Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

For the time being, the plate has a mouth but it's kind of sunken in. It can't be seen in the pic but I saw it yesterday while feeding. How can I help the plate?

• Like 1

First quarantine this coral, just to play it safe.

And double check that the tissue is missing in the white areas, if the tissue is gone, you might have to use a little of that tetracycline, just in case it's bacterial and not viral fungal or a Protozoa causing the problems. Because of how spread on the coral the white is you can't frag the clean spots off to salvage it.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Ok, that I can do. I'll keep trying to feed it. Weirdest thing, the pagoda cup was closed up for the last two and a half days, 0 polyps out, and as soon as I added some phytoplankton they all started to open within 15 minutes.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Ok, that I can do. I'll keep trying to feed it. Weirdest thing, the pagoda cup was closed up for the last two and a half days, 0 polyps out, and as soon as I added some phytoplankton they all started to open within 15 minutes.

And your parameters? :happydance:

Is the tank too "Clean"?

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I picked up the plate and looked closer, looked like the tissue was gone from the tips of the ridges, still some lower down though.

My parameters are:

Temp. A bit high at 82

Sg. 1.025

Po4. 0

Alk. Holy crap it's low, 6.7, how can I fix that? Water change? I am due for one in the next day or so. It's never gone below 7.7, and that was only once. It usually sits at 8 or just above.

Calcium. 430

Lol I actually laughed when I read "is the tank too clean". Most certainly not, it's not gross or anything but I do like to feed. Plus I'm due for a water change.

My calcium has been a bit low in the past too on occasion, just wondering how much an ATO set up that I could put limewater in would cost. There's no chance of me affording a dosing pump or anything high tech in the near future but I don't want low alk and calcium to upset anything. Everything else is happy though, just the plate is having issues.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I would also like to add, that me, being the unprepared person I am, neglected to look at how healthy plate corals look, now that I have I realize all of the ones at the store were not. Like at all. I'll definitely do more research next time.

Baking soda can increase the alkalinity pretty easily.

The drip method is fine, just don't put too much, they aren't ready to become pickles yet :lol: ( pickled fish actually don't taste that bad)

Sounds like we are going to have an unhappy end to this plate coral. We're there any other corals but plate corals in the tank, if so how healthy were they?

• Like 1

There was lots of corals and they all seemed fine, but none of the plates were inflated.

if we are lucky the pathogen only kills plate corals. Its too bad we can't dose any antibacterials in the display tanks, because it'll kill the necessary bacteria and crash the entire system.
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

Ah everything seems good except the late. Mother pagoda caught some fish food today. How often should I target feed my corals? I really love doing it but I don't want to overfeed.

• Like 1

I don't think you can actually over feed a coral, really the only concern is having too much excess nutrients in the tank. How often do you feed them?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

1-2 times a week and whatever they catch themselves. I'm really pissed off right now. I just tried to put in one of the new bulbs I bought at J&L Aquatics and it doesn't fit. It is the right bulb, but it is about a half inch too long. WTF, how am I supposed to replace the bulbs if the correct ones don't even work!?

• Like 2

You definitely aren't overfeeding.

Maybe you should call the toll free number on the side of the night package and complain to the company, or go to the store and ask a refund, or replacement with the proper light.

Or both

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Good news! We phoned coralife and they are sending replacement bulbs free. Spparently at one point they tried another manufacturer and the bulbs were too long. And J&L is giving us refund so the bulbs are cost free :). Good to know I'm not overfeeding either, it always feels like it.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Well, today it is six months since the tank got wet, so I thought I would post a bunch of pics. Some are kind of blurry (my lack of photography skills :P). Enjoy! :)

FTS

image_zpsl3mr02tk.jpg

Right Side

image_zps8nc70qfq.jpg

Left side

image_zpsgiilq7gu.jpg

The zoas

image_zps5ugaublg.jpg

The not so happy plate

image_zpsymtjcmxd.jpg

Frags

image_zps7kuvinoe.jpg

Close up of the biggest frag

image_zpsphzfk4la.jpg

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Rear chamber top view

image_zpslmewfrgx.jpg

image_zpsggq19o3a.jpg

image_zpsohmxlvt1.jpg

The clowns clowning around

image_zpsyovuqtzv.jpg

FEEDING TIME!!!

image_zps4xxvhart.jpg

Even when I target feed Jacques he still steals from the corals

image_zpscefpdbju.jpg

image_zpsd4qmhnot.jpg

The hammer never used to eat when I used the Baxter to feed, but with the tweezers it is :)

image_zpssvse2prc.jpg

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Jacques up close and personal

image_zpshzel4cfl.jpg

There's been cerith snails on the pagoda for the last few days but it doesn't seem to mind

image_zps74uqwzi9.jpg

Before decapsulated brine shrimp eggs

image_zpsjxvxdgmr.jpg

After

image_zpsh4bnbivw.jpg

Peppermint patty

image_zpsy1mnjuad.jpg

My biggest hermit

image_zpsrvtu8gpk.jpg

The mushrooms ate some brine shrimp eggs too

image_zpsfo0wk2yq.jpg

Under the stand

image_zpsur5zx32n.jpg

The clown goby, pale because the lights had just gone on

image_zpsa7suzinp.jpg

Earlier today I went and checked someone's salinity because their refractometer hadn't arrived yet and they gave me a really pretty blue mushroom :D. I'll post a pic tomorrow

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Thanks amphipod, this tank is definitely my favorite. I can't believe it's already been 6 months. Here's the mushroom, I hope it splits.

image_zpswhn3yq2k.jpg

• Like 1