Coral Vue Hydros

Uchiha's Nano-Cube

Sushi

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got the orange colony 1 week ago (i think?) the yellow's i've had for 2+ weeks...

i don't trust myself well enough to frag sun corals yet...they seem a little too fragile for fragging. all i can "frag" now are zoo's :P

you'd be better off finding a frag locally, you'd save $ that way too since you don't have to pay for shipping or anything. sorry man :P

It is just that my "L"FS is over an hour away :angry: Besides, they wanted $40 for a piece of dirt brown Zos. I would only taken Zos like the if they were free, hen only a maybe :ermm:.

• 2 weeks later...

uchiha, I just got an orange sun coral just like yours about a week ago. I have a few questions, if you don't mind helping a fellow reefer out:

1) I've read many places that this coral prefers low lighting as in a cave. Because I have 88w over my nanocube, I built a little cave for it. It this necessary? Will it still be fine out in the open without any cover?

2) Do you feed your coral only the frozen version of cyclopeeze?

3) Does your coral only open up its polyps at night when the lights are turned off? And is this the only time when you feed it?

4) It looks like you have a lot of orange polyps--do you give a couple of squirts at EACH polyp?

5) When you placed the coral in your tank, were any of your other corals adversely affected? The reason I'm asking this is because my toadstool leather doesn't look very well right now. None of its polyps come out anymore, and the only thing that changed was the addition of the sun coral (and also I was agitating the entire tank as I was re-aquascaping it to build the cave).

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

1) from what i've read, sun corals have no photosynthetic properties to them, which means they are IMPARTIAL to light. it neither harms nor hurts them, but i have found that they are more likely to show tentacles during dark areas. in their natural habitats they grow in caves & overhangs, but in the aquarium, placement doesn't matter a whole bunch... i'm pretty sure they prefer darker areas, but it's not 100% necessary (mine isn't under an overhang)

2) yes, i only feed mine cyclopeeze, i thaw half a teaspoon of cyclopeeze in a little cup (filled w/tank water) and squirt each polyp using a baster or pipette

3) on my colony, i've seen a couple stray polyps open during the daytime when lights are on, but for the most part, only the ENTIRE colony opens up at night. they stay open throughout the entire night, and into dawn. the yellow rarely opens during the daytime, as for the orange, i usually see 2-3 polyps extended when lights are on full blast

4) i give about 1-2 squirts of cyclopeeze per "head" ... so to be technical, each head gets about 5-6 little red dots to eat. they are fed every other day.

5) none of my other corals seemed to affected after addding the suncorals. u did mention that you redid the aquascaping, i'm not too familiar with the toadstool coral so i can't be of much help there... it could be placement/flow/etc?

hope that helps.

paladin: no problem :)

wolf: skirt is chocolate, with black & blue mouth. i got it from www.aquadesignz.com ...the guy who owns the website is local to me, so prices were "different" than what he lists online (his prices are fairly high, but u pay for colors :() ...he's got a good variety of colored zoo's, so u should check his site out. www.aquaprop.com has a great selection as well. i can never imagine paying shipping, so i only buy from these online guys if they're semi-local to where i live.

Paladin, i got a few sun corals myself, and i sold uchiha his orange colony as well.

1. it doesn't matter if they're in or out of the light. i put them in caves because i need the lighted space for photosynthetic corals.

2. i would never just feed my sun coral cyclopeeze. they love much meatier and thick foods. i feed a lot of brine & mysis to them as well. they can probably even eat foods as large as silversides.

3. they healthier your sun is the more it'll open early. also you can condition it to open earlier by feeding it that way. mine opens during the day when it smells something. if i clean the glass or move rocks around it'll open and can sometimes be fully open for the whole day.

4. i have too many polyps to worry about each one eating. i spray food over the whole colony several times. if your colony is small enough then it's would be a good idea to feed each polyp.

5. i've never seen any other corals have reactions to introducing sun corals, and since i sell them i've seen a lot of suns come and go in my tank with a variety of corals right next to them.

uchiha, have you checked out the thread of christine's tank? i moved the yellow sun coral you saw in my prop tank into her nano.

bravoreefer, i do sell them and currently have two huge sun coral rocks. i intend to frag them. i don't reccomend anyone frag sun corals unless you really know what you're doing. i am willing to ship but shipping will cost as much as the coral itself!

nice yellows marlo! they look really nice :) after reading your post you got me thinking about feedin them bigger foods. i'll try brine shrimp someday... i'd really like them to pop out during day time so i'll try to slowly train them to open up for morning feedings instead of night feedings.

bravoreefer, if you ever get sun corals, marlo is the guy to get em from...

why feed in the morning? the way to train them is if they feed at 10pm start feeding them around 9... then 8... then 7. get it? instead of training it to open later into the morning, i would train it to open earlier in the evening. i can get mine to open pretty much anytime during the day with some food and a few min. and yeah, don't move your corals into the new tank if you were thinking about that. try something new with it.

Thanks MarLooney. I will try your "feeding earlier in the evening" method. Right now, they start opening up when my lights go out in the early evening. They don't seem to react when I spray some brine into the water for my fish feeding earlier in the day--maybe because I don't do a heavy load of brine at that time. I was thinking of bowl feeding it, at least for now, while I also try to train it to gradually eat earlier. Do you think that would help?

i don't really want 2 tanks. i should've gotten the via aqua from the beginning and not have messed around w/the nano-cube.

the 18g is what i really wanted in the first place. not to mention, i'm a college student, low on $$$, ALSO, if i ever have to move out of the apt. i'm staying in, 2 tanks is one hell of a move to make. it saves me headaches if i only have 1 tank to worry about. eventually, i'll end up selling my nano-cube. it's too small for me anyways.

Paladin, your sun may not react to day time feedings because it's not healthy enough. please do not do bowl feedings! continue to feed them at night and gradually move that feeding time closer to evening.

MarLooney- Why are you againast the bowl feeding? Is that just advice for Paladin because his does not seem to be healthy, or do you feel that way about everyone doing that? I bowl feed mine and have great success. It never gets exposed to air. In fact all I have to do is put it in the bowl and it opens right up if it is not open already open. But then again mine is open about 60% of the time.

marlo's right on the bowl feeding. for example, i used to bowl feed my yellows, and only saw its tentacles for the couple mins it was in the bowl.. (20 mins?) after i put it back into his original spot, he had stopped "feeding" and no longer extended tentacles. now that i DON'T do bowl feedings, tentacles are fully expanded every night, for hours at a time, waiting for food...

marlo's advice is true, i think it does stress the coral out to some degree, and it seems to be happier when it's stationary.

I suppose I could feed it in the tank since it is open so often. When I do bowl feed, I never take the bowl out of the tank so temp never changes. I just float it., and when its done feeding I dunk the bowl back down and put the coral back in its spot. It tentacles remain open during this whole procedure as well. I was just concerned with overfeeding the tank. I feed mine everyday and boy can it eat. Like I said it is open ALOT and is very healthy. But I do agree that I suppose moving it could be stressful, although I have never seen it act stressed. I am working on getting some macro to help with nitrates reduction. Maybe I will try your suggestions, they do make sense.

just noticed your ric yuma way back on the first page. did it have two mouths to start with? if not how did you get it to split? mine is big and healthy but no splitting yet and boy would i like a second one without resorting to the blade.

i've long since traded those yumas away. when i first got them, they have already had 2 mouths...

it has grown though, just never really "split completely"

This may have been asked before, but where did you get the nozzle that goes over the power head re-entry into the tank?(its shown on the first page)

I hate how mine creates a circular motion and I would like to be able to aim it in different directions. Any help would be great!

Archived