SaltCritters.com

Does anyone know what this is?

flobees

A stream of water directed at his base, or fresh water will detach him

I personally like them, but they hurt some corals and grow somewhat quick so they get a bad reputation

It really depends they can grow a millimeter in 3 months or 5 millimetres in a week. They have several main reproduction methods, one is when they are seriously damaged they send fragments and guts around to try to make more aiptasia, another is when they wander pedal laceration, leaving bits behind themselves which grow to new aiptasia, or when they aren't stressed they will let fragments go off occasionally they can behave themselves sometimes. Sexual reproduction is very rare to occur in our tanks. They can grow to several inches when at maximum size.

They are fascinating animals

So the reason to not let it grow is that it will attack other corals? How close do they need to be to attack or is it more of a chemical warfare?

Pinner Reef

Kill it now.

They sting any coral they touch, Some have the ability to reproduce at exponential rates. (the smaller ones usually are the worst in this respect)

Amphipod... We've been over this, Don't recommend that people keep potentially invasive/destructive species because you personally happen to find them interesting.

You're setting someone up for failure... an expensive and heartbreaking failure

So the reason to not let it grow is that it will attack other corals? How close do they need to be to attack or is it more of a chemical warfare?

they have to touch them, some corals are unaffected though and some other cnidarians can kill the aiptasia. Some keepers think they are an eyesore also and some fish and invertebrates are affected, large ones can even eat a weak fish. But very few of us are getting several inch diameter aiptasia in our tanks so fish being eaten is not a likely issue to be had.

Kill it now.

They sting any coral they touch, Some have the ability to reproduce at exponential rates. (the smaller ones usually are the worst in this respect)

Amphipod... We've been over this, Don't recommend that people keep potentially invasive/destructive species because you personally happen to find them interesting.

You're setting someone up for failure... an expensive and heartbreaking failure

I never said they are harmless or for them to be kept in everybody's tanks but the risks can be substantially reduced with proper knowledge and discernment.
Pinner Reef

Just gonna leave the following pictures of aquariums unable to grow anything other than aiptasia infestations

Severeaiptasiainfestation.jpg

aiptasiabefore.jpg

P1010002_1.jpg

aiptasia_city_wwm.JPG

aiptasia%20infestation.JPG?height=240&wi

d8e0d8d1_vbattach180008.jpg

AiptasiaInfestation_4441.jpg

I'd like those tanks for myself. A few of The tanks you have shown are prime examples of neglected tanks, where owners simply said forget it I quit. Notice picture 1 they are easily several centimetres wide but the absence of dead coral skelotons or frag plugs obviously has shown this tank to be fowlr setup or if that green thing on the center is a coral and not macro algae a little stocked tank, but I'm leaning towards that being macroalgae. Pic 6 is a prime examples of destruction to a sps coral, a good warning to the stony coral owner. 7 is several zoas closed in direct contact with juvinile aiptasia demonstrating the irritating ability of stings by the anemone, bit please take note the zoas aren't ejecting organs and the aiptasia are slightly bigger than the zoanthids themselves demonstrating that though irritating the stings are to zoanthids they aren't necessarily lethal to other corals. Rest of the tanks are just aiptasia and I have no clues to the tanks use or past residents, or if there were really any other residents in the tanks

Markburns43

Well if your not going for an apiatsia tank remove it say sorry little buddy its been real and ots been fun but not real fun. . Keep an eye on the cheato thats how i got mine i remove three and left one to grow .. Could say i was curious. Lol and yes in perfect reef conditions they grow fast. Tanks been up now for alittle over a month and its tripled its size from a 1/4 inch about to 3/4 inch .

Well if your not going for an apiatsia tank remove it say sorry little buddy its been real and ots been fun but not real fun. . Keep an eye on the cheato thats how i got mine i remove three and left one to grow .. Could say i was curious. Lol and yes in perfect reef conditions they grow fast. Tanks been up now for alittle over a month and its tripled its size from a 1/4 inch about to 3/4 inch .

If you really want to see their population explode start feeding your tank baby brine shrimp and cyclops :o:o:o ......

Markburns43

:0 i feed phyko ! Hahahaha i did feed it a pellet lol i knew it was either a majano or aiptasia. But now that its bigger its definitely apiatsia. Gonna put it in my jarquarium i got in the window sill. Ha

Polarcollision

In my very first tank, a 30 gallon, I couldn't get them under control. Two grew to about 1.5" diameter and ate a purple firefish. They're too overpowering with nothing in our tanks to keep them naturally in check

SchnauzerFace

I think I read some guy on here say he fed ground chicken bits to his aiptasia. Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but I suggest killing it now before it turns into a few dozen that are difficult or impossible to manage. I bet aiptasia and hair algae are two of the biggest nuisances that lead to tank breakdowns. Kill it now!!!!

I think I read some guy on here say he fed ground chicken bits to his aiptasia. Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but I suggest killing it now before it turns into a few dozen that are difficult or impossible to manage. I bet aiptasia and hair algae are two of the biggest nuisances that lead to tank breakdowns. Kill it now!!!!

chicken gravy, and I have done some small amounts of raw chicken before also.

In my very first tank, a 30 gallon, I couldn't get them under control. Two grew to about 1.5" diameter and ate a purple firefish. They're too overpowering with nothing in our tanks to keep them naturally in check

some hydroids can kill then, shrimp, some crabs, some of them can really make a mark on the aiptasia
SchnauzerFace

chicken gravy, and I have done some small amounts of raw chicken before also.

I really am legitimately curious about this. 1.) What is it about aiptasia that you really like, and 2.) Why would chicken gravy be something you feed to a reef tank?

SchnauzerFace

See Amphipod! This is the problem with announcing your insane theories on the forum... Sooner or later someone might actually think they work...

PS... It doesn't

I think you may have misunderstood -- I wasn't asking about the benefits of putting chicken gravy in a reef tank. I was asking what his thought process was the lead him to think that it would be a good idea.

And now I see that it was expired gravy which is just the rotting icing on the decomposed cake.

I really am legitimately curious about this. 1.) What is it about aiptasia that you really like, and 2.) Why would chicken gravy be something you feed to a reef tank?

I like how hardy they are and all I have to do is bully them to make dozens more of them, otherwise they just keep growing in their chosen spots. Also I like how they behave, I think they are pretty also. I just thought of how the gravy has all those proteins carbohydrates and oils that should be edible to them, so I thought this is a great idea, and it was.

Just gonna leave the following pictures of aquariums unable to grow anything other than aiptasia infestations

Severeaiptasiainfestation.jpg

aiptasiabefore.jpg

P1010002_1.jpg

aiptasia_city_wwm.JPG

aiptasia%20infestation.JPG?height=240&wi

d8e0d8d1_vbattach180008.jpg

AiptasiaInfestation_4441.jpg

Those would make good berghia breeding tanks.

Archived