inTank Media Baskets

:( Radion xr15w pro Disco balling?

CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW

so I recently picked up an xr15w pro to put it up against a kessil a160we tuna blue, and initial thoughts is that im kind of disappointed? I did the start set up follow instructions etc, but no matter what color combination I do, or intensity, I can see all the little colors blotching all over the substrate like a floor of frootloops

The light is about 6-7 inches off the water line, attempting to light am 18x18x16 tank. Is there a reason why this is occuring? The kessil doesnt do this, ,and its half the wattage. I know its a tighter cluster overall, but there is no way radions have this great rep and do this to my tank and others... ?

I find that this happens with more turbulent water. When I turn the pumps off and the top is completely still I don't get any of it. I moved the powerheads down just a bit to get less turbulence at the top and it's helped. but I'll agree with you - it's a bit more disco ball than I really expected from a pricey unit.

CatfishSoupFTW

i tried turning off the pumps, and slowing down the top surface agitation, and while it did help out, I could still see the colors. I tried raising it as well by an inch, 2 inches, etc, but little to no difference.

the light itself, falls off real nice on most of the tank, but on some parts of my rock work it looks like a rainbow. same still goes with the substrate, subtle, but i still see red, and green lines appearing.

When I pair it with my kessil, its a beautiful combo, resolving issues that i had on both ends, but not worth 1000 dollars for just a 21 cube.

i enjoy the overall spread, and it does nicely in the warmer tones compared to the kessil, but for actinic, and overall quality it falls short I feel. May see if I can return it or sell it. Should have been blown away, not fighting to get it right I feel - especially for the dough.

Archived