Cultivated Reef

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

I could use your guys' thoughts on the matter of the hammer coral.  Frank, as my friends named it, isn't terribly happy, and hasn't been for a while.  The lights out hit it hard, and there was definitely some tissue recession.  It isn't really bouncing back, and has been quite pissed since the rescape, but I'm not sure why.  Perhaps the change of flow.  I'm considering rehoming it, but I know it won't be easy as I've become attached to it since it has a name.  Stupid, I know.  If it were your coral, what would you do?  I feel like I should rehome it, both to give it its best chance and to relieve some stress (I worry about it a lot), but at the same time, it is one of my oldest corals and I wish I could make it happy again.

Canada Corals isn't shipping anything until January 8th.  Unfortunately, I'll be back in school by then so it's kind of inconvenient.  It's going to take all my willpower to not add something to my order!

On 12/26/2017 at 9:43 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

I'm loving the new rock work!  I've continued to tweak coral placement as things adjust and expand.  The tank just looks so much more put together. I can't believe I waited this long!  I dropped Jacob back into the RFA today.  He seemed happy to be home :) 

Also, today I let things get a little out of hand......

I spent SO.MUCH.MONEY.  Boxing Day kills me every time.  I got lots of supplies, and plants for a freshwater tank, and I ordered from not one, but TWO different coral vendors.  Holy hell.

So, incoming from Fragbox I have 6 zoas/paly frags (red death, king midas, one with eagle eyes, radioactive, and some unknown one, etc.) and a sympodium frag.  I've wanted sympodium for a long time, but it hasn't been in stock in ages!  This order is arriving Thursday I think, and we will have to drive to Kamloops to pick it up.

I also ordered from Canada corals, where I got two beautiful blastos, a paly, and a white pipe organ frag.  All in all, despite spending WAY more than I intended, I'm happy with what I've got.  They say there is a 3-8 day delay on shipping, but we've contacted them in hopes that we could get it shipped for pick up Thursday also.  If we can't, no big deal, we'll pick it up next week.

Can't wait to see it all. 

• Like 1
controlledentropy
On 12/26/2017 at 10:43 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

I'm loving the new rock work!  I've continued to tweak coral placement as things adjust and expand.  The tank just looks so much more put together. I can't believe I waited this long!  I dropped Jacob back into the RFA today.  He seemed happy to be home :) 

Also, today I let things get a little out of hand......

I spent SO.MUCH.MONEY.  Boxing Day kills me every time.  I got lots of supplies, and plants for a freshwater tank, and I ordered from not one, but TWO different coral vendors.  Holy hell.

So, incoming from Fragbox I have 6 zoas/paly frags (red death, king midas, one with eagle eyes, radioactive, and some unknown one, etc.) and a sympodium frag.  I've wanted sympodium for a long time, but it hasn't been in stock in ages!  This order is arriving Thursday I think, and we will have to drive to Kamloops to pick it up.

I also ordered from Canada corals, where I got two beautiful blastos, a paly, and a white pipe organ frag.  All in all, despite spending WAY more than I intended, I'm happy with what I've got.  They say there is a 3-8 day delay on shipping, but we've contacted them in hopes that we could get it shipped for pick up Thursday also.  If we can't, no big deal, we'll pick it up next week.

That's why I couldn't get nice frags from them. They are all taken by you!

Joking. I am so tempted to order some but Canada Corals don't ship till the 8th, and I will be back to work by then.

• Haha 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, HIppieRose said:

Can't wait to see it all. 

I'm pretty excited! I'll be leaving to pick up the  Fragbox order shortly.

56 minutes ago, controlledentropy said:

That's why I couldn't get nice frags from them. They are all taken by you!

Joking. I am so tempted to order some but Canada Corals don't ship till the 8th, and I will be back to work by then.

:lol:

Do it!!

fishfreak0114

The frags are dipped and in the tank.  Nothing too freaky came off.  They all look really good!  A few were partly open in the bag.  Hopefully I'll grab some pics tomorrow.  I still haven't decided what to do on the matter of the hammer coral.

• Like 1

I love the new scape! And it sounds like you got some great corals.

The situation with Frank is a hard one. Maybe just try rehoming him somewhere on a trial basis to see if he improves? Sometimes euphyllia corals just decide to die and there's nothing anyone can do about it. This way you'd at least know whether it's something due to the conditions in your tank, or if he's just decided to off himself.

• Like 1

Have you tried the Sappy Sitcom Father/Son Dramatic Sit-Down and Life Advice move yet (the SSFSDSDLA for short)? You know, where (preferably after a commercial break) you sit Frank down on the edge of his bed, call him Pal (or Bud, dealer's choice), and ask in your best caring voice "what's wrong," before diving headlong into a long moral soliloquy about "how life can be tough, but sometime 'you need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps.'" Ideally, you want to end the scene with a well timed "aww" or applause from the studio audience. If that doesn't do the trick (which would be frankly, surprising), you basically have three options: 1) evict his lazy ass, immediately get a new coral that you happen to also name Frank, and forget he ever existed (repressed memories always work and are usually the best option); 2) put a 40 of Olde English and I'll Be Missin' You by Puff Daddy on ice and rest assured knowing that if he does go all "hari-kari" that you're prepared with all the items necessary to properly "pour some out for the homie," 3) utilize the dark web to hire a hit-man and "take care of the situation." It's a tough situation bud, but sometimes you have to just pull yourself up by the bootstraps and get through it (queue applause). 

• Haha 7
fishfreak0114
22 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I love the new scape! And it sounds like you got some great corals.

The situation with Frank is a hard one. Maybe just try rehoming him somewhere on a trial basis to see if he improves? Sometimes euphyllia corals just decide to die and there's nothing anyone can do about it. This way you'd at least know whether it's something due to the conditions in your tank, or if he's just decided to off himself.

Thanks!  As usual, I was really happy with what I got from Fragbox!

11 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Have you tried the Sappy Sitcom Father/Son Dramatic Sit-Down and Life Advice move yet (the SSFSDSDLA for short)? You know, where (preferably after a commercial break) you sit Frank down on the edge of his bed, call him Pal (or Bud, dealer's choice), and ask in your best caring voice "what's wrong," before diving headlong into a long moral soliloquy about "how life can be tough, but sometime 'you need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps.'" Ideally, you want to end the scene with a well timed "aww" or applause from the studio audience. If that doesn't do the trick (which would be frankly, surprising), you basically have three options: 1) evict his lazy ass, immediately get a new coral that you happen to also name Frank, and forget he ever existed (repressed memories always work and are usually the best option); 2) put a 40 of Olde English and I'll Be Missin' You by Puff Daddy on ice and rest assured knowing that if he does go all "hari-kari" that you're prepared with all the items necessary to properly "pour some out for the homie," 3) utilize the dark web to hire a hit-man and "take care of the situation." It's a tough situation bud, but sometimes you have to just pull yourself up by the bootstraps and get through it (queue applause). 

:lol::lol::lol:

That about sums up my feeling on that post.  That made my morning!

I think I might rehome him.  And take @Cannedfish's advice and name something else Frank :lol:  I just can't stop thinking about how much room for blastos that would open up!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Everything opened up quickly from Fragbox except for a couple zoas and the sympodium.  Its polyps are slowly peeking out.  I took pics, but left my camera cord behind so I can't get them onto my computer :closedeyes:

Someone needs to rip my computer from my hands and take all my money away!  My mom and I had planned to spend the money we got from my Great Aunt on a new light for the cichlid's tank.  But we decided not to, and half of the money was all mine.  I figured that since I hadn't expected to have that money in the bank, there was no harm spending it.  Canada Corals is now $100 dollars richer!  I knew I wouldn't be able to resist buying something with so much time to add to my order.  I think my new goal is to not buy myself a birthday present next week! 

I have a problem.  I admit it.  So where is the help group for coral and makeup addicts?

Today's additions to the order were Joe the 2nd (Halloween hermit), a spiny star snail because it looked cool, a "rough sketch" zoa frag, a rippin' rainbow rhodactis, and two goni's.  I was a little hesitant to order the goni's, but that one I had last year did well.  If it hadn't been flipped over while I was on vacation I think it would still be with me!  I plan to put the goni's where Frank currently resides.  I'm going to offer the hammer up to a lady who often visits town (because no way in hell I'm going on the icy highway to give someone coral).

fishfreak0114

One of the goni's I ordered was sold out, so I'm exchanging it for an alveopora.  Anyone know if them and goni's can touch?

Time to dump some photos on here!  I saw Steve...

38691659154_b56f67c308_k.jpgPC300706 by orb1915, on Flickr

Sympodium

24533979927_21770ab5e6_k.jpgPC300707 by orb1915, on Flickr

Freebie

38521555745_b22db8b974_k.jpgPC300709 by orb1915, on Flickr

Mixed frag

25529523028_29251337aa_k.jpgPC300710 by orb1915, on Flickr

Dracs

24533979527_fef88fdb35_k.jpgPC300711 by orb1915, on Flickr

Paly

25529522588_4f025ee973_k.jpgPC300712 by orb1915, on Flickr

Paly

38521554285_67bef411d1_k.jpgPC300713 by orb1915, on Flickr

King midas

39399688971_25568d296a_k.jpgPC300714 by orb1915, on Flickr

Red death

38521553465_905e613776_k.jpgPC300715 by orb1915, on Flickr

Quick FTS

39399688451_be7183f459_k.jpgPC300719 by orb1915, on Flickr

38521552845_2ff58124fb_k.jpgPC300722 by orb1915, on Flickr

I noticed a vermetid on the ultima blasto.  No wonder it was irritated!  It has been destroyed.

39399687811_f7805b8193_k.jpgPC300729 by orb1915, on Flickr

This is the current state of the hammer.  I'm almost wondering if part of the problem could be the clowns?  I've never seen them trying to host the hammer, but they have had black spots appearing on them.  I'm not sure what else would sting them like that.  Some heads are in worse shape then others

38521552335_28b15be0f0_k.jpgPC300730 by orb1915, on Flickr

The corky finger sat at the back of my tank for a long time and slowly began to poke polyps out.  I never expected it to comeback, but it has seemed even happier since I put it up higher!

39399687331_e49c77026d_k.jpgPC300741 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

Some bad news on the hammer front.   It has taken a rapid decline, and I don't even think there is time to give it away.  I fragged off the best looking heads and did an iodine dip and placed them in the pico.  Nothing came off, the only thing I noticed was that some mesenterial filaments were out around the bottom.  I hope they can recover.  If they do, it should be interesting figuring out where to put it. 

• Sad 1

Until I read the last post was about to say the tank is looking really good! Unlucky about the hammer though, sometimes we never know why something goes south. In my tank my sps love it but I removed most of my lps as for some reason they do not enjoy my tank 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, gogeta said:

Until I read the last post was about to say the tank is looking really good! Unlucky about the hammer though, sometimes we never know why something goes south. In my tank my sps love it but I removed most of my lps as for some reason they do not enjoy my tank 

Thanks.  I doubt I'll ever really know what wrong.  All I can hope is that the little frag survives in the pico.  It is somewhat open already :) 

fishfreak0114

So far the hammer frag is doing well in the pico.  I fragged the rest of the heads off and gave them an iodine dip.  They are all on the sand in this tank.  Very slight improvement is visible.  I might dip them again today.

I'm not sure why again, but my one recovering blasto lost all tissue overnight,  Not that there was a whole lot of tissue to lose, but still.  I'm confused.  All the other blastos are open and puffy.  I'm not sure if I should be concerned that there is some big issue that I'm not seeing, or if this and the hammer are just two freak incidents.  I mean, everything else looks great.

Just catching up on your big tank.  It looks wonderful and app3ars in general to have made a marvelous comeback since the light problem and electrocution.  I hope the hammer frags make it.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
4 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Just catching up on your big tank.  It looks wonderful and app3ars in general to have made a marvelous comeback since the light problem and electrocution.  I hope the hammer frags make it.

Thank you!  I hope the hammer frags can recover too.  The one in the pico at least seems to be doing ok.  A bit of tissue recession on one head, but it's open and puffy.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Well...............................I spent some birthday money today.  I checked Canada Corals this morning the moment they posted their new stuff, and sure enough, there was a beautiful red and yellow blasto and blue clavularia.  My order is supposed to be arriving this Wednesday!

controlledentropy
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Today is the day!  I’ll be picking the coral up after school omgomgomg

I wish I am that close to Canada Corals. I always have them ship stuff to me and some frags don’t ship well.

I only have one reef shop in my town.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
4 minutes ago, controlledentropy said:

I wish I am that close to Canada Corals. I always have them ship stuff to me and some frags don’t ship well.

I only have one reef shop in my town.

I’m actually in BC, so pretty far away. I can’t get overnight shipping to the tiny town I live in so I have to pick them up in the next city over at UPS center.  

fishfreak0114

I just realized I never posted any pics of the second order!  I've been crazy busy lately wit schoolwork as we approach the end of the semester.  I hope to give the tank some TLC this weekend :) 

Bernard doing his thing

39755156331_142b7794fe_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

Here you can see the new pipe organ, one of the blastos, and one of the goni's

25883470198_9f7921b54d_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

39755156811_8273288dc6_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

Dendro looking gorg

27976262369_843b5ece17_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

A quick shot of the zoa island, loaded up with the new zoas!

27976262399_4a23facedb_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

Here is the other goni

27976262489_720b0deb76_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

27976262519_4cf721a8a7_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

A quick FTS

27976262549_bafe5d4c2d_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

38856623625_60215a1244_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

The blue clove polyps are so beautiful!  I put a small piece into the pico

39045863184_cdd9f8cd1d_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

And to end, a pic of the school's beautiful beardie Nora, who I get to hang out with lot's! :wub: 

39723389322_54b418cf70_k.jpgReef by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

First day of the semester today and I'm home sick :( Since I'm not up to doing much of anything other than sit on the couch, I thought it'd be a good time to give an update. 

Confession:  I still haven't set up the RO/DI.  I tried, I swear!  Something is messed up so I can't screw the elbow into the unit, so I'm being sent a replacement part.  I also haven't done a water change in about a month and a half.  Everything looks really good though!  I honestly love how low maintenance this tank has become.  At almost three years old, it is pretty stable and doesn't need as much attention as it used to.  Despite almost certainly higher nutrients, there isn't a heck of a lot of algae growth, aside from the usual film on the glass.

26100213308_89993c4545_k.jpgIMG_0204 by orb1915, on Flickr

39262270614_15a07dc51e_k.jpgIMG_0205 by orb1915, on Flickr

39074866935_6616eebcd0_k.jpgIMG_0206 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
47 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, everything looks so lush and colorful. All the new additions are doing well? 

Thank you!  Yep, everything is doing well as far as I can tell. The pink going has been puffing up so much that I had to move a blasto to give it more space :) 

• Like 1