Pod Your Reef

INSAAAANE 10gallon.

Undertheradar

Originally posted by kadaytar

Why does he need coraline? What is the use of coraline else than its beautiful look?

Kadir

Exactly!!! It's a PITA. I can't wait to get my 70W MH from LampDR so mine will turn white and be easier to scrape off.

Newbie reefer: " I can't wait for the coraline to grow and I'm going to get some Xenia".

6 months later: "WTH was I thinking".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undertheradar

Thats the truth. I think of coralline like green algae in freshwater tanks. Sure, it is a sign that the tank is healthy, but when you get the plants in there and all...you really dont want it any more.

That is the truth.You always want what you dont have and then when you get it ,you dont want it anymore.That is why nano reefs are like crack,cause there is always soemthing you want new.

Originally posted by tonym

Exactly!!! It's a PITA. I can't wait to get my 70W MH from LampDR so mine will turn white and be easier to scrape off.

Won't happen, check out my tank pics in the link below. 8 mos runnin' the 70W, and the coralline has BOOMED. I do topoff 100% kalk, that may have something to do with it.

What is with all the negative comments? Maybe more people would be willing to post their tanks if there wasn't a barrage of ...

"you should do this"

or

"why'd you do that, I woulda_____ "

I think it rocks, from picture one.

Wet, I remember the thread, printed it, and saved it in my log book ;)

Originally posted by corriewf

That is why nano reefs are like crack,cause there is always something you want new.

You could say that about reefs in general :ninja:

Do you allow your clams to attach? If not, how do you keep them from attaching to the rockwork? If you do, what happens when you have to move them?

Tank is sweet, love them clams.

Clams of the Crocea and Maxima will attach to a rock. I prefer to leave them be. The best thing you can do for yourself if you forsee any of the above you mentioned, is to put the clam on a small rock, and it will attach to that. In my minibow, it attached in less than a week. In the big tank, one attached in a week or so, the other took about 3. It all depends on if they are happy or not.

There is nothing wrong with constructive critism Birdman.That is in part why we post pics of our tank(s) on here.I mean from my perspective , if someone thinks of something I can do better to make my tank look good I am not going to take offense.However , people can tend to be somewhat rude with their comments and I can understand why some are quick to become defensive.

kris_willard

I have been thinking about putting a clam in my 5.5 AGA. How long should a guy wait before the tank is mature enough?

Originally posted by kris_willard

I have been thinking about putting a clam  in  my 5.5 AGA. How long should a guy  wait before the tank is mature enough?

I'd say a good measure is when you are growing coralline algae on the glass/rock. That is usually when the water quality is good.

Originally posted by birdman204

What is with all the negative comments?

I wasn't trying to be negative.

I love a clam dominate tank and those clams are beauts'.

Hind sight being 20/20... Well there's not much I can do about the coraline, but scrape, scrape, scrape. I just wish I hadn't added that Xenia. Pull, pull, pull. Yank, yank, yank...

You pull your xenia out? I wish I was that brave, feels like a big Loogie.... I prefer the hold and slice with a razor method. :ninja2:

Wet, do you have a picture of the clove polyps?

Undertheradar

I have many old pics in the archives of the cloves, but I can get you a fresh one tomorrow. As for the box asked about before, it is my ric/shroom prop box. I made it out of plexi and it hangs inside the tank with little holes on the sides. It allows me to split shrooms and the like...as well as attach them to rocks w/o getting spit around the tank into the corners. It measures 3"x3"x4"tall. At the time of the pic, I had the new pair of anemone crabs in there as well for quarantine. As for flow, yes, as for right now, the eheim is the only return pump. It does 315gph @ 0', but in my setup it runs about 250gph...making a nice flow all around the tank. I have gone as far as 400gph in a 10g however, but as of yet, it seems like plenty. If needed I can add a maxi jet (I have all sizes) and a natural wave maker for a little more surge motion.

Ooooooo, my blue torte is on the way!

BTW , are you using reef crystals ?What do you use to keep you ca and alk up and at what levels are they normaly at?

• 1 month later...

corriewf,

yes, i use reef crystals. I use the KENT 2-part alk/calcium dosing...I dose nearly every day to keep the calcium up above 400. It is a challenge since the clams were added. My stony corals have slowed down a bit since I added the 5 croceas...but they are still growing. The clams have already put on an extra layer or two...very happy about that...they are about $90 ea. I suppose (ultra croceas). It is pretty much the biggest challenge about this tank...so many clams in such a small area. Not to worry. I have plans. The clams are going to go into my new 20" cube as soon as it's broken in enough....and that has a korallin reactor with a pH controller. The 20" tank will be my new SPS tank...with a connected prop tank for the frags of yellow w/ purple tip aspera...blue tort....blood acro...teal secale...etc. that everyone bugs me to make frags of yet I dont have the room to frag in my main tank. On the good side...I once had slight nitrates showing up before I had clams...prolly due to all the organics in the sump's DSB. The clams have dropped that reading to 0.

ankjones,

the sump is another ten gallon with an acrylic divider siliconed in 6" from the side. In the 6" part my eheim pump is mounted along with my battery-powered auto-top-off (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=29093). The fuge also has one of my "smallest external skimmers" (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=30941) hanging on the back of it. ?The fuge houses multiple types of macro...racemosa, cup, razor, mexicana , chaeto, chondria, gelidiella, Gelidium pusillum, bryopsis. The sump used to house a olive brittle star, but I have replaced him with a couple peppermint shrimps, skunk cleaner, blue porcelean crabs, sally light foot, emerald crab, and sand sifter star. These were meant for the main tank, but my 6-line wrasse seems to have developed a taste for shrimp recently...killing 2 the 2 peppermints and skunk that were once in there. So, until the new tank is ready for them...this is their home. It gets lit by 2x36wattPC lights from 12am-12pm (main light is on from 3pm-11pm).

The overflow?

here:http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...hlight=overflow

For the question by skylsdale...there are three 'extreme' things about this tank...

1. A 250wattDE MH 10,000K on a 10g (recently swapped out the 150watt)

2. Growing five 4" croceas in it

3. There are over 40 other corals in the system...mostly SPS and montis

...you try doing that and see if you can get it right.

• 1 month later...

I love your overflow UDR, Great job. Thanks for the idea of using a small brochure box wetworx101.

I am planning on drilling my 15g acrylic tank when I go pick it up at the lfs. If I drill a one inch bulk head hole on the side of my tank like you did UTR, and fit a bulkhead into that, would that be rated 300gph overflow?

Sorry for asking, I will do the research.

OKay I found the bulk head answer here

INSANE! INSANITY! CHAOS! CHAOSITY! That's pretty cool in there though, I don't see how you keep track of all those frags! Do you keep a list, or have good memory?

Undertheradar

wow, you found the thread from when I was wetworx101! GJ! its been so long...

I find it barely albe to keep up with 300gph...but not because of the bulkhead...because of the mesh I use. Im sure if you were to dremel some larger slots into the overflow or use a bigger mesh it wouldnt be a problem.

Archived