Pod Your Reef

Nano Box LED Strips : New Product

DaveFason

The only thing I don't understand (and this may just be from lack of design experience) is why not use connectors for them? So that instead of soldering each strip together you would just plug them in to each other, similar to how computer power is done. I know it would be more expensive by I imagine it would make it a good bit faster to assemble or replace if needed.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cost. For Dave, being a one man show and the boss, labor is cheap. Adding a two connectors to each board, then harnesses with connectors will cost more than the labor he would put in for soldering a few wires.

jedimasterben

The only thing I don't understand (and this may just be from lack of design experience) is why not use connectors for them? So that instead of soldering each strip together you would just plug them in to each other, similar to how computer power is done. I know it would be more expensive by I imagine it would make it a good bit faster to assemble or replace if needed.

You have the cost of the SMT connectors on the board, then the wire connectors to go board to board. Let's say the connector wires are made to 3" length and he goes to make a custom one and needs 4" length? With a quality soldering iron, it takes a couple of seconds to solder.

ninja'd by evil.

Paleoreef103

They won't be made for primary lighting for saltwater ;) There aren't enough LEDs to be able to properly fill in the 'white gap' from 460-500nm and still have enough white, royal, and violet.

Fair enough. I think I can guess the actinic then (4 RB-T, 1 Blue-ES, 1 Violet), but I'm not sure about the freshwater (2 WW-T, 2 NW-T, 1 Lime-ES, 1-violet?) or fuge version (4 WW-T, 1 Deep Red-Rebel, 1 Violet?). Just some guesses.

These will also be great for people getting started in reef tank, fish only, fresh water, planted FW and supplement. You would be amazed how many people are out there that want a simple light, on/off with some zoas, leathers and simple stuff.

As for connectors, maybe in the future. I have a couple gnarly soldering irons. You should see how good I am at this stuff. ;)

-D

I really think that these would be good for like the Mr.Aqua bookshelf tanks,like you said Dave with some zoa's and Acan's. Neither need much light,especially Acan's. They do really good is low light. I know I personally don't mind on and off with just a timer. Especially if the spectrum is good. I have 4:1 (blues:white) and it's a good spectrum.

I really think that these would be good for like the Mr.Aqua bookshelf tanks,like you said Dave with some zoa's and Acan's. Neither need much light,especially Acan's. They do really good is low light. I know I personally don't mind on and off with just a timer. Especially if the spectrum is good. I have 4:1 (blues:white) and it's a good spectrum.

They will have a port for simple PWM plug in. So Bluefish and Storm ready. :)

Steensj2004

They will have a port for simple PWM plug in. So Bluefish and Storm ready. :)

Going to have a fuge version. seeing as I am half retarded when it comes to light spectrum I have to ask. No idea, but i've seen a lot of fuge lights with lots of red....

Cost. For Dave, being a one man show and the boss, labor is cheap. Adding a two connectors to each board, then harnesses with connectors will cost more than the labor he would put in for soldering a few wires.

You have the cost of the SMT connectors on the board, then the wire connectors to go board to board. Let's say the connector wires are made to 3" length and he goes to make a custom one and needs 4" length? With a quality soldering iron, it takes a couple of seconds to solder.

ninja'd by evil.

Derp.. lol good points. I was forgetting:

A) Dave is a one man army

B) He does custom work

New arrays are orders and should be arriving within two weeks.

Needing some help. I really like the name "BEAM". I do all the art work and here are a few that I liked. Thoughts?

17034803028_70f6265fc7_b.jpgUntitled-1 by NanoBoxReef, on Flickr

-Dave

1 & 2 are my favorites. or maybe if you took 2 and curved it like 3.. or took the font from 2 and put it closer together like in 1. in any case I think 2 is my favorite font.

Archived