Top Shelf Aquatics

Thinking about a nano reef

KevinS

Hi,

Right now I am just looking at the feesibility of one of these nano-reefs. I have been digging around at posts on here and articles, etc.. including the information over at http://home1.gte.net/rhe1/nanoreef/frindex.htm

I have 4 freshwater tanks (55, 46, 29 and 12) so I do have experience with fishkeeping, but none with saltwater. Every article I read says to start large with saltwater (which makes sense from my experience with freshwater) but with these nano tanks I see so many posts on here with people that know nothing about fishkeeping have success with these nano tanks.

So would I be getting in over my head or not? Would a 10 gallon be a good place to start? or would it be better if I take my 29 (currently just a fry holding tank) and make the 10 gallon a sump so I have more water volume, but the lights and such would cost a lot more. (OR, from what I have read, using the larger tank as the sump works well, therefore make the 10 gallon the nano tank, and use the 29 as a sump?)

The biggest concern I have right now is for when I go on vacation. Which is usually a week or so around thanksgiving and christmas. I would have no one that I trust enough to give the key my house close enough to me to help take care of the tank. I have read about top-off systems, so it sounds like I can rely on that to keep the specific gravity correct. But what about food? do you need to worry about it for up to 2 weeks of absence? can you use automatic feeders like in freshwater? I have read so many horror stories of what happened to peoples tanks when they went on vacation, and they had someone looking after the tank.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Kevin S.

I would recommand start with biggest tank as possible. I have same route with you that have multiple freshwater tanks and convert to SW. I started with 20gal(not happy too small and overcrowed with corals) then upgrade to 40gal and from power compact lighting and now thinking of MH lighting. If you want to save money in long run, start with biggest tank and MH light. As of your vacaction, you probably have to worry about topoff(unless automatic). you can train your fish to eat flake food then use your auto feeder. Good Luck

printerdown01

IMO you will be just fine jumping into nanos!!! The key is figuring out what you want to keep and THEN planing the tank to fit its needs... If you do this you won't have a problem... This place is the perfect place for beginers, since they have access to soo many nano-reefers and their opinions/knowledge.....

It really isn't that hard!

*you will be fine starting out with the 10 gallon...

kevin,

wow, i had forgotten about that link. that was one of the first nanos i saw online. whew! the site's changed a little but not by much as i seem to recall. (clunk!) :P

i'd like to call nanos an advanced subject (like carpet anenomes and sps) but with an adequate background (extensive FW like you have for instance) one can make up the gap. just as you already realize that the topoff is a major concern in nanos. being the most critical aspect for systems below 3g imo.

patience is more the key element many people overlook when starting out imo. you're already doing the research so if you're also willing to wait and put in the time for setting up and cycling you should be fine like printerdown says. his point about working backwards so you design your system to fit your desired livestock is dead-on imo. good luck! ;)

I just started the hobby last week, and alredy enjoy it. I like you have long FW experience, and that helps a lot. I learned from my mistakes (long ago) to avoid impulsiveness and be patient.

This is more fun than I thought. I have NO fish, no livestock, just live rock and live sand. But then I spend ours staring at all those life forms in the live rock. It is amazing. And the tank is already looking pretty! I can't believe what it would be like when I actually add some livestock!

However, I got into nanos thinking it would not be that much of an expense. Wrong. I spent 500 bucks already, and I haven't even added livestock yet, nor bought lights or skimmer (long term plans). Ouch! But I figured if I get into it, I get into it right.

And last, this site is very helpful (both ppl and info), keep coming!

Archived