Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

The tank is still doing alright, I'm keeping an eye on the finger leather to see how it does.  Haven't fragged or dipped it yet as I'm not sure the hole is new.  I really hope the power supply gets here quick because not only is the reef not doing as well as before, but my planted tank (now without light) isn't either.

I find myself worrying more and more about my heater lately, thanks to the return pump failure and now the power supply failure.  I never did buy an Inkbird (Though I hope to at some point, I'm one to delay not-fun purchases for a REALLY long time).  I do however have a second Jager 100w heater (I don't remember why I bought it, mixing water?).  It has had very little use.  Should I switch my 2.5 y/o heater for the almost new one?  It seems like the logical thing to me, but I can't help but worry that the new one will fail.  What would you do?  Maybe if I test it in a bucket for a week?  The dials are super inaccurate so I would have to tune it in to 80 outside of the tank.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The tank is still doing alright, I'm keeping an eye on the finger leather to see how it does.  Haven't fragged or dipped it yet as I'm not sure the hole is new.  I really hope the power supply gets here quick because not only is the reef not doing as well as before, but my planted tank (now without light) isn't either.

I find myself worrying more and more about my heater lately, thanks to the return pump failure and now the power supply failure.  I never did buy an Inkbird (Though I hope to at some point, I'm one to delay not-fun purchases for a REALLY long time).  I do however have a second Jager 100w heater (I don't remember why I bought it, mixing water?).  It has had very little use.  Should I switch my 2.5 y/o heater for the almost new one?  It seems like the logical thing to me, but I can't help but worry that the new one will fail.  What would you do?  Maybe if I test it in a bucket for a week?  The dials are super inaccurate so I would have to tune it in to 80 outside of the tank.

I think your idea of testing it in a bucket for a few days to get the temp dialed in is a good one. 

Hope the Leather improves.

Also, Hiiiiii!!!

Been a lot busier, but I lurk on your thread from time to time. ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think your idea of testing it in a bucket for a few days to get the temp dialed in is a good one. 

Hope the Leather improves.

Also, Hiiiiii!!!

Been a lot busier, but I lurk on your thread from time to time. ;)

Hey Weetie! I guess I'll put it in a bucket today then and get the temp figured out. I hope the leather inproves too. It's not like what happened to the toadstool, a sudden giant hole, it hasn't changed really at all over the last few days. And the coral is still opening up (when it gets light at least).  I hear ya on business, I haven't been posting as much since school started. 

2 hours ago, gogeta said:

I'd swap for the newer one 

I'll do that then. Hopefully it'll

give me some peace of mind.  

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I’ve been neglecting updates a little lately.  Life is busy!  I figured it was time to give a rundown of what’s been going on lately. 

The lights are still out.  Dave sent me a power supply, but it hasn’t arrived yet.  I give an A+ for customer service!  Things are getting somewhat more desperate for light.  I’ve noticed a number of new corals bending to catch the maximum light, most notably the green polyp toadstool.  It looks weird how it’s contorting itself.  Nothing is dying though, just not the happiest.  I’m making sure to feed frozen on a regular basis.

One thing that really took off with lights out is the hair algae on my powerhead!  Usually there is only a tiny bit, but it was starting to cover it.  I took it out a few days ago and soaked it in hot water with vinegar and peroxide.  I had intended to just soak it for an hour or two, but I forgot it overnight.  That algae is REALLY dead.

Yesterday I remembered to put the newer heater in a bucket to work on dialing it in.  I think I got it pretty close on the first try.  I need to check again later to make sure it holds steady.

The RO/DI has yet to be ordered.  I gave my mom the link, but she keeps forgetting. 

The finger leather hasn’t changed condition, so I’m not really sure what the deal with the hole is.  Maybe it’s been there for a long time and I’m only noticing it now.

Today my mom and I made a day trip to Vancouver.  I’m actually wrote this as we drove home, because it’s a long ride (2.5h) and I had nothing better to do.  We had some fun browsing IKEA, then headed to J&L Aquatics.  As usual, there was lots to see.   I’ve got to say, it’s my favorite store to visit.  There’s always interesting livestock, and things are actually healthy!  I’ve been enjoying Madcat’s LFS pics lately, so I thought I’d take a few of my own.  I’ll get them up when I have time.

I bought some CUC to replace those lost during the electrical event.  I got 6 blue legs (the 6th thrown in free), 3 ceriths, and I asked for 3 trochus, but I think the guy gave me nerites or something.  I also got Jacques IV.  And Leonardo III (emerald crab).  I really shouldn’t have, seeing as I have no lights at the moment, but they had a gorgeous blasto for $20 and a teensy little clove polyp for $10.  I think the guy gave me an extra something too, in rough shape.  Pipe organ maybe.   I also bought epoxy, Ocean Nutrition clam, and small grade PE mysis. 

I just got everything in the tank, and they seem to be doing well.  I accidentally broke the blasto into three pieces while trying to break off some excess skeleton, so I used it to fill in the gaps between the others.  They’re a really nice bluish greenish color, and small polyps.  Hopefully they open up tomorrow so I can get pics. 

I took a real good look at things tonight, and it looks like one of Frank’s heads might have an infection.  Whatever that damned white stuff that has been hitting lots of my LPS is.  I’m not 100% sure that’s it though, so I’ll be keeping a close eye.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

The cleaner shrimp is displaying really unusual behavior, and I'm kind of worried that he might not make it.  He seemed fine all through acclimation.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The free frag looks like a pretty pipe organ to me.  The blastos opened up nicely, but one of the pieces fell off so I'll need to remount it.  The cleaner shrimp is alive, but he's still acting weird.  I haven't seen him touch the rocks or sand yet.  He's perched up by the rim of my tank, either on the magfloat or thermometer,  sometimes upside down. 

Today I'm going to take Frank out, frag off any unhealthy heads, and give him an iodine dip.  Fingers crossed that'll fix the problem.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Today I did a 16l water change which didn't go very smoothly.  I decided to dip the hammer.  While trying to remove it from the rock, I knocked the rock off.  I decided to rescape the left side a little since it has always been really unstable.  It took forever, I don't really know what it looks like because it's dark, and it was just generally a really frustrating experience.  Not to mention I used most of the epoxy I bought yesterday.  I'm still considering getting rid of even more LPS.  I kind of want to give away the duncans.  I'm just tired of the tank stressing me out.

• Sad 1
41 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Today I did a 16l water change which didn't go very smoothly.  I decided to dip the hammer.  While trying to remove it from the rock, I knocked the rock off.  I decided to rescape the left side a little since it has always been really unstable.  It took forever, I don't really know what it looks like because it's dark, and it was just generally a really frustrating experience.  Not to mention I used most of the epoxy I bought yesterday.  I'm still considering getting rid of even more LPS.  I kind of want to give away the duncans.  I'm just tired of the tank stressing me out.

Ahh fishfreak, we all have experienced downward trends in our tanks.  Its really frustrating, especially when you are not sure what is wrong.  Usually if you hang in there, things will turn around.  I'm sorry that you are feeling stressed over it .

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Ahh fishfreak, we all have experienced downward trends in our tanks.  Its really frustrating, especially when you are not sure what is wrong.  Usually if you hang in there, things will turn around.  I'm sorry that you are feeling stressed over it .

Thanks vlangel :) Usually I enjoy the tank, but having no lights has been a source of constant stress.  If a new power supply doesn't get them working, I don't know what I'll do.  Seeing beautiful, healthy tanks like yours remind me why I'm doing this.  I want my tank to be happy and healthy again, I just need to keep going and be patient.

I think I like how the scape turned out.  I gave the blastos more room, and it isn't as bulky.  There is more light reaching the lowest rock, so it will no longer be an empty shadowed cave.  Seeing the change makes me want to redo the right side even more. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks vlangel :) Usually I enjoy the tank, but having no lights has been a source of constant stress.  If a new power supply doesn't get them working, I don't know what I'll do.  Seeing beautiful, healthy tanks like yours remind me why I'm doing this.  I want my tank to be happy and healthy again, I just need to keep going and be patient.

I think I like how the scape turned out.  I gave the blastos more room, and it isn't as bulky.  There is more light reaching the lowest rock, so it will no longer be an empty shadowed cave.  Seeing the change makes me want to redo the right side even more. 

Thats right, you did say that your lights were out, so you know what the problem is and why the corals are suffering, just not why the power supply won't work.  That really stinks.  How long has it been this way?  

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
10 hours ago, gogeta said:

Oh doesn't sound good! But making the tank as stress free as possible always sounds good

Less stress is always a plus. I want this tank to be as low maintenance as possible (think

it's 

pretty much there besides the recent troubles) so I can enjoy it and watch it grow. Also, I have numerous other freshwater tanks so more time to spend on them is always good. 

4 hours ago, vlangel said:

Thats right, you did say that your lights were out, so you know what the problem is and why the corals are suffering, just not why the power supply won't work.  That really stinks.  How long has it been this way?  

The lights have been out for 2 weeks now.  Things look best in the morning when sunlight hits the left side of the tank. The rest of the day the corals are about half open, things that are close to the glass fully open. I'm still shining the light from my freshwater planted in. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

At last, a photo dump.  In no particular order:

Might as well start off with some cuteness!

36756386214_742647edde_k.jpgP9301195 by orb1915, on Flickr

23614007668_0479ecdb7b_k.jpgP9301204 by orb1915, on Flickr

Here is the new left side scape.  Not a whole lot different, but a little bit

23614028798_6b17f2de07_k.jpgPA011232 by orb1915, on Flickr

This was the hair algae before the peroxide/vinegar soak.

37465592771_82a4ec4193_k.jpgimage1.jpeg by orb1915, on Flickr

I couldn't get a very good pic, but this sponge is growing in chamber 1.  It's pretty big, about 1" by 1.5"

23614028338_9af7e72e6a_k.jpgP9171143 by orb1915, on Flickr

The new CUC members.  Have yet to see the emerald, and I'm not sure of the cleaner shrimps status.   I'll be back there tomorrow and I'll take a real good look for them

37465592431_e90b321c3b_k.jpgP9301186 by orb1915, on Flickr

23614027748_ca5ca5798a_k.jpgP9301187 by orb1915, on Flickr

These are the snails I got when I asked for trochus

37465591901_845675cb85_k.jpgP9301188 by orb1915, on Flickr

The infection.  I ended up cutting and tossing any heads with barely any tissue.

37465591581_08f890e1df_k.jpgP9301190 by orb1915, on Flickr

Pipe organ

23614026428_677f12f1c8_k.jpgP9301198 by orb1915, on Flickr

Cloves

23614026028_7bd7c65757_k.jpgP9301200 by orb1915, on Flickr

A piece of the new blasto

37418252866_980decf3c3_k.jpgP9301201 by orb1915, on Flickr

There was this weird hole in the toadstool (where the discoloration was).  The loose stuff came out when I touched it, leaving a small hole.  I gave it an iodine dip

37465590311_39f3507a63_k.jpgPA011216 by orb1915, on Flickr

And my fish store pics:

Pretty wrasse

37465608331_f8d6266a78_b.jpgthumbnail_20170930_155932 by orb1915, on Flickr

A beautiful harlequin tusk.  I've got to say, appearance wise they're one of my favorite fish

36756404974_052f80938b_b.jpgthumbnail_20170930_131226 by orb1915, on Flickr

These two were so cute together!

37208196080_b9448ea244_b.jpgthumbnail_20170930_132019 by orb1915, on Flickr

There were pipefish

37465607971_ac397a02b7_b.jpgthumbnail_20170930_132057 by orb1915, on Flickr

37418261416_52a1f6d0ff_b.jpgthumbnail_20170930_132100 by orb1915, on Flickr

The four-way hitch :wub:

36756404874_5f6855c5ce_b.jpgthumbnail_20170930_132726 by orb1915, on Flickr

They also had a couple mantises at J&L

37465607511_dfc63bb657_b.jpgthumbnail_20170930_132826 by orb1915, on Flickr

This boxfish was TINY!  Just over an inch

37418261316_ffa210bd0c_b.jpgthumbnail_20170930_155644 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I'm happy to say that yesterday morning I sighted both Leonardo and Jacques!  And Jacques is no longer being a wierdo.  I also saw a limpet!!!!!!  I thought they had all died, but this little guy was chowing down on the glass :D

36844909644_fc8234e481_k.jpgPA051234 by orb1915, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure I'm going to enter the C.C. contest.  I find the idea of a pico pretty intimidating though, and the container I want to use is pretty small.  I'll probably just go for it, and if it fails miserably I'm not out that much money. 

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

This one piece of the clove seems to have jumped ship!

37301103560_b704ede57d_k.jpgPA061244 by orb1915, on Flickr

It's not the clearest pic, but here you can see some puffy blastos.  They're doing pretty well since they get a couple hours of sunlight

37511608166_028d542c9a_k.jpgPA061245 by orb1915, on Flickr

The toadstool fell against the powerhead, I hope the marks go away!

37301102900_b2e8619db7_k.jpgPA071256 by orb1915, on Flickr

I really like the pipe organ

37511607736_6b8923a780_k.jpgPA071258 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

If I ever have a big tank, I want one!

If you weren't far away I'd give you a 180g. I've been trying to give it away for a while. It's a bit loved but it does the job!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I'm happy to say that yesterday morning I sighted both Leonardo and Jacques!  And Jacques is no longer being a wierdo.  I also saw a limpet!!!!!!  I thought they had all died, but this little guy was chowing down on the glass :D

36844909644_fc8234e481_k.jpgPA051234 by orb1915, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure I'm going to enter the C.C. contest.  I find the idea of a pico pretty intimidating though, and the container I want to use is pretty small.  I'll probably just go for it, and if it fails miserably I'm not out that much money. 

Do it!!!  I think picos are more intimidating when you've come from bigger tanks, it just takes some mindset adjustment.  I'd try to find one with a lid to cut down on evap (or make a lid for it) so you don't have to worry so much if you can't top off for a day or two.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Do it!!!  I think picos are more intimidating when you've come from bigger tanks, it just takes some mindset adjustment.  I'd try to find one with a lid to cut down on evap (or make a lid for it) so you don't have to worry so much if you can't top off for a day or two.

I have an old bubblegum machine that I've wanted to convert into a freshwater shrimp tank for a long time, and I think I'm going to use it.  I estimate it to be half a gallon.  My biggest dilemma is heating it.  I think I'm going to enter, but I'm prepared to end up dropping out if the whole pico thing stresses me out too much.  And then I think, maybe I should just use a bigger container.  But I really want to use that gumball machine.  The struggle....

edit: I just realized that it's about half a liter, aka 0.1g.  I think I'll be looking for a different container!

• Wow 1
59 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I have an old bubblegum machine that I've wanted to convert into a freshwater shrimp tank for a long time, and I think I'm going to use it.  I estimate it to be half a gallon.  My biggest dilemma is heating it.  I think I'm going to enter, but I'm prepared to end up dropping out if the whole pico thing stresses me out too much.  And then I think, maybe I should just use a bigger container.  But I really want to use that gumball machine.  The struggle....

edit: I just realized that it's about half a liter, aka 0.1g.  I think I'll be looking for a different container!

Yeah that's pretty small!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah that's pretty small!

Yah, maybe I'll keep a pest snail in it or something lol.  Now that I made it watertight I really want something to be in it.  I'm trying to find a container, a coffee pot is an option.  I'd rather do something 1-2g though.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Yah, maybe I'll keep a pest snail in it or something lol.  Now that I made it watertight I really want something to be in it.  I'm trying to find a container, a coffee pot is an option.  I'd rather do something 1-2g though.

Big vase, apothecary jar, cookie jar like several of us have?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Big vase, apothecary jar, cookie jar like several of us have?

I think my plan B is an anchor hocking jar.  Or I have the odd vase around the house I could use.  I think I'm going to check the thrift store for a coffee maker as plan A.  I think I could deal with the small water volume, and I figure I could actually fit a heater in.