Top Shelf Aquatics

What is this stuff? White, stringy, suffocating

Steelen

lol I know you can talk really deep with microbiology, its your job. I must admit I'm as surprised as everyone of the speed this thing is growing at, and it could be possibly a new species in all actuality. Marine fungi are so pathetically understudied its sad. I think the best thing for us both is to look at this matter with a very open mind and remember the oceans are full of surprises.

they are largely unstudied because there havent been many found. Fungi are primarily land organisms.

they are largely unstudied because there havent been many found. Fungi are primarily land organisms.

primarily, but those exceptions make such an astonishing diversity, I've heard of quite unusual fungi having been found in oceans, but since they like moisture so much its actually kinda surprising there aren't more even in freshwater.

BRS. Dry (Reef-Saver).

oops sorry I meant the frag, what part of the world did the frag come from? If you know, because maybe we can find a specific part of the world this fungus comes from.

oops sorry I meant the frag, what part of the world did the frag come from? If you know, because maybe we can find a specific part of the world this fungus comes from.

Its from the USA I think. My LFS here in Southwest Florida sold it to me. Everything from them has been doing great. I am just worried because its spreading through the sand now I see it pop up everywhere. When we setup the 10 gallon in a week or so I'll just use my seeded rocks and throw this one out. Not even going to use the sand anymore. And then inspect all the corals and clean them really well!

Its from the USA I think. My LFS here in Southwest Florida sold it to me. Everything from them has been doing great. I am just worried because its spreading through the sand now I see it pop up everywhere. When we setup the 10 gallon in a week or so I'll just use my seeded rocks and throw this one out. Not even going to use the sand anymore. And then inspect all the corals and clean them really well!

sounds like a waste in my opinion, everything living on earth has a predator or a limiting biological agent, everything. It could be pretty cool to figure out the destroyer of this fungus. Also can/ will help other aquarists in figuring out how to keep it in check. Also in the event you encounter it again you can fight it instead of giving up.

sounds like a waste in my opinion, everything living on earth has a predator or a limiting biological agent, everything. It could be pretty cool to figure out the destroyer of this fungus. Also can/ will help other aquarists in figuring out how to keep it in check. Also in the event you encounter it again you can fight it instead of giving up.

When I set up the 10g, ill take this rock out and let it airdry outside to see if that helps. I could also leave it in the 5 for a period without light to figure out if that is causing it. It has spreaded through the sandbed now also. Its popping up all over the place.

When I set up the 10g, ill take this rock out and let it airdry outside to see if that helps. I could also leave it in the 5 for a period without light to figure out if that is causing it. It has spreaded through the sandbed now also. Its popping up all over the place.

do you have any crabs?

Ive got some hermits

the crabs like gorilla and emeralds and similar crabs would be a most likely candidate to eat this fungus,or at least give it a try.

I'm guessing hermit crabs really don't care about this fungus?

the crabs like gorilla and emeralds and similar crabs would be a most likely candidate to eat this fungus,or at least give it a try.

I'm guessing hermit crabs really don't care about this fungus?

No they don't.

I'll see if I can borrow a emerald from my LFS or a local reefer.

No they don't.

I'll see if I can borrow a emerald from my LFS or a local reefer.

if that doesn't work, then comes some real deep researching. If you can figure what eats thisthis, your information can be of great help to other reefers.
  • 3 weeks later...

if that doesn't work, then comes some real deep researching. If you can figure what eats thisthis, your information can be of great help to other reefers.

Picked up a Emerald from the LFS. They borrowed it to me to see if it helps. They are curious as well.

I stopped using a toothbrush to see what the real consequences are and the growth rate it. Now it just turned into an experiment.

So far the crab hasn't touched it but has been in the tank for a short period.

Picked up a Emerald from the LFS. They borrowed it to me to see if it helps. They are curious as well.

I stopped using a toothbrush to see what the real consequences are and the growth rate it. Now it just turned into an experiment.

So far the crab hasn't touched it but has been in the tank for a short period.

well case number 4 just came up last week, this stuff is occurring more, I'm wondering why it is popping up more recently. Sponge, fungus, whatever it is, its particularly invasive. I hope the crab gets to investigating soon, is it still growing at the same rate?
Cencalfishguy56

well case number 4 just came up last week, this stuff is occurring more, I'm wondering why it is popping up more recently. Sponge, fungus, whatever it is, its particularly invasive. I hope the crab gets to investigating soon, is it still growing at the same rate?

Amphipod the detective haha I'm interested seems like more of a bitch than GHA

rone_kevin66

Definitely wondering what this stuff is. It definitely seems like it it's coming from zoa frags and that my be it's food source. I'm not a zoa fan but I do hope you find something that will eat this stuff.

I'm actually debating making a white stuff awareness thread ( DON'T NOBODY TRY STEALING MY IDEA! I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST!) So more reefers can be prepared to deal with it, I'm thinking maybe it is potentially traceable to a particular distributor, or to a specific region of the earth? Any thoughts on this?

Cencalfishguy56

I'm actually debating making a white stuff awareness thread ( DON'T NOBODY TRY STEALING MY IDEA! I THOUGHT OF IT FIRST!) So more reefers can be prepared to deal with it, I'm thinking maybe it is potentially traceable to a particular distributor, or to a specific region of the earth? Any thoughts on this?

Better get on it brotha

In some spots its disappearing and I noticed my snails eating around those areas.

Things I have done since posting this:

- Adjusted feeding (reduced, only got one small clown)

- Did a 24 hour blackout period

- Added Emerald

I noticed the reduction in place after adding my emerald but havent seen him close to during the day. So might be active during the night?

Which LFS?

Fishy Business Aquatics in Fort Myers across from Edison Mall.

That's weird, maybe he is working on it at night. The snails on it are a good sign also, they might be eating damaged tissue.

• 2 weeks later...

On a side note and have you any idea of the origins of your rocks?

I missed this. The live rock it came in on came in on a shipment of combo rocks from Vietnam my LFS got.

I assume it came in on that rock and didn't transfer from somewhere else. Plus, it showed up before I really added anything like corals to the tank.

I missed this. The live rock it came in on came in on a shipment of combo rocks from Vietnam my LFS got. I assume it came in on that rock and didn't transfer from somewhere else. Plus, it showed up before I really added anything like corals to the tank.

thank you for noticing at least lol :) if we can establish a trend of west pacific sources for this stuff we got some valuable information of the organism.
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived