Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

Whir rest thing happened. After being closed for days, it magically opened today after 4 or 5 days. Was it conserving energy for that growth spurt or something?

• Like 1

I wouldn't have thought so... it just usually spreads like the plague. Only time I've seen mine do it was when it wasn't getting enough flow and was getting a bit dirty.

Hopefully someone can give you a better idea.

• Like 2

Whir rest thing happened. After being closed for days, it magically opened today after 4 or 5 days. Was it conserving energy for that growth spurt or something?

some corals do shed mucous and some amount of skin and close up during that time, I don't know gsp to be a species to do that for certianty. 5 days is a pretty long time though. Weird.
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

Well they seem all good now. I'm still working on using photobucket, it's been a long time since I added new photos

• Like 1

Well they seem all good now. I'm still working on using photobucket, it's been a long time since I added new photos

are you using a mobile device or computer?
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

Thanks!? I was so happy, the lady at the pet store traded me the two mushrooms for some of the mini snails that I have hundreds of! I'm gonna keep bringing her them because I have way too many.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

On the weekend, I am supposed to be getting a flame angelfish. I know there is a possibility of it nipping corals, the guy said he'd never seen it do it, so I'm taking my chances. He's also going to see if he can get in a tailspot blenny for me on the next order.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Would a 5 gallon be too small of QT? I have one laying around, but I saw a 10 at value village the other day that I can try to pick up if it needs to be larger.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Never mind, we're setting up the old 25 gallon we have. Should I do hypo salinity treatment, or just qt it and see if anything develops?

• Like 1

Never mind, we're setting up the old 25 gallon we have. Should I do hypo salinity treatment, or just qt it and see if anything develops?

quarantine definitely, hyposalinity will kill lots of valuable specimens and may not kill the pests.

5 gallons is a fine quarantine.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Oh well, I'm sure it will enjoy the spaciousness of the 25 I set up last night. I'll post a pic later or tomorrow when I get it.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Yesterday I got a flame angel, a harlequin serpent star (I think) and what appears to be a yellow toadstool leather. Sadly, my cleaner shrimp Jacques passed away :( , I believe from old age. All my parameters are fine and he was pretty damn big when we got him. The flame angel is doing great in QT, loving the seaweed clip. Photobucket is having issues, I'll try to figure out.

• Like 1

Yesterday I got a flame angel, a harlequin serpent star (I think) and what appears to be a yellow toadstool leather. Sadly, my cleaner shrimp Jacques passed away :( , I believe from old age. All my parameters are fine and he was pretty damn big when we got him. The flame angel is doing great in QT, loving the seaweed clip. Photobucket is having issues, I'll try to figure out.

usually they do recommend quite a bit of space for the flame angelfish but the fish shouldn't get ever much bigger than 4 inches, the problem is the fish swims a lot and sometimes is aggressive, I wonder how it will work. Pretty cool buys. Sorry your shrimp died :( .
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

You don't think the BioCube is too small for the Flame Angel?

I'm giving it a try, and if it doesn't seem happy I can find it a new home. I would love to set up a fowlr in the future, so I would probably transfer it anyways.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

image.jpg1_zpsyxvor3sc.jpg

Steve the serpent star

image.jpg1_zpsyrpqnvot.jpg

The leather frag, I believe a toadstool. Can anyone confirm? You can't see it in the picture, but it has a small stalk and now that it's open, polyps sticking out of the top. Maybe I'll add a current photo too.

image.jpg3_zpshyna8c0s.jpg

The flame angel. I've decided to call it Katniss the fish on fire. It's about 2.5 inches long.

image.jpg1_zpswoiea7du.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsxww3socq.jpg

I'm giving it a try, and if it doesn't seem happy I can find it a new home. I would love to set up a fowlr in the future, so I would probably transfer it anyways.

that sounds like a pretty good plan, how bigs the fish, Katniss, now?

As long as that frag has the polyps at the end of the long tentacles when active, it should be a toadstool. I like the brittle star, pretty cool, and aincient organisms.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Katniss is 2.5 inches rom the front to the base of the tail. It is a toadstool then :) I've been wanting one so I got it when I had the chance. I brought the guy I got the angel from a bunch of snails so I got it for free. The star is really neat, doesn't move much though. Would QTing the fish for 3 weeks be long enough?

• Like 1