Coral Vue Hydros

NeoClown's Fusion 20 Update - w/ Photo dump

NeoClown

FTS - 06.15.16
18877088388_dc53925d7f_z.jpg

Hi All,

After lurking…er researching for several months, I’ve finally started my first saltwater aquarium. I’m hoping to do things right the first time so I’ve upgrade certain items to begin with rather than doing it later down the line. I’ve really noticed the helpfulness of this community and I welcome the feedback.

I started the tank on Wed., Feb. 11. I added a piece of raw shrimp the next day, reduced the size of it to less than ¼” and dosed the tank with ProDibio START UP.

Tank: IM Fusion 20
Stand: Aquatic Fundamentals 26gal Bowfront stand
Media: InTank media basket with filter floss as tank cycles
Heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 75-watt
Lighting: Kessil A160WE Controllable LED – Tuna Blue
Flow: Cobalt MJ1200 pump with IM Spin Stream Nozzles and Jaebo wp10 with controller
Rock: 10# CaribSea Dry Rock and 4# CaribSea Life Rock
Sand: 20# CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade reef sand

Future livestock plans:
Pair of Ocellaris clowns
Goby and shrimp pair Purchased
Firefish Purchased
Shrimp (peppermint or cleaner maybe?)
A couple of snails as CUC (Cerith and Nassarius)

Pulsing Xenia
Zoanthids
Palythoas
Frogspawn
RBTA (once tank is stable)

Front view
16310950378_ffc2c58864_b.jpg

Top view
16312762357_84cbc420b3_b.jpg

Front left rock work
16619717211_5efc235a8f_o.jpg

Front right rock work
16620834675_bd86cb0754_o.jpg

FTS 02.22.2015
16595303736_5238dee553_o.jpg

I had my water tested on Friday to see if I was getting the same readings and they said I should be done cycling by next week. With the readings I took this evening, could I be close to having my tank cycled?

Temp: 77.3
SG: 1.025
pH: 7.8
Alk: 8
Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

• Like 4

Possible that you had the cycle already, what were the reading previously? Looks like your nitrates are low, and going down I would assume. Tank looks great!!

Thanks. Previous readings were from Friday and were pretty much the same except for Nitrite at .25ppm. On Thursday, Nitrite was at .5ppm. I never really saw an ammonia spike. I'm going to take another set of readings tonight or tomorrow to see if there are any changes. If everything looks good, I plan on doing a 20% water change Saturday and hopefully add a CUC.

So I took the following readings last night and still the same. No ammonia and no nitrite.

Temp: 77.7

SG: 1.025

Nitrate: 5

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: 0

In other news, I'm thinking about getting the following in this order:

Kessil Spectral Controller

PicO SkiM 2.0

ATO (still not sure which one)

Thoughts?

Took another set of readings last night and still the same - 0 Nitrite and Ammonia, but with Nitrate 5.

Will be doing a 5gal water change this weekend before adding CUC.

Did a 5gal water change on Saturday, changed out the filter floss, and added Perigen and CPE. Bought the wrong size CPE so could only put one in the media basket.

Stopped by the LFS and picked up a few snails to start my CUC; 2 Astrea and 2 Nassarius. Never been excited about snails! :happydance:

Drip acclimated them and spent the last hour watching them. 1 of each has been active.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

These two buried themselves quick but one decided to explore.

16504198970_94df85b9e6_z.jpg

The small astrea decided to hitch ride on the other one and kept knocking him over. I finally moved them to a small rock and the small one finally decided to relocate to higher ground.

16069264294_07588b845b_z.jpg

Installed the Kessil Spectal Controller this past week, and love it. So simple to use. In other news, since I don't have any fish yet, I fed the tank some frozen brine shrimp to keep the snails happy. I'm hoping to add my first coral (pulsing xenia) this weekend.

16119542103_410caa43b4_z.jpg

• Like 2

So I added my set of corals earlier this week. A small mixed zoa frag of Eagle Eyes and Radioactive Dragon eyes, and a pulsing xenia. So far they've doing well but one of the zoa heads doesn't look to good and isn't opening up. I did one Lugol's dip 2 days ago, and plan to do another tomorrow.

I'm finally getting to the ugly stage with diatom blooms appearing on the rock and sand. My astrea snails have been useless so far. Might have to get a turbo snail to attack the diatoms. I also just ordered my Tunze ATO which should come in by Monday.

That aquascape is Bad A. Seriously, it's one of the best I've seen in a fusion 20. And when its all filled up with corals it will look amazing.

Also, do you have a FTS so I can see that a160we?

• Like 1

...one of the zoa heads doesn't look to good and isn't opening up. I did one Lugol's dip 2 days ago, and plan to do another tomorrow.

Sometime zoanthids stay closed for several days before opening. Sometimes they stay closed for a few weeks after being introduced into a new tank. At this point I wouldn't be concerned, especially if they are not covered with a grayish looking, cloudy membrane.

After all, how could anything not be happy in such a good looking aquarium?!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't updated in a while but not much has happened. I've been taking it really slow.

I added my Tunze ATO last week before we went out of town for the weekend and it worked like a charm. I also picked up several more members to add to the CUC; 1 turbo, 6 cerith, and 2 trochus snails.

Water parameters have been pretty steady but would like to raise the pH a little more. It's been around 7.9 with Alk at 8 dKH.

And today, I was able to pick up my first resident pair; a yasha goby and tiger pistol pair. I also picked up an orange acan. Lights have been off so don't have any pics of the new coral but will add one when I get a chance. Surprisingly, the yasha didn't go into hiding once it went in to the tank. The shrimp did so hopefully they find each other.

Yasha checking out the scenery while acclimating.

17079960196_a621d17c7c_z.jpg

Pistol shrimp trying to find a corner to hide in.

16918131838_76dfe523d5_z.jpg

• Like 1

Just placed an order for the MAME Skimmer III. Hope it fits and works out.

In the mean time, here are some updated photos.

Orange acan - currently has 3 heads

16544347703_e2d7f8a59d_z.jpg

Zoas

16957105847_9f96d990fc_z.jpg

Mushroom

17162876212_b5b08ac7c2_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How's the tank fitting the stand? Are the corners exposed?

The tank fits the stand fine, but the front corners were exposed. Since it's a bowfront stand, I attached a 3/4" piece of wood that's slightly larger than the tank to the top so that the tank has full support.

Since I haven’t updated my thread since April, let me catch you up on what’s happened; the good and the bad.

I must have been keeping my tank too clean as over the course of a few weeks, I lost both Astrea snails and my turbo snail back in May. Afterwards, I added 5 ceriths and 2 trochus snails.

After adding my Yasha and pistol shrimp, I bought a purple firefish, who my wife has named Violet, and has been in QT for 3 weeks. A week before I was to transfer her to the DT, my Yasha decided to go tile surfing by moonlight. I didn’t notice him til the next morning. RIP little Yasha.

Since then I haven’t been able to find another Yasha. I did however pick up a high-fin red banded goby. After acclimation he settled down on the sand bed next to one of the cave openings the pistol shrimp had previously dug out. Less than 10 minutes later, the pistol came out and the two quickly became housemates.

Violet has been coming out more and more but mainly swims near her bolt hole. The only time she ventures away is during feeding time. The high fin is still a little skittish and will probably be that way ‘til he gets more comfortable.

Coral-wise, I’ve added a few small frags (1-3 polyps) of blue hornets, tyree rastas, and a laffy taffy from Legendary Corals. Darwin is great to work with and since I live about 20-30 min away, I was able to do local pick up. I also picked up a frogspawn and a Duncan, both with 2 heads, from my LFS. I’ve also noticed that my acan has 2 new heads. All of them have been pretty happy except the week we had a mild temp. spike. I live in an old house with a flat rooftop so the ambient temp raised the temp in the tank past 82. I didn’t lose anything but the zoo med fan I had wasn’t quite cutting it so I bought a clip on fan which has helped a great deal at keep the temp down to within parameters.

Next month I plan on getting a pair of juvenile o. clowns, which will be in QT for a while. I’ve recently also been looking at rock flower anenomes, and am on a search to find a blue trumpet. The closest I’ve found is a blue spruce for LA.

Sorry this was a long thread. Now on to the photos!!

18442255874_cebe0ecf39_z.jpg

Violet in QT

18878609949_af02494bab_z.jpg

High-fin

18877055420_950e551f77_z.jpg

Frogspawn

19067985371_47d4d2d1c7_z.jpg

Duncan

18878608979_c52eedb54c_z.jpg

Mushroom and Acan with 2 new heads growing

18444102533_91ce288362_z.jpg

FTS – 06.16.15

18877088388_dc53925d7f_z.jpg

• Like 1

Nice setup dude, Im new around here.. hailing from Aus..

Im envious of the yasha goby pair.. they cost an arm and leg here in Aus.. about 1200-1500k for a pair. only a handful have ever been found.

Nice setup dude, Im new around here.. hailing from Aus..

Im envious of the yasha goby pair.. they cost an arm and leg here in Aus.. about 1200-1500k for a pair. only a handful have ever been found.

Thanks Jimmy. That's crazy! I wish I still had the Yasha. He jumped out of the tank about 2 weeks ago and I ended getting a high-fin.

Thanks Jimmy. That's crazy! I wish I still had the Yasha. He jumped out of the tank about 2 weeks ago and I ended getting a high-fin.

Yeah.. tell me about it. crazy prices here for those type of those things as we have a very strict import/export law..

What do them yashas go for over in the states?

Yeah.. tell me about it. crazy prices here for those type of those things as we have a very strict import/export law..

What do them yashas go for over in the states?

They go for about $45, at least from my LFS.

They go for about $45, at least from my LFS.

Wow............... gobsmacked..

I wish they were readily available here for that price.