Pod Your Reef

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

13 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

:lol: my last two were so good though :unsure:

I'm not sure if the Halloween switched shells, but I'll keep an eye out for him.  The reason I figured he was dead was because I saw tiny bits of his legs drifting around, but I suppose that could be a molt. 

I might end up putting Leonardo in the refugium in the back.  There is a decent clump of macro for him. 

I really hope the pistol doesn't start killing things.  He so cute!  Perhaps look are deceiving. 

The other day my pistol blew a hermit crab out of her hole and it was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen! Wish I had caught it on camera. Luckily the hermit was fine. 

• Haha 2

My opinion on crabs is they are opportunistic animals when it comes to feeding. In my experience they haven't picked at a coral that wasn't in bad shape and they assumed dying and therefore started going to town.

in saying that, what wv said never trust a crab lol

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, gogeta said:

My opinion on crabs is they are opportunistic animals when it comes to feeding. In my experience they haven't picked at a coral that wasn't in bad shape and they assumed dying and therefore started going to town.

in saying that, what wv said never trust a crab lol

Well the blasto is definitely not dying. It's happy and puffy. Thankfully he didn't really do any damage, but he was trying to grab the flesh, not the skeleton. 

The tank looks great! I agree about the crabs, though. My blue leg hermits mostly leave things alone but even they sometimes get carried away. 

Once a crab goes to the dark side he never comes back. I think the refugium is a good place for a first-time offender. 

• Haha 3
fishfreak0114
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

The tank looks great! I agree about the crabs, though. My blue leg hermits mostly leave things alone but even they sometimes get carried away. 

Once a crab goes to the dark side he never comes back. I think the refugium is a good place for a first-time offender. 

Thanks! I'm hoping I can lure the crab out with mysis and banish him to algae jail. I tried the other night but for a tiny thing, he can sure hold on to the rocks!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I managed to catch Leonardo and banish him to the back chambers.  He gave me quite an unpleasant surprise when I picked him up!  Pinching and digging his feet? (does he have feet?) into my finger :unsure:  He seems happy enough back there, last time I saw him he was hanging upside down off of the media basket.

Here's a few pics I took a while back and never got around to posting. 

One of the entrances to Garth's burrow

38638911802_b6a7610963_k.jpgPB210535 by orb1915, on Flickr

The man himself

37783366285_05dc09e0d5_k.jpgPB210537 by orb1915, on Flickr

Jacob and his missing limbs :( He seems to be doing alright

38638911402_2e2001c652_k.jpgPB210543 by orb1915, on Flickr

Steve is still going strong

38638911202_a427ae7d6a_k.jpgPB210546 by orb1915, on Flickr

This is one wacky looking mushroom!

37783365655_32d78e8e20_k.jpgPB260553 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 4

Pistol shrimps will only use their weapon if they and/or their goby are threatened. I've seen mine pick up hermits and literally throw them out of their hole. They will use their pop gun on wandering starfish though, they want NO parts of them in their burrows. See if you can find a Candycane goby to go with your Randall's shrimp.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
25 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Pistol shrimps will only use their weapon if they and/or their goby are threatened. I've seen mine pick up hermits and literally throw them out of their hole. They will use their pop gun on wandering starfish though, they want NO parts of them in their burrows. See if you can find a Candycane goby to go with your Randall's shrimp.

That's good to know.  I guess the crab is probably the guilty one then who hurt Jacob.  I want to get the pistol a little goby friend, but I don't know when I'll get to a place that sells fish.  I usually buy my fish in Vancouver, but I don't go there in winter because the roads are so bad.  If the opportunity for a goby arises, I'll take it!

As others have said, crabs are bastards and they're opportunistic predators and scavengers. If they can take it down, they'll try to eat it. I've never seen a pistol shrimp overtly attack anything other than a mantis shrimp and they WILL win that battle. The larger Tiger pistols are the gentile giants, those little Randalls can get a Napoleon complex, lol.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The back side of the big toadstool is growing a little wonky.  I suspect that it's because of the high flow on the back.  I wonder what it'll look like as it keeps growing?38102027814_550284c9da_k.jpgPB300626 by orb1915, on Flickr

This blasto has regenerated lots of little heads since the electrical incident! :) 

38102027514_d6ba64ca68_k.jpgPC030636 by orb1915, on Flickr

The clowns have black spots on them again, but I'm not sure what they tried to host.  Queen Bee has been super annoying lately.  She has taken to flipping the dendro pen up.  I watched her one time, just after I put it back in place, swim up, dig her nose under it and flip it into the glass!  Brat :rolleyes:

38102027124_2b246270d3_k.jpgPC030640 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 4
fishfreak0114
23 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Sounds like Queen Bee is trying to dig up her chosen spawning area. Silly clowns :lol:

Why couldn't she just go for a nice rock?  One day she managed to shuffle the pen and dendro to the back of the tank, and she's dug the sand out until the bottom glass was visible.

• Like 1

And this is the reason my clowns, when I have them, are housed in their own tanks. Bonnie and Clyde were great in their 130D. When we moved them to the 60 cube, they lost their minds. The larger clowns are better than occy/perc clowns in my observations.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Javobs claw is growing back!  And on Monday, I moved the white spot anemone shrimp into the coffee pot and returned Jacob to his nem. He's pretty happy!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

I may have gotten a little ahead of myself with the Boxing Day shopping and ordered some coral yesterday!  I plan to add to the order on boxing day, but there were a few great deals I couldn't pass up.  I bought several zoas and palys.

Also, I might actually change the scape tomorrow.  Today is the last day of school for two weeks, so I'll have lots of time to fix things if I somehow eff the tank up in the process.  I do feel kind of bad doing aesthetics work though when I still haven't set up my RO/DI!  I might pick up distilled for a water change this weekend, I think it has been a month and  half!  The tank is really going into auto pilot mode :)

fishfreak0114

I'm a little concerned about my coral order.  I just visited their website again and went under a tab that I don't usually visit, the 'all coral' tab.  There was a message saying "No holds at this time, all order will be shipped out to arrive next day "  That's the only tab it shows up on.  I'm not sure if it was there yesterday, but if it was, I'm in trouble!

fishfreak0114

My coral order wasn't shipped, thank god. 

I did it!  I rescaped yesterday!  It was a lengthy and painful process, but it's done and I'm really happy.  I removed a massive hunk of rock, and only put a small piece back in.  It is a lot more open space, and all of the corals are off the sand bed.  I removed the frag rack too.  I expect that I'll need to tweak placement as things open up.  I followed the rescape with a water change.  The whole thing took over three hours!

Most things were super easy to remove from the rock.  The RFA was a struggle, but after 20 minutes of poking the bottom, rubbing an ice pack on it, and gently lifting with a fingernail, it let go.  It had its foot wedged deep into a hole, and I had to stick my finger in there to get it off.  I'm so lucky I didn't get bristle wormed!

I pulled the rock out of the tank and set it down on a garbage bag.  A moment later I lifted it up, and Bernard fell out!  I plopped him back into the tank, unscathed.  Jacob was still on the rock in a hole so I put it back in the tank.  While trying to get him out, I noticed a wriggly blob.  A worm!  A BIG peanut worm.  I didn't even realize that I had peanut worms aside from the one in the dendro.  Jacob was pretty easy to get off, but that worm was another story.  I basted and prodded it for quite some time but nothing could make it leave the tunnel.  Eventually I took the rock out and dripped freshwater on one end.  It still didn't move.  I continued poking.  Nothing....

After about 45 minutes I was pretty damn frustrated, so I took coral cutters and gently broke open the tunnel.  I got him off the rock and moved him into the Pico.  He is now named Fat Bastard.

Even as I write this, I see a couple corals that I need to move, so I'll probably do that right away in hopes that everything opens up later for a picture.  I also need to pick Jacob up and put him back in his nem, last I checked he was chilling in the GSP.  I don't think he knows that I put his home back in the tank.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Merry Christmas everyone!!! ?

Here's some pics from the rescape! 

This is one final (crappy) shot before I changed things

39286117001_4d5c8a4524_k.jpga by orb1915, on Flickr

I changed the rocks a little more after this

24423595237_d8b098aad3_k.jpgf by orb1915, on Flickr

Things were still pretty scrunched up yesterday afternoon.  I look forward to getting a pic with everything wide open.

25418644818_d5dc78aeb0_k.jpgg by orb1915, on Flickr

39286116221_c6872e972a_k.jpgh by orb1915, on Flickr

Fat Bastard!

24423594777_74ee695252_k.jpgs by orb1915, on Flickr

39286116591_ed896ea4bc_k.jpgd by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

I'm loving the new rock work!  I've continued to tweak coral placement as things adjust and expand.  The tank just looks so much more put together. I can't believe I waited this long!  I dropped Jacob back into the RFA today.  He seemed happy to be home :) 

Also, today I let things get a little out of hand......

I spent SO.MUCH.MONEY.  Boxing Day kills me every time.  I got lots of supplies, and plants for a freshwater tank, and I ordered from not one, but TWO different coral vendors.  Holy hell.

So, incoming from Fragbox I have 6 zoas/paly frags (red death, king midas, one with eagle eyes, radioactive, and some unknown one, etc.) and a sympodium frag.  I've wanted sympodium for a long time, but it hasn't been in stock in ages!  This order is arriving Thursday I think, and we will have to drive to Kamloops to pick it up.

I also ordered from Canada corals, where I got two beautiful blastos, a paly, and a white pipe organ frag.  All in all, despite spending WAY more than I intended, I'm happy with what I've got.  They say there is a 3-8 day delay on shipping, but we've contacted them in hopes that we could get it shipped for pick up Thursday also.  If we can't, no big deal, we'll pick it up next week.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
13 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Nice! I just ordered a few zoos from fragbox as well. I’ll send you some cheap Utter Chaos when I figure out how to do so lol.