What Corals Can You Keep Under 2x65wattPCs in a 20Long???

Mekong

What Corals Can You Keep Under 2x65wattPCs in a 20Long??

Approx. dimensions 30x12x12, considering 2" sandbed

Are LPS an option? Clams? Anemones? SPS?

here's a link to BAIN's nano-reef... i think he has the same lighting as you, 130w PC's... it'll give you a good idea of what you could keep. it's best to do a little reading though, that way you can be sure you're not doing anything wrong

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ls+can+you+keep

oh, as for clams, i'll be cautious about adding one, but you can see in this link:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ls+can+you+keep

halfway down the post someone says they're running 2x65w and their clam is doing perfectly fine. dunno if it'll work for everyone, so be careful!

You're right.. it's not just about light. The woman that works at my LFS has a BTA under a few low wattage pc's. She feeds it ALOT. She's had it for years.. but I'd swear it was about to die. It's bleached, and gaping... but she's being honest about how long she's had it. I still swear it's gonna die.. but it keeps going.

Originally posted by xcajx

I have realized that if you have to ask (which is always the right thing to do) about anemones, then you shouldn't get one.

The peope who don't ask and don't know end up killing them or screwing something up majorly.

The people who do ask realize the limitations, save a life, or get properly prepared and learn to the degree they no longer have to ask - they know.

It isn't always about light - we have all seen exceptions to this rule - I think it is about experience with these animals and tank-keeping in general.

Chris

Thanks for being absolutely no help at all.

You know you could expand on their requirements or at least point me in the direction of a good source…

I'll bite

I'd say a 175w MH should be minimum for lighting on a shallow tank. (150w HQI would be fine also). Depending on the species.. some need really deep sand beds, others like to be on the rocks. Most all need really good flow and very good oxygen. If you're planning a small tank, don't plan on getting much else in the way of corals.. as anenomes do wander the tank from time to time until they find someplace they like. Also, consider prestine water conditions an absolute.

Originally posted by Xx_de_xX

I'll bite

I'd say a 175w MH should be minimum for lighting on a shallow tank.  (150w HQI would be fine also).

My E. Quadricolor hides under an overhang under 250 DE's. They are generally found in lagoon areas, and the light penetration can be limited at best.

Others Like H. Magnifica live high on reef slopes, or high points, looking for great light and rapid random water movement. I think the best thing to do is to get a book on anemones.

ReefMonkeee

Since everyone is talking about how important the "lighting" is, i think i saw a post earlier today that someone made a 175W MH for 110 which is still 20 buckz cheaper than the coralife PC your buying, if you dont mind doing a lil DIY than maybe you can try that?

Thanks ReefMonkeee it seems that is probably going to be the best solution for lighting.

Will the tank however need a chiller?

ReefMonkeee

It is really worth it getting all worked up over this. yeah like how i got all worked up about one of the other thread cuz they called me veggeterian but shoot dont give a **** about it now. De was there she knows.

Mekong, by asking the questions you have asked, your tank must be fairly new.

I am not a PHD of clams, but If you want to keep a clam, you must know that a clam will need certain lighting requirements, maintained calcium levels, proper feeding, and other needs for it to survive healthy. If you decide to keep a clam in a young tank, you could run into problems, and that could make the hobby stressful.

I suggest that you try to go to Barnes and Nobles and find some books on the marine aquarist subject and read it there. I think this is what you want when you said you wanted good sources. You might be able to find something on clams, corals, and anenomes there.

btw, keep posting, you will learn alot, but you might become frustrated with some answers that poeple give you. Just take the comments or suggestions as advice, ignore it if you want, either way, I think you will learn something.

-The End

Originally posted by Mekong

Oh and  Xx_de_xX

Do you run any cooling on your nano?

Mekong.. I have a 10 dollar clip on fan that runs 24/7 Keeps my tank cool enough.

I don't have a fan in my hood, and I stuck a temperature probe in there, just to find out what the temp was. It hit 127 degs. I'm positive that if I stuck a fan in there, my temps would remain 100% below 80

Originally posted by ReefMonkeee

It is really worth it getting all worked up over this. yeah like how i got all worked up about one of the other thread cuz they called me veggeterian but shoot dont give a **** about it now. De was there she knows.

She? :|

I believe the best beginner book is the natural marine aquarium by Tullock. or The conscientious marine aquarist by Fenner.

Archived