ReefCleaners.org

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

Katniss Should be fine in there for a short time. Once she starts to grow though she will start to get aggressive and will start to stress out your other fish in the display. Be very diligent about watching her for this because Angels are notorious for (if they don't kill themselves first) for stressing out other livestock and causing an ich outbreak in the aquarium. As for the QT 3 weeks should be long enough but that doesn't mean the ich parasite will be completely removed.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Thanks for the advice, I will keep a close eye on the situation. It appears to be perfectly healthy, eating well and such. The guy I got it from had had it for over a month already.

• Like 1

Yeah 3 weeks is fine, also look out for the many other disease symptoms, there is a lot of bad ones. Sores and growths are common symptoms of very bad diseases.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Yesterday I picked up a new cleaner shrimp. This one is smaller. The flame is showing zero signs of disease or anything, do I have to keep it in any longer or can it go in in my tank? If there's still a risk of getting my other fish sick, I'll keep it in QT longer. And I'd thought patience while cycling was hard :P

• Like 1

Well since the other guy kept it for a month, nothing showed, you've kept it a week and nothing has shown. There is a chance something can be caught in the month quarantined by the other guy, but in this case I think it is fine for introduction as long as the other guy wasn't keeping that fish around other new quarantined fish in the month.

There is always a risk, just quarantine makes there be less risk.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I put Katniss in on Thursday night, and (money pun intended) so year it's been an angel. My clowns aren't too happy with the new addition, they don't bug it but they've become quite shy. They spend virtually all their time in the back left corner. Do you think they'll come to the front once they get used to sharing the tank? I'm absolutely amazed at the rate that the radioactive zoas grow at, I believe I've had 5-6 new polyps open this month. The gsp has spread more too, another square cm.would the stock lighting be able to grow any montipora caps? Or just lps? I'll try to get a pic of the flame later, it's so fast though. It's discovered a lot of small arches and caves I didn't even know I had! Also, thankfully, my female clown is no longer aggressive when Put my hand in, no more biting. I think the flame has humbled it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

I'm so sad right now. I looked in my tank to see my emerald crab, Leonardo resting at an odd angle, kind of like he'd fallen off the rock. He was dead. I removed his body and looked it over, no damage and it was not a molt. He will be missed. Anyone have ideas why he died? All my parameters were in range so in have no idea why he died. He was rather large when I got him though, his carapace over an inch and a half so it may have been old age. Petland keeps getting old, full grown stuff, I'm no going to buy from them anymore. Also, my mushroom split for the first time a couple days ago!

Sorry to hear, it believe it or not could have been a moult, there is one moult complication where they don't escape the shell, that one can be figured if you look really carefully at the back of the carapace where they should escape, there will be often a little bit of tissue usually white showing through, though in rare situations they never get out at all, true crabs and lobsters are often potentially long lived and they die of old age by being, unable to escape their shells.

The other death options are numerous, if it wasn't a pathogen it still could have been something else. Who knows maybe Leonardo had a genetic defect, maybe some crab heart disease and as a result died of a heart attack ( animals can often suffer the same diseases as people).

At least most corals aren't known to die of old age, so corals should still be fine.

That's good news about the mushroom, I think ts pretty cool how they can survive tearing their bodies in half.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Yay! my cleaner shrimp mounted for the first time! It's already out and about too only a day or two later. The diversity in the tank is mind blowing. I looked in my pod pile with a. Flashlight a few minutes ago and saw large orange amphipods almost a cm long, bluish grey amphipods about half a cm long, copepods, mini brittle stars, spiorbis worms, a bristle worm and a baby spaghetti worm. Spaghetti worms are reef safe right? Not harmful?

• Like 1

That's good news :)

That's pretty cool, some day you should get a dim flashlight and some food like a sliver of shrimp meat, drop it in front of the amphipods and watch what they do, its usually quite a scene lol. That's one great benefit of getting good live rock is the hitchhikers, the more the merrier to me lol. Spaghetti worms ( cirratulids) are wonderful to have, great free cuc pieces, they pretty much scavenge.

• Like 1
elusianzxelo

hi guys off subject, i just started an nano tank almost 2 months...got my bat bloom away, i remember that i had this on my rock, but now it looks bigger, what is it?

post-88319-0-57002900-1434602373_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Sorry but I have no clue what that is. Maybe someone else can help? Here's some updated pics. (Taken with my iPhone)

image_zpspmb1utt9.jpg

image_zpsn0cqjcvj.jpg

image_zpsuophgyvu.jpg

image_zpsfwlespxy.jpg

image_zpsgh8jqnjr.jpg

image_zpsyanu4lge.jpg

image_zpsnoy3ujt1.jpg

• Like 2

hi guys off subject, i just started an nano tank almost 2 months...got my bat bloom away, i remember that i had this on my rock, but now it looks bigger, what is it?

looks kinda like a sponge or less likely a tunicate colony. Take a look at the end of each branch, are their two and no more than 2 siphons on top? if not, it likely isn't tunicates. Another less reliable test is to touch the animal and see if the siphon closes quickly, if it doesn't close quickly or at all it is probably a sponge. Either way its growing well in your tank and it is a harmless addition.

Your zoas and other pets look very Happy and healthy :) keep it up, you are doing good.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Just looking into alternative lighting options lately. Would the 24 LEDs strip DIY dim able kit with a 12x2x40cm heat sink fit under the biocubes splash guard once the hood is gutted from aquastyleonline.com?

fishfreak0114

Tonight was interesting. Due to my zoa colonies quick growth, I decided that I would try my hand at fragging. It went...okay I guess. I made 4 frags off the radioactive dragon eye colony. If these frags turn out all right I would like to do the other colony too. I'm hoping that at least 2 frags make it, there's one I'm almost positive it won't because I messed up while glueing but the other three look good. They haven't opened yet, nor has my colony but its only been like a half hour and they were pretty pissed off. What's the average survival rate of frags? The moon lights already on but I'll put a pic anyways. I used this crafting blade from the dollarama, pretty much an exacto knife with a nice grip handle to sever the tissue connecting them and gently scrape off the polyps. Then I glued them down. Was that an ok thing to do? The "frag rack" is a piece of egg crate I cut to size and wedged between a rock and some suction cups. It's on a bit of an angle. Is that fine?

image_zpspodsbbyd.jpg

image_zpsq8bxdtkf.jpg

• Like 1

An angle shouldn't hurt the frags, looks pretty good to me. I have seen some pretty extreme recoveries from damaged corals on peoples threads before, this one shattered the brain corals skeleton by accident and it had recovered, it looked pretty bad also. Unless the glue is going to suffocate the polyp it has a chance. By tomorrow they should be opened, if not that isn't the best sign.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I think the glue will suffocate it. The other ones are all opening now though. The colony too. How long should I wait before I sell them? A few weeks to let them fully heal?

• Like 1

I think the glue will suffocate it. The other ones are all opening now though. The colony too. How long should I wait before I sell them? A few weeks to let them fully heal?

depends what your goal of money is, you could sell them after a couple weeks once they are healed and starting to grow again. Or you could also wait until more polyps start to form on the frags so they might make more money if you make the prices off of a per polyp scale.
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

That's a good idea, maybe I'll let them grow out. Hers a picture of the frags now that they are opening. Also, my friend brought me back some shells from her vacation and beetle juice, (one of myth it's) has already taken up residence.

image_zpslzivunhg.jpg

image_zpsbbmd5jm1.jpg

image_zpsndejdu9p.jpg

• Like 1

The 3 are looking very good, the fourth actually might be salvageable yet if you can get tweezers and he knife and try to gently cut the extra glue off the polyp, no guarantee it will survive but it could be worth a shot.

Beetle juice must have been tight in his old shell, he's probably saying thank you in his own crabby way lol.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

It turns out I didn't eat glue on the mouth of the fourth frag, it was open today. It looks a little ragged on one side but I think it will recover. Looks like all four will make it?. I may frag the other colony tomorrow if I can get it unstuck from where it is.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

All the frags are good, seems that all made it. I'm sad to say that my yellow toadstool, which never really did well and wasn't healthy when I got it, has started to disintegrate. I'm pretty sure it's like totally dead and just decomposing now. Maybe I'll get another one sometime.