inTank Media Baskets

eclipse 12... woot woot!!

yoshiod9

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

damn!...lol. you reminded me of my apt. mates littlest brother. question after question after question! lol.

anyhow...

i upgraded my lighting twice....from the stock to a 32w pc....and then from the 32w pc to a 96w powerquad retrofit. with the 96watter i had to rip out the stock filtration, with a little cutting the new ac200, bak pak 2r and the new 96w pq fit well and without too many problems. you just reallllly have to watch your tanks temperature if you keep the stock hood with the powerquad. i feed cyclopeeze and microvert...but i usually only do that once a week or so...i'm kinda forgetful when it comes to feeding the tank.

sweet tank danny .. i am sorry about the blue with lime green center... those blue with green skirts i sent you will look sweet in your tank once they grow out .. did i send you any reds?i hope i did i have lots .. hey i have about 2 ppe right now it usuaully takes 2 month for a head to grow out i will hook you up with one as soon as it grows out .... i hope your gf liked those pinks

these are really bright lime green skirts with whiteish blue center and orange and yellow mouths. sooo gorgeous and a steal @29.99!! woo hoo.

oh man, richard....when we trade, you are gonna love the frags i send you...i bought a small frag yesterday of these all white stalk with metallic peach/pastel orange colored skirts and centers...i hope they grow quickly...i only have 6 polyps on the rock and yeah...they are really nice! oh, i just looked at my tank and the zoos i just described look exactly like the pinks you sent, but with the metallic peach/orange color...lol. weird. anyway, yes, my gf loved the pinks...she said that her favorites are the reds you sent!

cool danny let me know when you want to trade i picked up some sweet pinks with green skirts .. also i small frag of red center and green skirts .. i will try to post a pic.. i got them from eric at fragfarmer.com i will copy a pic of his website my digital cam is getting repaired ..

Could you post a pic of the top of your tank so we can see your lighting and filtration handywork? I have the same (stock) tank, and am trying to decide on what mods to make. Your tank looks awesome!

How did you manage to shoehorn a 96 watt retro in that hood? I have been looking at retro kits and have no idea how they'll work. It looks like you're using one of those Emperor HOB filters, is that what that is? I have been looking at the Hagen AquaClear filters and dumping the stock filter like you have. You can pick up one of those for less than $20. I'm still not sure about the lighting though. I do like the look of the tank that had the 20" 96w Coralife Aqualight sitting on it. Looks very 'clean'.

the 96w retro fits perfectly into the hood...i remember reading somewhere that it would fit, so i bought a retro and put it in! it took all of 10-15 minutes. the reason i bought the retro was because i didn't want an open tank and i thought the original hood looks nicer than having a gaudy stainless steel light fixture sitting on top. i'm using an ac200 filter(aquaclear), i just removed all the filtration media and stuffed it chaeto(macro algae) and right now i'm running some chemical filtration(seachem's purigen) since i just moved my tank 50 miles about a month ago.

i don't know how well this fixture would work for an eclipse12 because it appears that the legs on this fixture are only two seperate units compared to the coralife legs that are four different units(makes it easier to fit the light onto the awkwardly angled top). another problem with the fixture you linked me is the fact that it only comes with a 6500 bulb...for proper coral growth you NEED to have some kind of actinic(unless i read wrong and they mention actinic somewhere)...they said full spectrum and full spectrum never means, "all the light your corals need to thrive"...=)

the only thing i have learned about reefkeeping is that you should never go cheaper on your lighting system...if you can pay the extra 40-50 bucks to buy a 96w powerquad, i would recommend that you do buy one. oh, and yes, 72w. would be more than enough for a softie tank...but if you buy this fixture you have to buy new bulbs for it as well(to get the proper spectrum).

I think it is an orange spotted sleeper gobie. My boyfriend had one...they are so cool. We called him "the gobbler" b/c he gobbled the rocks. Do you have a lid on top of your tank? B/c those things can jump. And let's just say the gobie has passed away...

I have an Eclipse 12 TL. How is it working out for you? If you check out the post "A Southern Girl's Tank"..you can see a pic of mine. Not much going on in it now...

definetly not an orange spotted goby...he is allll white with little faint blue polka dots on the underside of his head. i know about the jumping gobies...i had a friend with an open tank lose a goby cuz it jumped out after a day of having it.

what is a TL eclipse? my tank is doing fantastic...that is, after i ripped out the stock light and the stock filtration and replaced it all. lol. goodluck!

Oi....

Then a blue spotted goby ?? :) I have no idea, I am very new to this!!

TL means twin lights.....so, eclipse wasn't so great, eh? what went wrong? What should i do?

i'm not too sure about what to do with a TL eclipse. this is the first time i have heard of the thing. don't get me wrong, i love my tank soooo much. its just the stock lighting wasn't enough to keep any good stuff and the stock filtration blocked off too much light when i first upgraded my lighting so i decided to take it out and replace it with a aqua clear 200 filter. i wouldn't worry too much right now about your tank, just know that youre eventually going to have to cut the hood up and put in a different filter and some new lighting. =)

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by yoshiod9

the stock filtration blocked off too much light when i first upgraded my lighting so i decided to take it out and replace it

Does this mean that your powerquad would fit with the stock filtration if you wanted it to?

Thanks,

Kam

Archived