 2

Nice water change setup. One day I wish to have a fish room behind or near to my tank to house the sump etc. I would definitely set up something like this for convenience.

• Like 2

Good idea there!

Nice water change setup. One day I wish to have a fish room behind or near to my tank to house the sump etc. I would definitely set up something like this for convenience.

Thanks. Its VERY convenient and hopefully better for the tank. .5gal to 1 gal water changes daily is about 3-7%. I'm hoping this allows me to stop running GFO in the reactor.

Here is another pic of the complete setup

AFDF482E-460D-4564-A205-AAA7B3D5E44C.jpg

• Like 1

:blink::eek::haha::bowdown:

Lol.

Honestly I changed it all up when you asked about the sensors and mechanics. The question alone pushed me over the edge that I didn't feel good about that. This is really a safe method. Manual intervention to activate.

Thanks for the help, lol.

Lol.

Honestly I changed it all up when you asked about the sensors and mechanics. The question alone pushed me over the edge that I didn't feel good about that. This is really a safe method. Manual intervention to activate.

Thanks for the help, lol.

No problem. I seem to always make people second guess their own judgment lol.

• Like 1

Took my 4 year old nephew to the LFS and he picked out a fish.

Soooooo now I own a Ruby Red Dragonet named Spiderman.

20160118_180734.jpg

20160118_180814.jpg

He's was eating frozen at the fish store. Fingers crossed he continues in my tank

• Like 3

Now that I have the tank stabilized I am working to improve my colors.

Recently kicked my light (Kessil 360) up to 75% and shortened the ramp up period.

de369a70-461a-4100-9e8d-46a5fac2bc77.jpg

• Like 3

Took my 4 year old nephew to the LFS and he picked out a fish.

Soooooo now I own a Ruby Red Dragonet named Spiderman.

20160118_180734.jpg

20160118_180814.jpg

He's was eating frozen at the fish store. Fingers crossed he continues in my tank

Watch out I had one also......it fit through the factory top and the sides of the tank.......fish jerky......They are sweet little fish.....

• Like 2

Now that I have the tank stabilized I am working to improve my colors.

Recently kicked my light (Kessil 360) up to 75% and shortened the ramp up period.

de369a70-461a-4100-9e8d-46a5fac2bc77.jpg

What intensity are you running it at?

I run mine at 100% at all times. I did have it up to 75% but that just grew more algae. I think I am at 60% now at full ramp up. On the color I should say.

Watch out I had one also......it fit through the factory top and the sides of the tank.......fish jerky......They are sweet little fish.....

For sure. I've already found in him in overflow once. Poor guy. I'm ordering the IM overflow guards to keep him safe. I also have an acrylic cover that will be much more effective than that IM mesh.

What intensity are you running it at?

I run mine at 100% at all times. I did have it up to 75% but that just grew more algae. I think I am at 60% now at full ramp up.

Interesting you ask that. I am currently up'ing my intensity weekly. Right now I peak at 75% for 5 hours. On Friday I'll kick that up to 80%. Honestly - I could easily see myself getting up to 90-100%.

I was at 60% for far too long and all my SPS browned up pretty bad. Anxious to get them showing some brilliance again.

• Like 1

I started mine out at 100% on the intensity and run about 60% color at max ramp up. I have yet to lose any color knock on wood :lol: I got a small frag in a grow out competition that was losing color and now is turning a nice blue. Only a select few pieces of SPS so hopefully it all goes good.

Sure wish I had all the real estate you do ;)

• Like 1