Cultivated Reef

Ant's Retired 7g Shallow- Thread Moved

antsypants

This tank had a good 2 year run from 2015 to 2017, unfortunately it was shutdown after an unidentified event wiped out a large majority of the corals. I gave it some thought recently and decided I wanted a tank again so I cleaned this tank up and restarted it. The build thread for the current version of this tank can be found at this link:

Last FTS for this tank before the crash RIP

IMG_7141_zpslfs6fgeq.jpg

I hope you'll follow along with my new build, gonna take what I've learned and hope this doesn't happen again! :) 

• Like 2

Wow, looks like a pretty neat little tank. Lots of cool options for scaping.

Thanks :) the back structure's been epoxied together but nothing's set in stone (pun intended)

I kind of like it as is right now though

Very nice! Super impressed that you built that yourself.

Haha yeah, dad and I spent a couple afternoons cutting and assembling the glass. I was at school when my dad had the acrylic cut so I didn't get to do any of that unfortunately, although I probably couldn'tve done it better ;) Thanks for the kind words :)

That's awesome! How was it gluing the glass together?

Uhhh in a word, messy. Definitely messy. Wish I got pictures of the process :P

We laid down tape around the edges to keep the silicone from smearing too much and then basically stuck it together. It's a little noticeable in some spots where I smudged it a bit but overall it turned out pretty well

• Like 1

I want this with the volume and dimensions tripled. Would be such a fun tank!

These smaller tanks are really interesting to watch as well; this should be an awesome build and the scape is really nice how it is. Lots of room for activities... As for stocking I'm all for a mated pair of gobies with some kind of pistol shrimp. But a mantis would really awesome to see in a tank this size.

What are you thinking for lights?

• Like 1

I want this with the volume and dimensions tripled. Would be such a fun tank!

These smaller tanks are really interesting to watch as well; this should be an awesome build and the scape is really nice how it is. Lots of room for activities... As for stocking I'm all for a mated pair of gobies with some kind of pistol shrimp. But a mantis would really awesome to see in a tank this size.

What are you thinking for lights?

Funny story, this tank was made from glass cut for a 20 gal with similar dimensions, but I changed my mind :P

If you were wondering, it's 18inx14xinx7in. 2 in from the length went into the back chamber.

I actually really like the goby shrimp combo and they would be a close second to the mantis. The light is either a cheap led fixture with macros or a par lamp for the softie/lps route. I definitely want a crisp natural white light but can't figure out which option would give me what im looking for

Funny story, this tank was made from glass cut for a 20 gal with similar dimensions, but I changed my mind :P

If you were wondering, it's 18inx14xinx7in. 2 in from the length went into the back chamber.

I actually really like the goby shrimp combo and they would be a close second to the mantis. The light is either a cheap led fixture with macros or a par lamp for the softie/lps route. I definitely want a crisp natural white light but can't figure out which option would give me what im looking for

It just keeps sounding better and better! Im always one for more natural looking lighting. Those really deep blue actinics just look tacky to me, even if they do make corals "pop". I'd rather have my tank looking like the real South Pacific than a laser tag arena :) But I don't get super excited about corals in the first place so I digress.

My only qualm with mantises (mantisi?) is that I don't imagine them to be very active. But I have no background knowledge on that.

• Like 1

Nice little tank. If you have some black paint you can paint the glass on the sides of the AIO part of the tank to make it a little less visible and make the tank look a little more sleek.

It just keeps sounding better and better! Im always one for more natural looking lighting. Those really deep blue actinics just look tacky to me, even if they do make corals "pop". I'd rather have my tank looking like the real South Pacific than a laser tag arena :) But I don't get super excited about corals in the first place so I digress.

My only qualm with mantises (mantisi?) is that I don't imagine them to be very active. But I have no background knowledge on that.

Amen, haha as crazy as it is to see natural organisms give off crazy neon colors, I'll always prefer natural looking lighting over my tank. Here're some pictures I just searched up that reflect the kind of color I'm looking for.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5084455739_fb1d8f9360_o.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/lljdma06/mantis%20tank/B0BEB7C8-F9B7-479A-8771-4FBADAF2DB14-20034-00002C7C5B150EF6.jpg

I think there's a coral compulsion par bulb with 2 blues and 3 whites or something like that, but I can't find a good example of what it looks like over a tank.

Mantis shrimp (I'm uncertain about the proper plural form too :P) are actually very curious and intelligent. I can see it being shy initially but I'm hoping it will begin to venture out more and more over time.

Nice little tank. If you have some black paint you can paint the glass on the sides of the AIO part of the tank to make it a little less visible and make the tank look a little more sleek.

Cool suggestion! It'll be going on my desk so I'm not too worried about people seeing it from behind but yeah, I might paint the sides. I don't mind it much atm, we'll see.

Nice! Can't wait to see it in action!

Thanks, me too :)

Damn... that's an insanely good looking tank. You better be starting a business :lol:

Hahah, it's temptiiiiing. But those books aren't gonna study themselves :D

• Like 1

Amen, haha as crazy as it is to see natural organisms give off crazy neon colors, I'll always prefer natural looking lighting over my tank. Here're some pictures I just searched up that reflect the kind of color I'm looking for.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/5084455739_fb1d8f9360_o.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/lljdma06/mantis%20tank/B0BEB7C8-F9B7-479A-8771-4FBADAF2DB14-20034-00002C7C5B150EF6.jpg

I think there's a coral compulsion par bulb with 2 blues and 3 whites or something like that, but I can't find a good example of what it looks like over a tank.

Mantis shrimp (I'm uncertain about the proper plural form too :P) are actually very curious and intelligent.

Don't the mantisi have xray vision too? Joking of course. :D

I think a mantis will make for a really interesting inhabitant. Will you have issues with him trying to make an escape with the tank being open and all?

Just checked coral compulsion's site, looks like the lowest kelvin rating on any of their par bulbs is 14000 :( But there are plenty of par bulbs out there; I'm sure you can find one that's not too blue.

Got her up and cycling :)

Waiting game made easy since I'll be headed back to school this week... Hopefully it'll be ready for a bit of stocking next time I visit :)

IMG_9908_zps6hxs3wax.jpg

Don't the mantisi have xray vision too? Joking of course. :D
I think a mantis will make for a really interesting inhabitant. Will you have issues with him trying to make an escape with the tank being open and all?

Just checked coral compulsion's site, looks like the lowest kelvin rating on any of their par bulbs is 14000 :( But there are plenty of par bulbs out there; I'm sure you can find one that's not too blue.

Haha they might as well. We can't even comprehend what they can see :S

I did a little research and it seems like they'd be intelligent enough to escape but also intelligent enough to know it's better to remain inside the rockwork. Definitely something to keep an eye on though.

Here's a picture of a spazziz's tank using a par bulb that's putting out roughly the same color I'd like. I'd want to see what the light looks like in person, but it's a start

DSCI0008_zps2b08b395.jpg[/url]

Very nice DIY! I think the scape is perfect. Not too little or too much.

Thanks :) It's my first one so there are a few minor imperfections you might notice in person but I'm happy with how it turned out.

I do wish the scape were high enough to break the water surface but I like the way it is now too.

Great start to a little tank man!

-Dave

Thanks! Love your work :)

what are the dimensions of this thing?

Shoot, I need to update the op ><

It is 18inx14inx7in. The back chamber takes up 2in from the length so display dimensions are 16x14x7

• Like 1

So as most of you may know, I've been hunting for a light with varied results. I know the first piece of advice many of us see repeated is not to cheap out on lighting and knowing my slight tendency to attempt higher light coral, I've decided to get the a-okay on a better light.

Anyways, the choice I'm facing now is either the new AI Prime or a Nanobox Tide. Both as far as I can tell are great so any additional input would be awesome! I won't need much convincing either way but personal experience will definitely help me choose.

I'm switching from AI to NAnobox, AI makes an awesome light I'm just searching for something with a wider range of colors. Of course I have a sol blue which has the older pucks, I think the prime might be a little better as far as spectrum range goes, and the wifi features are certainly attractive.

In conclusion though I'm not as well versed on the topic of leds as some of our other members. A few weeks back I asked a member who's knowledge of lighting is leaps and bounds ahead of mine, what he would get if he owned my 12 gallon, his response was Nanobox. So that's what I did. :D

• Like 1

I'm switching from AI to NAnobox, AI makes an awesome light I'm just searching for something with a wider range of colors. Of course I have a sol blue which has the older pucks, I think the prime might be a little better as far as spectrum range goes, and the wifi features are certainly attractive.

In conclusion though I'm not as well versed on the topic of leds as some of our other members. A few weeks back I asked a member who's knowledge of lighting is leaps and bounds ahead of mine, what he would get if he owned my 12 gallon, his response was Nanobox. So that's what I did. :D

Thanks for sharing! I'm not very good with lights either. I haven't been able to find any examples of a parbulb that gave off the exact color I want so controllability is definitely a perk. I don't know if the wider spectrum is a major selling point since I want a more natural, white light for the tank.

• Like 1

Very cool tank! I love DIY stuff. Looks great.

Thanks! Turned out better than I was expecting :)

Looks great, really impressed with the build

Thank you :) just hope I can continue impressing haha
  • Like 1