SaltCritters.com

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

The tank turned three today!  I can't believe that so much time has passed--I feel like I just set it up!  It still remains an exciting adventure with lots more to learn and many things yet to be discovered.  I freaking love this hobby!  Here's a quick video to commemorate the occasion.  Lots of pics to come!!!

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Happy Birthday! Wooho. Beautiful shots. 

Thank you!  I can’t believe that it’s already been 3 years!

3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Happy tankiversary! Great pictures too. Everything looks very healthy, and I love the corral for the walking dendro :)

Thanks teeny!  If I ever find another walking dendro, I’m going to have to make a bigger corral!

2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Yay!!  Happy Birthday tank!!!! :happydance:

everything is looking really good. :)  :):):)  :):):):)  :):):) 

Thank you WV!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I contacted a guy who is an hour and a half away who runs a reef store. He is placing an order in about four weeks, and I’ve asked him to order me a carpenters flasher wrasse and a yellow watchman goby!  Definitely at the max for fish. 

• Like 1

Wow, your pics are amazing.  I have to smile when I see that cute little citron gobie and the tailspot.  They are too cute.  Kudos to fishfreak for keeping and tank and persevering through the tough times.  To look at the tank now, no one would ever know about all you went through.  It looks amazing.

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Wow, your pics are amazing.  I have to smile when I see that cute little citron gobie and the tailspot.  They are too cute.  Kudos to fishfreak for keeping and tank and persevering through the tough times.  To look at the tank now, no one would ever know about all you went through.  It looks amazing.

:blush: Wow, thank you!  That means a lot :) 

fishfreak0114

Today I did the first water change in about two months.  Everything still looked great, but I figured I shouldn't push it too far.  I used distilled yet again.  I still have to test the RO/DI, but the replacement piece arrived and is installed.  The media bags and racks were filthy, and there was a nice clump of hair algae growing in the usual spot in the back chambers.  I scraped a bunch of coralline off the media and fuge racks into the dt in hopes of getting more coralline in there.  It grows so well in the back, I think because of the sunlight.

While cleaning, I noticed that cabbage leather was growing where I had previously removed it from the rock!  It's pretty amazing what coral can do!

25455445687_e78f7a5b74_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

Joe II is doing good.  i love how vibrantly orange he is!

39429226625_3054a64897_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

When I moved the GSP rock I disturbed Garth's burrow.  He came out and zoomed around for a while!

39615526614_c173ed3fc5_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

Here's the reef as of now.  Much cleaner!

38518298350_c5478cf1f5_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 4
1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Today I did the first water change in about two months.  Everything still looked great, but I figured I shouldn't push it too far.  I used distilled yet again.  I still have to test the RO/DI, but the replacement piece arrived and is installed.  The media bags and racks were filthy, and there was a nice clump of hair algae growing in the usual spot in the back chambers.  I scraped a bunch of coralline off the media and fuge racks into the dt in hopes of getting more coralline in there.  It grows so well in the back, I think because of the sunlight.

While cleaning, I noticed that cabbage leather was growing where I had previously removed it from the rock!  It's pretty amazing what coral can do!

25455445687_e78f7a5b74_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

Joe II is doing good.  i love how vibrantly orange he is!

39429226625_3054a64897_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

When I moved the GSP rock I disturbed Garth's burrow.  He came out and zoomed around for a while!

39615526614_c173ed3fc5_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

Here's the reef as of now.  Much cleaner!

38518298350_c5478cf1f5_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

Garth rules!  

Joe II is pretty cute too! :)  

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Aiptasia!!!!  Just one.  But still!  I had just fed the tank when I noticed an aiptasia poking out of one of the pipe organs!  I removed the coral from the tank and sadly had to break it up to get the aiptasia out.  It's gone (In a jar to see if it lives), and the coral isn't much worse for the wear, aside from being in two pieces. I also found a pretty little brittle star inside, which I put into the pico.  That's the first time I've encountered aiptasia in my three years of reefing.

• 1 month later...
fishfreak0114

Sorry for the radio silence!  I honestly didn’t even realize I haven’t been updating.

There’s nothing to update really.  The tank is on autopilot while I focus on school. Occasionally, like today, I had a bunch of free time so I tinkered a bit.  

Hair algae took off in the rear chambers so I removed a lot.  I also stirred up the sand, changed the media, and crushed some vermetids. It was nice to connect with the tank again.  Most of the coral is flourishing. I love watching things grow!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Sorry for the radio silence!  I honestly didn’t even realize I haven’t been updating.

There’s nothing to update really.  The tank is on autopilot while I focus on school. Occasionally, like today, I had a bunch of free time so I tinkered a bit.  

Hair algae took off in the rear chambers so I removed a lot.  I also stirred up the sand, changed the media, and crushed some vermetids. It was nice to connect with the tank again.  Most of the coral is flourishing. I love watching things grow!

Glad to hear things are going well! No news is good news in this case :)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Glad to hear things are going well! No news is good news in this case :)

No news is certainly good news!  Usually if everything is just smooth sailing I forget to update :blush:  I really should try to get a new FTS up soon though! 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

The feather caulerpa went sexual. What a nice way to have woken up this morning 🙄. I did a 32l water change and everything seems alright. It’s a shame though, it was looking so nice!

• Sad 1
fishfreak0114

Oh my, I haven’t been doing a very good job updating!  I mean, there really isn’t much to update. Both this tank and the pico have been on the back burner while I focus on school. I keep a close eye on things, intervene if needed, feed, top off, but that’s about it. Everything was fine after the caulerpa went sexual. The tank was quite clear by the next day. 

As far as inhabitants go, I still haven’t got anymore fish or inverts. The guy who was supposed to be getting them in still hasn’t. I’m not in a rush, but it would be nice to get them soon since I don’t know what will become of the tank when I grad next year.  Steve the serpent star seems to be on his last days. He never was the healthiest, but it makes me sad. I’m hoping he can still recover. 

A couple of the blastos have died or are receding and I don’t know why 😞  Everything else is happy and growing though. The tank has taken on a bit of a wild appearance with the lack of my attention. Macroalgae all over, and coral that needs readjusting. Now, FTS time!!

Bc29Bc29Bc29Bc29Bc29Bc29Bc29Bc29Bc29

I don’t know why the iPhone made a bunch of the pictures so dark. Oh well. You can see what you’re looking at :) 

• Like 5

Just caught up from...December...:blush: The tank look so great!  Sorry about the blastos.  I lost my pretty red and wintergreen one through a dumb error on my part and nearly lost one of my others but it is thankfully recovering in the hospital frag tank.

• Like 2