Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

24 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Yep, straight IO.  I thought it was the test kit, but my tank's alk is testing normal, around 8.3. I'm wondering if something changed in the tap water and my dad just wasn't told about it.

Violet is so cute :wub: 

I took a few more tank pics that I will make a point of getting up today, along with yesterday's.  I'll throw in a pic or two on non-reef photos (maybe cichlids?) because the reef pics aren't exactly happy ones.

I also opted to remove the small clump of chaeto.  It's in a Tupperware by itself because it stinks.  Might as well let whatever stinks rot outside of my tank.

It's entirely possible that the tap water was changed, municipalities don't always notify of things like that. If so, that may well have contributed to the earlier alk spikes as well. What a bummer. :( Violet huffs thank you!

• Like 1
Thunder Goose

What volume of IO did you get? Sometimes they need to be mixed after shipping. The all should NOT be high.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this tragedy.  :grouphug:

I might have a mantis shrimp up for grabs soon if you want to try something different after this disaster. 

fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's entirely possible that the tap water was changed, municipalities don't always notify of things like that. If so, that may well have contributed to the earlier alk spikes as well. What a bummer. :( Violet huffs thank you!

My dad is the CAO of Merritt, and he told me that if they change something he should be notified.  But you never know.  I guess the salt water I make with distilled will tell a lot.  That's probably the last or second to last test I'll be able to do with my alk test kit :unsure: might have to look for one tomorrow.

48 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

What volume of IO did you get? Sometimes they need to be mixed after shipping. The all should NOT be high.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this tragedy.  :grouphug:

I might have a mantis shrimp up for grabs soon if you want to try something different after this disaster. 

It's a 50g bag.  It got somewhat mixed because I poured it into my old IO bucket.  The only thing that makes sense for both my mixes to be higher than they're supposed to be is if it's the water source.  We'll find out soon.

I'd love to try keeping a mantis (though not in this tank). Unfortunately I'm in Canada :) 

I just heard Garth! :D That or something is cracking....pretty sure it was Garth though!

• Like 3
Thunder Goose
11 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I'd love to try keeping a mantis (though not in this tank). Unfortunately I'm in Canada :) 

Where in Canada? I'm not too far from the boarder and my brother in law is in Montreal.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

My dad is the CAO of Merritt, and he told me that if they change something he should be notified.  But you never know.  I guess the salt water I make with distilled will tell a lot.  That's probably the last or second to last test I'll be able to do with my alk test kit :unsure: might have to look for one tomorrow.

It's a 50g bag.  It got somewhat mixed because I poured it into my old IO bucket.  The only thing that makes sense for both my mixes to be higher than they're supposed to be is if it's the water source.  We'll find out soon.

I just heard Garth! :D That or something is cracking....pretty sure it was Garth though!

Where are you? I'm from Montreal! 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
6 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

Where in Canada? I'm not too far from the boarder and my brother in law is in Montreal.

Merritt, BC.  A few hours from the border.

2 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Where are you? I'm from Montreal! 

It seems that there's a decent number of NR people in the East of Canada.  I've only noticed a few from BC.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
8 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Be sure to get distilled water, ro is not the same as rodi... 

Yep, my mom picked up 16l of distilled on her way home from work.  I'll be going back there in an hour or so to make the new water.  Fingers crossed I can use it!

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Fantastic news!  The salt water made with just IO and distilled is testing 7.3!!!!!!!!!!  I can do as many water changes as I want!!!!!!!!   :happydance::)omgomgomg

It's gonna get pricey, but I'll whatever it takes to keep things alive.  Looks like I'll be buying an RO/DI unit soon, because 16l of distilled cost $10!  I tested my tap water out of curiosity, and alk is testing 7.7!  Would that just add to the salt's alk?  Sorry IO and RSCP for thinking it was your salt that was effed up.  I haven't actually tested the RSCP, but I'm assuming it will now yield the numbers on the label 

• Like 3

Wow, distilled is expensive out there! 

In Ontario I pay $6 for 18L.

Reefsupplies.ca has good prices for ro/di units.

Rscp always mixed high alk for me. IO never though. Always around 7.6

I use aquaforest now. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Be sure to get distilled water, ro is not the same as rodi... 

It's interesting how I keep seeing this topic come up! My LFS only has RO water and does not use deionization method. This is probably why they have tons of algae on everything.

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, I'm Batman said:

It's interesting how I keep seeing this topic come up! My LFS only has RO water and does not use deionization method. This is probably why they have tons of algae on everything.

Yep, basically: RODI > distilled > RO > carbon block > tap water.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Fantastic news!  The salt water made with just IO and distilled is testing 7.3!!!!!!!!!!  I can do as many water changes as I want!!!!!!!!   :happydance::)omgomgomg

It's gonna get pricey, but I'll whatever it takes to keep things alive.  Looks like I'll be buying an RO/DI unit soon, because 16l of distilled cost $10!  I tested my tap water out of curiosity, and alk is testing 7.7!  Would that just add to the salt's alk?  Sorry IO and RSCP for thinking it was your salt that was effed up.  I haven't actually tested the RSCP, but I'm assuming it will now yield the numbers on the label 

I am kicking myself for never asking if you were using tap water when we were wondering why your salt kept mixing with high alkalinity!

Anywhere from 7.7 to 9-10 is about right for IO. RSCP will mix a little higher, of course, but that's because it's supposed to :) 

You've reached the same conclusion many of us did sooner or later - unless you own your own RODI unit, you have no control over the quality of your water, and it's too expensive to buy distilled in the long term. You can buy premixed at the LFS, but you're then at the mercy of whatever they use for source water, even if they use RODI, you don't know if they've kept the filters changed, and of course you don't control what kind of salt they use and whether they mix it right.

I'm so sorry about the additional losses. I know when @FlowerMama had her disaster with her light falling into the tank, she lost just about everything. But hopefully the electrical current in your tank from the corroded wire was less, and you'll still be able to save some things. The fact that the fish are still alive is a good sign that all is not lost.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Wow, distilled is expensive out there! 

In Ontario I pay $6 for 18L.

Reefsupplies.ca has good prices for ro/di units.

Rscp always mixed high alk for me. IO never though. Always around 7.6

I use aquaforest now. 

Well I didn't get it from a  water place or anything, just 4l jugs from a grocery store.  Maybe it would be less expensive if I could find a big jug of it.   I'll check out reefsupplies, thanks :)

This IO mixed about 7.3

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
9 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I am kicking myself for never asking if you were using tap water when we were wondering why your salt kept mixing with high alkalinity!

Anywhere from 7.7 to 9-10 is about right for IO. RSCP will mix a little higher, of course, but that's because it's supposed to :) 

You've reached the same conclusion many of us did sooner or later - unless you own your own RODI unit, you have no control over the quality of your water, and it's too expensive to buy distilled in the long term. You can buy premixed at the LFS, but you're then at the mercy of whatever they use for source water, even if they use RODI, you don't know if they've kept the filters changed, and of course you don't control what kind of salt they use and whether they mix it right.

I'm so sorry about the additional losses. I know when @FlowerMama had her disaster with her light falling into the tank, she lost just about everything. But hopefully the electrical current in your tank from the corroded wire was less, and you'll still be able to save some things. The fact that the fish are still alive is a good sign that all is not lost.

I wish I'd checked it sooner.  I could have been doing normal sized water changes this whole time!  Something must have changed recently, because I never had problems with the tap before.

I figure for the moment while I'm doing frequent water changes, I'll continue using IO in distilled and add a little RSCP if I want higher alk.  Or some tap water.  I had to add a bit of tap to the water change water tonight because I used all 16l of distilled and added too much salt.  The water change came out to roughly 17.5l.

It was nice using free water while it lasted.....No LFS to buy water from, and seeing as at $20+ dollars a month for distilled, an RO/DI will pay itself off really quick.  Great, another thingie that I have to figure out how to use :rolleyes: That's honestly what has deterred me for so long.  Not only did I like free water, but I'm not great when it comes to using new devices.  I mean, I'm amazed I figured out how to install the new return pump!  Took me longer than it should have to figure out how to use the O-ring :unsure:

I think the remaining livestock will be ok.  Not sure why the deaths of the shrimp and snails was so delayed.  I heard Garth clicking more this evening when I went to do the water change.  I'm amazed that the white spot anemone shrimp, which looks so delicate, has done alright so far.  It alternates between pissing off the RFA and the green Duncan.  I see noticeable improvement in the corals every few hours, I've been comparing pics between days and things are definitely looking up :) Now that I can do water changes to control the ammonia, I feel a lot better.  The tank is kind of cloudy (I'm assuming bacteria bloom?) :wacko:

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Here's yesterday's pics.  I'm trying to document this whole thing thoroughly, even though it sucks.

36748868285_f59936b23e_k.jpgP8210723 by orb1915, on Flickr

36352648370_de03629d6d_k.jpgP8210722 by orb1915, on Flickr

36352648400_8b7a8ee5bb_k.jpgP8210721 by orb1915, on Flickr

This had discolored ends yesterday (not easy to tell in the pic) and I was expecting them to decay but it looks normal to me today

36748868485_f60ed20e71_k.jpgP8210720 by orb1915, on FlickrP8210721 by orb1915, on Flickr

Dead blastos :( You'll see on the back left one though that there is a polyp still there on the side!  It looks better today.  The purple sun also has some tissue left, but not a lot.  Not gonna toss it though until it's bone white.

35914626694_2de16e7776_k.jpgP8210719 by orb1915, on Flickr

The Japanese leather isn't looking any better today

36352648700_32be9929d1_k.jpgP8210718 by orb1915, on Flickr

Really dirty glass FTS.  But you can tell things are pissed

36352648900_c94aefa502_k.jpgP8210717 by orb1915, on Flickr

36352649210_01157cd847_k.jpgP8210716 by orb1915, on Flickr

New pump installed.  I had it set as low as possible yesterday but turned it up two notches today.  More surface agitation

36352649150_0a3d090dad_k.jpgP8210715 by orb1915, on Flickr

Not a lot of change since yesterday

35914627034_75b253fb1d_k.jpgP8210714 by orb1915, on Flickr

The toadstool is still this sad and droopy, but some polyps are starting to come out today.  Fingers crossed it perks back up

35939827873_3b29c371e6_k.jpgP8210713 by orb1915, on Flickr

35914627304_b0688678cb_k.jpgP8210712 by orb1915, on Flickr

This was the tank situation before I got the new return pump and put all the coral back in

35939828033_af279bce44_k.jpgP8200711 by orb1915, on Flickr

And because I said I wanted to post a couple pictures of happy things, cichlids!  We have 11 total now, and are talking about upgrading to a 75g.

35914627454_84e7e84c2b_k.jpgP8200705 by orb1915, on FlickrP8200711 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
fishfreak0114

Things are looking better today.  My phone takes crappy pics, but I forgot to take my camera with me :rolleyes:

36352793970_33c7e79b99_k.jpgimage1.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Sad green blasto starting to open

36352793910_72e3358862_k.jpgimage1.jpegd by orb1915, on Flickr

More zoas are peeking out

36352793760_3a69bb96ef_k.jpgimage2.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Frank is puffier.  The splatter hammer is also improving

36352793620_3e8dffdbd0_k.jpgimage3.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Stomatella shell :tears:

36352793350_6dcf691e33_k.jpgimage3.jpegd by orb1915, on Flickr

36352793270_5943de3b3b_k.jpgimage4.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

More polyps out

36352793160_509d796d96_k.jpgimage4.jpegd by orb1915, on Flickr

Big toadstool with a couple starting to come out.  The branch of the green leather that's drooping in the pic has since perked up to normal :)  The green polyp toadstool has no signs of letting its polyps out

36579312442_23d9a2171b_k.jpgimage5.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

The RFA is open most of the time, though not as large as before the incident

36579311892_f70f625da2_k.jpgimage6.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

More cichlids!  They're like little puppies begging for food all the time.  I often give in and chuck a couple pellets in when I go by.  I'm amazed they're not fat

36352791940_71f6456b1b_k.jpgimage6.jpegd by orb1915, on Flickr

36352793610_5835e4987d_k.jpgimage2.jpegf by orb1915, on Flickr

I re decorated my 5g today.  Took everything out and put in new substrate, and some new plants.  It was an ugly jungle of clipping I'd dropped in over the past year as I pruned in my other tanks, and had really bad gravel.  It's somewhat better now, and I realized I have a whole 6 cherry shrimp.  Though there was only 5.

36352793810_db94b1a041_k.jpgimage1.jpegf by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I wish I'd checked it sooner.  I could have been doing normal sized water changes this whole time!  Something must have changed recently, because I never had problems with the tap before.

I figure for the moment while I'm doing frequent water changes, I'll continue using IO in distilled and add a little RSCP if I want higher alk.  Or some tap water.  I had to add a bit of tap to the water change water tonight because I used all 16l of distilled and added too much salt.  The water change came out to roughly 17.5l.

It was nice using free water while it lasted.....No LFS to buy water from, and seeing as at $20+ dollars a month for distilled, an RO/DI will pay itself off really quick.  Great, another thingie that I have to figure out how to use :rolleyes: That's honestly what has deterred me for so long.  Not only did I like free water, but I'm not great when it comes to using new devices.  I mean, I'm amazed I figured out how to install the new return pump!  Took me longer than it should have to figure out how to use the O-ring :unsure:

I think the remaining livestock will be ok.  Not sure why the deaths of the shrimp and snails was so delayed.  I heard Garth clicking more this evening when I went to do the water change.  I'm amazed that the white spot anemone shrimp, which looks so delicate, has done alright so far.  It alternates between pissing off the RFA and the green Duncan.  I see noticeable improvement in the corals every few hours, I've been comparing pics between days and things are definitely looking up :) Now that I can do water changes to control the ammonia, I feel a lot better.  The tank is kind of cloudy (I'm assuming bacteria bloom?) :wacko:

I don't have an ro/di and was pretty intimidated by it but there are videos on YouTube for setting it up.

After watching them, it seems pretty easy.

I get my distilled at the grocery store.

I put a 1 time refundable $10 deposit for the bottle. I pick up 1 bottle a week, return the empty, pick up a full.

It's in the section where you get the 18L water cooler bottles 

You can get 1g jugs for $1.00 at walmart.

• Like 1

Things are looking good. 

Good job on all your hard work. Now it's time you get rest, I'm sure you're exhausted?

Leathers will take a while to bounce back. They get pissy easily and stay Moody for awhile when ticked.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
24 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I don't have an ro/di and was pretty intimidated by it but there are videos on YouTube for setting it up.

After watching them, it seems pretty easy.

I get my distilled at the grocery store.

I put a 1 time refundable $10 deposit for the bottle. I pick up 1 bottle a week, return the empty, pick up a full.

It's in the section where you get the 18L water cooler bottles 

You can get 1g jugs for $1.00 at walmart.

Time to start watching YouTube videos I guess!

I'll have to check for refillable bottles next time.  Not sure we have anything like that in my tiny town.

20 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Things are looking good. 

Good job on all your hard work. Now it's time you get rest, I'm sure you're exhausted?

Leathers will take a while to bounce back. They get pissy easily and stay Moody for awhile when ticked.

Thanks, I'm so happy to see improvement! :) I figured when the event first went down that I would be losing everything.  The resilience of coral forever amazes me.  I am pretty tired, off to bed!  I have to get up early to go to the dentist :unsure: Stupid cavity.....

• Like 3

Good luck at the dentist! Bulk Reef Supply has a good video on how to set up their RODI system. They're all pretty much the same so it will help more matter which one you get. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Good luck at the dentist! Bulk Reef Supply has a good video on how to set up their RODI system. They're all pretty much the same so it will help more matter which one you get. 

Thanks, I'll watch it later :) 

10 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Things are looking better today.  My phone takes crappy pics, but I forgot to take my camera with me :rolleyes:

36352793970_33c7e79b99_k.jpgimage1.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Sad green blasto starting to open

36352793910_72e3358862_k.jpgimage1.jpegd by orb1915, on Flickr

More zoas are peeking out

36352793760_3a69bb96ef_k.jpgimage2.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Frank is puffier.  The splatter hammer is also improving

36352793620_3e8dffdbd0_k.jpgimage3.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

Stomatella shell :tears:

36352793350_6dcf691e33_k.jpgimage3.jpegd by orb1915, on Flickr

36352793270_5943de3b3b_k.jpgimage4.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

More polyps out

36352793160_509d796d96_k.jpgimage4.jpegd by orb1915, on Flickr

Big toadstool with a couple starting to come out.  The branch of the green leather that's drooping in the pic has since perked up to normal :)  The green polyp toadstool has no signs of letting its polyps out

36579312442_23d9a2171b_k.jpgimage5.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

The RFA is open most of the time, though not as large as before the incident

36579311892_f70f625da2_k.jpgimage6.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

More cichlids!  They're like little puppies begging for food all the time.  I often give in and chuck a couple pellets in when I go by.  I'm amazed they're not fat

36352791940_71f6456b1b_k.jpgimage6.jpegd by orb1915, on Flickr

36352793610_5835e4987d_k.jpgimage2.jpegf by orb1915, on Flickr

I re decorated my 5g today.  Took everything out and put in new substrate, and some new plants.  It was an ugly jungle of clipping I'd dropped in over the past year as I pruned in my other tanks, and had really bad gravel.  It's somewhat better now, and I realized I have a whole 6 cherry shrimp.  Though there was only 5.

36352793810_db94b1a041_k.jpgimage1.jpegf by orb1915, on Flickr

Things DO look better, this makes me :happydance:!!!!!!

Hope things go well at the dentist and you come home to even more improvements. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
8 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Things DO look better, this makes me :happydance:!!!!!!

Hope things go well at the dentist and you come home to even more improvements. 

It makes me :happydance: too!!!

I hope the toadstools have more polyps out today.