SaltCritters.com

which corals can i keep?!?

tommy

I was wondering which corals I can keep in an Eclipse 6 with a 32w Smartlite? Im particularly interested in the frogspawn, xenia, and maybe zoo's, if I could keep them. Also, what would have to feed them?thanks

yup yup...

I have seen all those grown with success with that light on a 12 gallon. Although my particular candycane is doing badly right now.

Soft coral - good

LPS - OK

SPS - bad

Christopher Marks

You can keep most any of the soft corals that do well in nanos; leathers, mushrooms, xenia, button polyps, yellow polyps, colt corals, green star polyps, etc.

printerdown01

If you found a way to slap 32W on a 6 gallon tank you will be just fine!! Honestly you can keep gold and possibly even blue maximas if you really wanted to (and kept you water quality close to perfect)!!! here see if this helps you out: A link to my site :)

hi tommy

Have you fitted a smartlight in the eclipse 6 hood yet? or are you planning on doing it?

I have an eclipse 6 and have been unable to put one in without butchering the hood.

i do have plans on how and am planning on fitting 4x 13w 50/50 pc's in.

leslr.

Thanks for all the replies. I finally got my eclipse 6 and ordered a 32w samrtlight from ffexpress.com! It's supposed to come in 2 days. Is there a small clam I can keep?

lol,I'm not sure how I'll fit the light, probably just screw it to the canopy, then I'll cut holes(vents), and buy a small computer fan or something.

I have a 6 gal eclipse.

I only managed to fit 2 13w pcs in it. Where are you finding the room for 4?

YOu can screw a few of them on the existing screw holes on the hood... otherwise hot glue gun works too.

I have a description around 5 replies down on the main board that has a full setup on how I put my lights together. (the lighting desc. is actually a "sub-post" in my post)

Achu

hi achu

my plans came Pinecone_Jeff over at reefcentral.com. He had his "6" set up with 3x13w pc, aqua 150 filter with a skimmer mounted inside filter box.

Basically he did the same as you did,first removed old lighting, but he then put a couple of thin strips of wood in and mounted them to the old mounting holes. He then shaped/fitted a piece of flashing material inside the whole hood and mounted it by screwing it to the thin wood strips.the lights attached to the flashing. That way he could fit the light/s anywhere he wanted in the hood.

As for me I will be fitting a large "I" shaped piece of flashing over old mounting holes,lining whole inside of the hood with reflective mylar, then mounting my lights to the flashing. As for cooling I have a couple of 1" computer fans and will mount them at the back where the power wires etc come in. My costs will be (can$'s)

Ballast- Fulham Longhorse 3 : $30.

13w 50/50 PC bulbs: 4x $14.99

Fans x2: 75cents + power converter 89 cents, flashing 10cents,Mylar sheet $2.00 (local hydroponic store claims its 99% reflective for all light wave lenths,same stuff they use in the store).

I have a pic that pinecone_Jeff sent me showing his light set up,let me know if your interested and I'll pass it on to you.

Also sorry to be so long winded.

leslr

Archived