Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to hang a MH pendant

myelin

I am considering a MH pendant over my 20L and need some ideas on how to hang it over the tank.

I can't drill holes in the ceiling b/c I am in an apt. I was thinking about a stand that could be behind the tank that I could hang a pendant from.

My idea (very crude) was to weld some 2.5" tubing to a weight plate (the workout type) and use a 90" fitting to make an L shape. It will look ghetto, so I am wanting some better ideas.

The hole in the cieling would be tiny, and go unnoticed by your apt. manager. That is, unless, he coems in and checks every so often.

FWIW...I would build a canopy over the top of my tank and then cut a hole in the top of the canopy and install a couple of 90 degree angle iron/aluminum pices the width of the opening and placed my pendent on that if it is the square type pendent. This is what I have done over my 135 reef tank and it works great! and it also keeps ALL of that light in my tank and off the walls and ceiling and I didnt have to put holes in my apartment either! Just some food for thought...

Well, I don't have the light yet. I would be willing to build something over the top of my 20L. I have a feeling heat might be a problem with a MH setup under a canopy.

the LFS i go to has it set up so that theres one metal rod coming from one side and instead of welding another piece to make it an L he bent it so that its a curved L and that doesnt look too bad

good luck

mike

This is a very crude idea, but I was thinking about having a weight plate (the workout type, 25lbs.) as the base, and welding some 3" or so tubing to the base. I'd use a 90* piece at the bend to go over the tank, and then some more tubing to go over the tank. I could run the cord down the tube, and it would be cheap.

Can you poke holes in the wall?

Just mount one of those cheap-o "L" bracket shelves. You know, the ones with the peice of plywood on top, and the 2 "L" brackets to hold it on. You could probabaly get a piece out of the scrap bin at Home Depot. Just paint it if it sticks out.

Then mount the pendant to that. So it's like a false cieling

What would be better - a pendant, or mounting MH lights in a wooden canopy? This is a 20L.

I can drill holes, but I want it to look clean. My tank is in a corner, so that 2 walls make a 90* angle, and the tank is the hypotenuse.

I would go with the pendant. I built a really nice wood hood for my tank, but ditched it for the cheap Dr Fosters&Smith double PC fixture( I replaced the lamps with real ones) It stabilized my temps because I get more air flow across the surface. As soon as I get mt 70W HQI setup I will retrofit it to this fixture and hang it from the ceiling.

Archived