inTank Media Baskets

"LSOS" ? Cruise Control

Rural

so, forgot to turn the AC on...

went out of town for a bachelor party. i returned to a tank that was room temperature. too bad room temp was 88*F. did a STAT 25% water change, that dropped the temp well. and the surviving inverts started moving again. albeit slowly. we shall see how this plays out...

OH NOOOOOOO :(

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AAAaaghhh, this is one of the reasons I bought a chiller, sometimes my ADD gets in front of my OCD. Sorry to hear it man.

OH NOOOOOOO :(

thanks, i think the worst has passed

AAAaaghhh, this is one of the reasons I bought a chiller, sometimes my ADD gets in front of my OCD. Sorry to hear it man.

yeah, ill probably just use my AC... but an apex system could have alerted me??? shucks....

thanks, i think the worst has passed

yeah, ill probably just use my AC... but an apex system could have alerted me??? shucks....

Any losses? How are things looking?

Any losses? How are things looking?

it may have been a blessing in disguise...

i am now free of very rapidly growing and claiming real estate of blue star polyps (name?).

lost my peppermint shrimp, my highlighter orange jason fox, 1,000 brittle stars, several bristleworms and also my zoas look pissed.

my clam and all sps (aside from highlighter orange) are doing ok. sps dulled out a little but not bad. i am now 3 water changes of 25% down and cleaned the tank and ran micron socks for the days while turkey blasting.... we will see but i think the worst is over.

at the dinner party last night, everyone was all "your tank is beautiful" and i just wished they had seen it prior to this episode.

#thestruggleisreal

i am guessing the "really intense flow" from the vortech mp10 maxed out 6" from the sps saved them with good water turnover and thus cellular respiration. the GSP thats in direct flow even had polyps out during this, other less flow GSP was retracted and still had not come out over 2 days... this am it was poking out a little.

i dont like dosing additives, but i feel after that temp, i need to redose some bacteria in a bottle. ill post a thread for recs?

so, to celebrate my struggle, i got a new coral! JF JoL.

when i first placed all the flesh retracted? don't know if this is a good thing. hopefully it inflates again...

ok 2 weeks in, the corals should have recovered but they are not doing well (duncan retracted, monti green spong no polyp extension, my milli's minimal extension). changed all my media and have done five 25% water changes in 1 week. limited all lps warfare, trimmed gsp back a ton. dosing aquavitro seed and fuel, with reef chili and ocean eggs. seeded new purigen with aquavitro seed and placed 3 teaspoons worth in tank.

this was a rapid decline in 2 weeks time. things just started being pissy and would liven up after some water changes, i think, it may have just been placebo...

still no improvement over 2 weeks.

i thought maybe it could be current (my inverts were acting really weird 1 week ago). felt around with my hand and never felt anything. maybe a really small voltage leak? maybe a device in the tank is leaking bad juju?

only 2 devices in the tank. a pump and a heater. i have replaced them both now. they were new july 2014 so i guess it was time.

here is to hoping.

Almost seems like it has to do with that overheat event,but if you baked something toxic out of something into your tank all those water changes should have worked. With all that new water and the possibility of frying your bacteria colony could you be going thru a pseudo new tank cycle? You seeded new bacteria but has it grown enough to do its job yet? That and what Harry said above makes sense. I'd imagine everything is still feeding somewhat or after weeks you would probably have some die off.

thanks for the ideas guys!

Lots of water changes, could you be stripping the tank of nutrients?

i got plenty 'o nutrients, algae is doing well, too well. the inverts are not doing the cleanup part of the cleanup crew, sometimes i walk by and see 3 of them on their backs, i right them and they crawl a second and then chill...

i am feeding and dosing more than usual. so unlikely the culprit (stripping). but i thought the same thing, thats why i am putting more in now.

Almost seems like it has to do with that overheat event,but if you baked something toxic out of something into your tank all those water changes should have worked. With all that new water and the possibility of frying your bacteria colony could you be going thru a pseudo new tank cycle? You seeded new bacteria but has it grown enough to do its job yet? That and what Harry said above makes sense. I'd imagine everything is still feeding somewhat or after weeks you would probably have some die off.

params are fine and my clam is just peachy, i think, it looks ok. the sps are still feeding and put out thier end filaments and filter worms still come out at feeding. my chalices are chill and respond to food, except the stunenr, he has some browning and die off around some edges (he was in a more heat prone area though...). duncans are still pissed and retracted. yumas and riccordia are fine. acans are acting like nothing happened. zoas are ok now. gsp is looking mildly better. trumpet coral is uber pissed though and i do have some die off.

i wouldnt have thought the "baking" would have been this slow/fast of a monster. i thought baking them would make them slough the next day, granted i was happy when that didnt happen.

now, i am good about maintnance but not with pumps and heater, what i think are the issues? the pump and heater both had hard calcium like deposits on themselves and the power cords, it came off with 4 or 5 hard swipes with my thumb, was this soem sort of e-current redox reaction? i dont know?

plan is 25% water change in am, redose, add 1 new chemipure nano for total of 2 in tank, and let the tank sit over the weekend with lighting level decreased 30% and flow increased 20%.

Maybe they are just that pissed off, certainly sounds like you are doing everything you can and more. The current/redox theory is certainly plausible but hard to nail down for certain. You could certainly test for stray voltage/current but that would require you to put back in the parts you removed which I personally wouldn't do. If your clam/most SPS seem happy your water has almost certainly got to be good. I think you'll pull through soon.

Sk8n Reefer

Dang, hope you see a turn around- surprised the sps weren't the 1st to be bothered. Stay on it - you'll get everyone happy again. ?

surprised the sps weren't the 1st to be bothered

i know, 2 weeks in and now the montis had no polyp extension.... but all sps still go into feed mode with may less polyp ext.

weird.

thats why i have taken the shotgun approach and i am essentially rebooting the tank... we will see how this turns out. fingers crossed.

You could certainly test for stray voltage/current

after all this subsides and life slow down some, i am gonna throw them in a 5gal bucket of saltwater for a couple days and then measure. just to test and see if there was anything going on?

Rural, hows it working out?

thanks for checking in, on sunday i checked after lights out, so i'll let yall know how today turns out...

• 2 weeks later...

Rural, status update soldier!

ok ok ok. so figured it out. partially, at least.

high temps stunned everything and made me lose a couple corals. then my super easy dosing pump that i never worry about = never think about, was still dosing. that is why params were fine initially.

then ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. i measured and ALK of 19. granted it took about 3 weeks to get that high, i have slowly brought it back down and all looks well.

sps are getting color and polyp extension back and look good. LPS chalice's have grown new eye's like a mutha f'n boss. i have at least 20 new eyes on my yellow and pink one that hasnt grown a new eye in a year. and the blue one has about 20 new ones as well. the trumpet is doing better and some of the heads bleached that got stressed by me touching htem and moving them. the duncan is still acting pissy.

AND MY WIFE JUST BROUGHT HOME A NEW RFA!!!! hoorah! (sarcasm?, she didnt remember the tank was in a state of turmoil)

Wow your wife is awesome and holy crap to the 19! I'm surprised you didn't experience a crapload of alk burn!! And I'm happy you didn't!!! Glad to hear about the growth too. Good news.

Good to know your on the road to recovery!

high temps stunned everything and made me lose a couple corals. then my super easy dosing pump that i never worry about = never think about, was still dosing. that is why params were fine initially.

then ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. i measured and ALK of 19. granted it took about 3 weeks to get that high, i have slowly brought it back down and all looks well.

sps are getting color and polyp extension back and look good. LPS chalice's have grown new eye's like a mutha f'n boss. i have at least 20 new eyes on my yellow and pink one that hasnt grown a new eye in a year. and the blue one has about 20 new ones as well. the trumpet is doing better and some of the heads bleached that got stressed by me touching htem and moving them. the duncan is still acting pissy.

AND MY WIFE JUST BROUGHT HOME A NEW RFA!!!! hoorah! (sarcasm?, she didnt remember the tank was in a state of turmoil)

Thats wild about the chalices, almost like the two bad events caused a growth spurt. New way to grow chalices, crank heat up to 108 and throw in a gallon of Alk.

Wow your wife is awesome and holy crap to the 19! I'm surprised you didn't experience a crapload of alk burn!! And I'm happy you didn't!!! Glad to hear about the growth too. Good news.

thanks stella, feels good to be out of the "dark side". i have read that RFA can do pretty good anywhere. i have two options really right now in my tank, maybe three:

high light, mod flow

low light and flow

low light high flow

which is best? i put repositioned the rfa to the moderate flow and turned off the powerhead, hopefully it will attach. anywhere else you could see in my tank to put it?

Good to know your on the road to recovery!

Thats wild about the chalices, almost like the two bad events caused a growth spurt. New way to grow chalices, crank heat up to 108 and throw in a gallon of Alk.

i wouldnt chance it again. i dunno what did it but my changes were: temp spike, alk spike, pumps inc 30% and lights dec 30% ????

mystersyster

A lady who works at my LFS has a tank in which the alk doser died. It went down to 5 because her tank is so loaded. I'm now scratching my head as to how yours, or her tank survived. Glad it did thought!

just got back from the beach and the tank is doing well (as good as it can). the stunner has regrown all flesh and the trumpet is feeding and coloring up again. the duncan is still acting pissy. still. but the sps is doing ok now! clam and RFA are happy as well.

SO GLAD TO SEE THIS AGAIN!!!!!

glad to see some color again:

26768067620_14944c8b01_k.jpg

the RFA moved about 12" from where i put him in the corner... now he is dead center of the tank in HIGH light and LOW flow. here is a vid of him trying to eat:

Archived