Innovative Marine Aquariums

Custom Acrylic Work

smiz

Not sure if this is the right spot, but I wanted to test the water a bit. Within the next few weeks I'll be getting a CNC machine able to cut acrylic, wood, and aluminum. It's more for fun at this point but I'd like to offer custom work on aquarium stuff or stuff in general. I wanted to see if anyone out there was actively looking for anything of the sort.

As of now I plan on making:

- custom frags racks that I've previously made and sold.

- Custom tops for rimless tanks.

- Custom travel frag racks for transport and shows.

- And possible custom AIO inserts for standard tanks. (I think it would be cool to buy a pack for say a 40b that can turn your tank into an AIO and only requires you to silicon it in place).

If anyone is in the market for anything like this throw up a post. Or if you have ideas or thoughts lets hear them!

I'd like to have a few things I can make before my machine comes!

Thanks!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wanted a simple ato reservoir that i could tuck away next to my tank. maybe hold like 4 gallons or so..

Overflow boxes would be nice.

forgot to mention this! I think getting custom over flow box to what ever you want would be nice!

i wanted a simple ato reservoir that i could tuck away next to my tank. maybe hold like 4 gallons or so..

I'm in the same boat! You can check out my current build, I will be making a ATO res for a strange spot I can fit it. This is another great idea!

Keep them coming guys!

And if anyone actually needs something just shoot me a PM

I would like an AIO insert for the Mr. Aqua tanks. Looking into their 48 gallon but i would like it to be AIO peninsula style. Let me know if this is something you could do.

I would like an AIO insert for the Mr. Aqua tanks. Looking into their 48 gallon but i would like it to be AIO peninsula style. Let me know if this is something you could do.

This is something I think would be very cool! "Standard" inserts that fit the tank you need. This is definitely something I would be interested in!

• 3 months later...
KP_Reef_Tank

I currently use a small container and thin tubing to add fresh water to my tank. It sits on top of my tank and I'm always worried it'll get knocked over.

Think you could come up with a container with a 1 inch tube and funnel projecting below, draining water into the tank?

I'll add some photos and sketches.

post-84405-0-53735200-1434402620_thumb.jpg

I currently use a small container and thin tubing to add fresh water to my tank. It sits on top of my tank and I'm always worried it'll get knocked over.

Think you could come up with a container with a 1 inch tube and funnel projecting below, draining water into the tank?

I'll add some photos and sketches.

yeah this seems fun. Here's just a quick sketch i modeled up. I think a little section to pour in would be very nice. Along with a tonged grove on the bottom so you can mount it to the side of a rimless tank if it is rimless. I could actually use one of these myself I always mess up my tank when adding water from the top. This could gradually drain the water through a siphon hose or something and not create a sandstorm.

post-73207-0-71575200-1434461941_thumb.png

KP_Reef_Tank

I like the model! I have a couple of requests...

I would like the pour ramp on the same side as the drain.

I'm also rethinking the size of the drain port. In order to slowly drain, and simplify the idea, wouldn't be easier to make the port as small as possible, in place of adding some unknown tubing?

Also- can the rimless feature be a hook instead? I have a rectangular cutout at the back of my euro brace tank that it could lock into.

post-84405-0-56224000-1434517559_thumb.png

Could you do a black acrylic overflow box with a grooved top? I might be interested in one of those.

yeah, let me know what size your looking for and ill let you know!

I like the model! I have a couple of requests...

I would like the pour ramp on the same side as the drain.

Ok No problem.

I'm also rethinking the size of the drain port. In order to slowly drain, and simplify the idea, wouldn't be easier to make the port as small as possible, in place of adding some unknown tubing?

Yes the smaller hole will be an easy add on. Things to think about though. I mentioned a hose because then you might be able to put it in a rock or something to direct where the water is flowing in from. One thing i hate is a sand storm in my tank when i add water. Another idea might be multiple holes so that the water will drizzle out like a shower head instead of one direct stream.

Also- can the rimless feature be a hook instead? I have a rectangular cutout at the back of my euro brace tank that it could lock into.

I added it in a new model. One thing I would need is exact dimensions so that it will actually slide under your lip and on to your tank.

post-73207-0-46186800-1434548119_thumb.png

ATO container for me as well. No idea on size yet but I will soon.

You got it man, let me know!

40 breeder AIO insert! peninsula style! ill be in touch Smiz

Sounds good drew! Ill work up a design this week!

I need an overflow for my HOB filter. I've got the surface skum issue on my nano tank.

HOB filter is one of these http://www.amazon.ca/Marineland-Penguin-Power-Filter-20-Gallon/dp/B0007ZS230 are you able to do a small overflow box for that? Idea of the cost?

Thanks!

Yeah if you can let me know how much room i have to work with on that side of the tank, and how long your HOB is i can think up something. This will be a bit harder because I'm guessing your looking for something not siliconed to your tank. It will have to be a box your HOB sits in but still is able to sit on rim of tank.

White overflow box instead of a black one would be cool...maybe just inserts to put over my black one.

well that would be easy enough. One thing with white is you will see the algae a lot clearer then a black box, so get your scrub brush out!

I think of you make a few thinks and post up pictures your PM box will be flooded with requests.

I think you are very right lol. Looks like ill have to get to the lab this weekend!

I think you are very right lol. Looks like ill have to get to the lab this weekend!

I can't think of 1 person that does custom acrylic work on NR anymore. Use to be a few guys but they are long gone. I think your head will be spinning in no time :lol:

I'll get you the dimensions tonight.

I was thinking a magnet system might work best?

Soudns good, and yes i was thinking the same thing! The one thing im concerned about is the back wall of the overflow interfering with the HOB.

I would be interested in an AIO kit for a 40B peninsula style too. Wasn't planning on doing this for another year or so, but if the prices are right...

Archived