Coral Vue Hydros

Ant's Retired 7g Shallow- Thread Moved

antsypants

antsypants

Snapped a couple pics from my visit home this weekend :)

Zoas, rock nems, macroalgae.. 3 of my favorite reef things!

IMG_7125_zpslspbljj2.jpg

Looks like a mess :lol:

IMG_7128_zpsi9otsjy7.jpg

Porcelain w. Nem

IMG_7130_zpsdckwq4ob.jpg

Mushroom garden. Lost my green ric for unknown reasons, gotta find another one :closedeyes: But I did hack my orangey/blue one into about 5 pieces cause it was getting too big. You can see two of the pieces here, and they're already growing new mouths! Crazy stuff.

IMG_7131_zps1agnuizn.jpg

Topdown:

IMG_7132_zpspfanfwgm.jpg

FTS:

IMG_7141_zpslfs6fgeq.jpg

Not too sure where I want to take the tank from here. So far the macros have been quickly and inexpensively filling in the tank and taking over the rockwork so I don't really have an excuse to buy more stuff haha. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 more rock nems to hang out on the rock and sand in the front left side of the tank and a Pederson shrimp to swim around in them. And maybe another masked goby to hang out with the one I have. He doesn't seem too lonely though ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Made it out to LARS this weekend and finally got a couple new frags for this tank :) Had a great time meeting everyone and actually managed to not spend too much so go me lol

Picked up some Blue Phantoms from LC and Goblin Fire from another vendor

IMG_7508_zpsb7bnf3ay.jpg

Also grabbed some Emeralds from another vendor but they haven't fully opened yet so took some pics of the other zoas that have been growing out.

IMG_7511_zpsnnedcxzv.jpg

IMG_7512_zpsmvkxc3ju.jpg

Thanks for looking, I'll try to get some more pics later. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Welp, it's been awhile :D Been busy with summer classes but I'm home for a couple weeks before the fall quarter starts so I'll be paying some actual attention to the tank until I leave again. Unfortunately, something's been wiping out my zoas and I'm not sure what. It's pretty frustrating since the same thing has happened before. Basically the zoas will stop opening, shrink, and eventually melt away. The encrusting mat that connects the polyps turns into really thin strings and before I know it, the entire colony is gone. This has happened in my 3 gallon and it's happening now. I've already lost the king midas (20+ polyps) rainbow hornets (10+) and the zoas I picked up from LARS. The lazer lemons and red hornets don't look too good either.

Blurry pic but you can kind of make out a couple of the remaining rainbow hornets

IMG_7670_zpsvghjzoyg.jpg

Lost about half my red hornet colony

IMG_7664_zpsjd7bxlbo.jpg

The other zoas seem happy

IMG_7675_zpst3qpzhvs.jpg

I've also been battling flatworms and bryopsis for the past couple of days. Also saw some zoa eating nudis awhile back but I plucked them all out and haven't seen them since, though if I had to guess what's been taking out the zoas, those and fungus would top my list. It's disheartening to witness some of my favorite morphs melt and it's really a guessing game which is going to be next. If whatever is causing this spreads to the rest of the collection, I'm not really sure what countermeasures to take. This, the other pests, and the fact that I'll be away from the tank again soon puts me in a pretty bad situation, and I don't think my parents will be up for any complicated treatments.

I really like the way this tank looks though, it's just that underneath the surface is a slew of issues. Hopefully a breakdown won't be necessary and I can get the tank on the right track before I leave again. Anyways, not too much great news but yep :/

Shade

IMG_7671_zps8ehwebzp.jpg

FTS

IMG_7657_zpsulmb05jl.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Well look who's back in town...

What happened to the tank? It's supposed to have water and rock and corals and stuff in it!

You're doing it wrong.

Literally. Santa Barbaras got a wildfire going on, finals are postponed and I'm home a week early! 

It's been awhile though. I gave up the bryopsis fight and it's been tough getting myself motivated- tank was too ugly :( all the coral and inhabitants I could find have been relocated while this one dries out. Not sure how long bryopsis spores last... planning to rewash the tank after a week and see where to go from there.

But it will eventually be an aquarium again! I will do this forum right :)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, antsypants said:

Literally. Santa Barbaras got a wildfire going on, finals are postponed and I'm home a week early! 

It's been awhile though. I gave up the bryopsis fight and it's been tough getting myself motivated- tank was too ugly :( all the coral and inhabitants I could find have been relocated while this one dries out. Not sure how long bryopsis spores last... planning to rewash the tank after a week and see where to go from there.

But it will eventually be an aquarium again! I will do this forum right :)

Ah bummer, I get it though. Looking forward to seeing something new up soon! 

These fires are wreaking havoc. 

16 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Ah bummer, I get it though. Looking forward to seeing something new up soon! 

These fires are wreaking havoc. 

Thanks! I think I'll be keeping it simple as usual. Macros, zoas, easy stuff. So basically the same as before lol. 

I do want to try a deeper sand bed relative to the tanks depth ~1.5 in of sand for a depth of about 6 in. Any thoughts? 

And sorry to hear about the 9g! :( the new tank looks promising though:)

Well. It took longer than I thought, but I managed to get most of the stuff I wanted to get the tank back up and running. I'm currently working for an aquarium servicing company and get pretty good deals on hardware and dry goods so I'm just slapping things on, seeing how they do, and cutting back if it's too much (MP10 might already be a bit overkill). Goal for this tank's second run is to get some SPS going :) To do that I'm trying out a QQ1 skimmer that I took out of the filter shell and just added to the back chamber that it luckily fits into. Hopefully it starts to pull some skim but it's hard to adjust the water level at the moment. Still need to pick up a carbon and GFO media bag as well. Will also experiment with dosing but that's for later. 

But for right now, some pictures of what I've got!

20190404_093521_zpsqtc7de4e.jpg

20190404_093632_zps9o9r59xk.jpg

20190404_093653_zps0xeuzj9i.jpg

20190404_093719_zpse26q3o3j.jpg

Currently on its 3rd day of cycling (lol) with Dr. Tim's one and only. Ammonia at 0.50, NO3 at 5 ppm so chugging along. Hoping for no ammonia by end of the week but we'll see. Stay tuned!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Yay! Finally starting to get splotches of diatoms :) hard to tell from the pic but they're there. Hopefully this means my cycle is nearing completion after 2 weeks. I'll check my levels tomorrow to get a better idea of what it's like in there. If my ammonia drops and stays at zero by the end of this week I think I'll pick up a small CUC to start things off.

1x nassarius

2-3x ceriths

2-3x nano conches

I also want some micro brittle stars again but that can wait as I don't exactly have a source of those.

20190414_211132_zpsbqdl8g86.jpg

starting to get impatient but I'm almost there 😁

21 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Woo hoo! Back in action!

Looking forward to watching this tank grow! :naughtydance:

thanks! It feels like I've missed so much but seeing tanks like yours still running it's like I never really left 😊the 17 g looks amazing btw!

So I thought it'd be fine to just continue updating the new build in this old thread but I figure it's going to be different enough to warrant its own thread. If you're following along here in this one, here's the link to the new thread: 

I'll be updating that one instead so come join me over there! :) 

• Like 1
On 4/15/2019 at 12:39 PM, antsypants said:

thanks! It feels like I've missed so much but seeing tanks like yours still running it's like I never really left 😊the 17 g looks amazing btw!

Ha that's good to hear! Thanks very much

-- going to follow your new thread now