ReefCleaners.org

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

Well, couple brief updates.

The blasto hasn't gotten any worse, and I think it'll be alright :) I'm hoping the tissue recovers on the main polyp, it looks pretty sad.

I was looking at the baby plates, and one is more than an inch across now.  They must be nearly ready to start popping off, they're really crowding each other. 

Ive been thinking about adding additional fish, and I was planning on an orchid dottyback, but I don't want to risk Zeus becoming a $40 snack:unsure:. So, I've been looking into gobies.  Kyl posted on his thread that Fish Addicts in Langley (2hours ish away from me) might be able to get green banded gobies in.  So if they could get them in, that would be an option.  I also really like yellow watchman gobies, but if I got the goby, I know I'd want the pistol shrimp, and I don't want my sandbed corals to get buried.  I'm not sure how much digging they really do.  Then there's yellow clown gobies, which I think could coexist with Jim, and blue neon gobies.  So many options!

And I just flipped through my thread to find the TTM link waterdog posted, and in the process saw my many fish QT failures, and am now questioning whether I should get any more fish or not...everyone's doing so well and I worry about introducing something that'll hurt them all.

Also, wow!  I've posted a lot of angry, dejected rants!  I've got to work on that haha.  If anyone has goby suggestions, I'm all ears :) 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Well, couple brief updates.

The blasto hasn't gotten any worse, and I think it'll be alright :) I'm hoping the tissue recovers on the main polyp, it looks pretty sad.

I was looking at the baby plates, and one is more than an inch across now.  They must be nearly ready to start popping off, they're really crowding each other. 

Ive been thinking about adding additional fish, and I was planning on an orchid dottyback, but I don't want to risk Zeus becoming a $40 snack:unsure:. So, I've been looking into gobies.  Kyl posted on his thread that Fish Addicts in Langley (2hours ish away from me) might be able to get green banded gobies in.  So if they could get them in, that would be an option.  I also really like yellow watchman gobies, but if I got the goby, I know I'd want the pistol shrimp, and I don't want my sandbed corals to get buried.  I'm not sure how much digging they really do.  Then there's yellow clown gobies, which I think could coexist with Jim, and blue neon gobies.  So many options!

And I just flipped through my thread to find the TTM link waterdog posted, and in the process saw my many fish QT failures, and am now questioning whether I should get any more fish or not...everyone's doing so well and I worry about introducing something that'll hurt them all.

Also, wow!  I've posted a lot of angry, dejected rants!  I've got to work on that haha.  If anyone has goby suggestions, I'm all ears :) 

I :wub: GBG's!  I've got a special order in for one but the LFS has no idea when they might get one in so that's why I picked up Tallulah so I'd have fertilizer for all those macros lol.  Not the same LFS as I got her from though.

• Like 1

Me neither and I've gone saltwater shopping in two states lol.  Wish they were more common, they seem like such great little fish!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The watermelon favia is stinging its neighbor again <_< great...

to be dealt with tomorrow.  I was thinking maybe a small piece of plastic to block the sweeper tentacles?  Like at brandon429 mentioned on a thread at some point.  No sure how that would look, maybe if I glued zoas to it it would be not too noticable?

1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The watermelon favia is stinging its neighbor again <_< great...

to be dealt with tomorrow.  I was thinking maybe a small piece of plastic to block the sweeper tentacles?  Like at brandon429 mentioned on a thread at some point.  No sure how that would look, maybe if I glued zoas to it it would be not too noticable?

Worth a shot, right?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

So I just tested the tank, because I've never really done one right before a water change. I'll test after too to see how much the numbers change

phos. 0 -guess I'll stop using phosgaurd for a while

Ca 425 -not bad after 2 weeks consumption I think

alk 6.5 ish.  Maybe I effed up, the first time I got 6, the second time 7. Is that too low?  Everything seems happy.  I guess I'll have to see how much it jumps post-water change.  RSCP is supposed to mix up pretty high.  I hope I don't have to start dosing, I don't know how well it would work out, because I'm only at this house half the time.  I guess I could dose every couple days?  We'll see.  I hesitate to change anything with my tank care routine, because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :) 

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

After flipping through the thread, I thought it'd be fun to post the evolution of this tank.  So here's pictures from the last 27 months.

34926719894_4e3dca3060.jpgbc29 start_zpshdivuiez by orb1915, on Flickr

bc29%202_zpsatastipo.jpg

bc29%203_zpsmhsdl85e.jpg

bc29%204_zpsiydkat8w.jpg

bc29%205_zpsfradyelq.jpg

bc29%206_zpsivekymyo.jpg

bc29%207_zpsurfpjde9.jpg

bc29%208_zpsjjfwjjjv.jpg

bc29%209_zpsggz0vmud.jpg

bc29%2010_zpsedzdryq6.jpg

bc29%2011_zpslahkp13c.jpg

bc29%2012_zpswjiirin2.jpg

bc29%2013_zpsz3jlnkai.jpg

This morning I was telling my mom about mantis shrimp, and she said, "Could one go in a five gallon?"  I said I thought so if it was a smaller type, and she said she would consider letting me convert a fw tank to a salt for a mantis.  Just no additional tanks!  So the gears are turning, and I'm thinking if I can afford to convert a tank, if I even want another salt to maintain, and where would I even get a mantis shrimp? :rolleyes:

• Like 8
fishfreak0114

I just tested the water, and I'm surprised at how little the numbers changed.

Ca tested at 425 again, and alk tested a mere 7.7!  Now I'm kind of worried.  Because I'm not sure how dosing could work with me having an odd schedule, I was thinking, could I put the smallest amount of kalkwasser in my top off water? Like just enough to give a small boost?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Someone on a somewhat local fb group is heading to Vancouver to group buy Zoas and they just happen to be heading through Merritt on the way back. There's some nice ones at good prices...tempted.  

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Well I did it.  I've requested a head of utter chaos, 3 heads of blue hornet, and three heads of Yoda palys so we'll see if he can get them all.  That would total $65. 

• Like 5
fishfreak0114

Mind if I rant a minute about English?  *Skip to bottom for tank update*

My English teacher is a good person, but a HARD teacher.  And this coming from someone who usually breezes by.  She recently assigned us a project about poets. We could either make a 5 minute power point presentation, or a 5 page essay about a poet of our choice.  So I chose an essay about Mark Twain (I enjoy writing).

And great, the essay part went fine I guess, but we didn't have a lot of class time.  So I spent all Monday night writing.  And Tuesday night.  And my lunch hours, and breaks at school.  And then there were citations which had to be APA format.  And today, she said "hey, make sure you cite any pictures too". Because we needed a visual if we were doing an essay, I have around 30 pictures that I Had to go back and find for the video that I read my essay on.  That took hours.  And then, I had to record the essay, which also took hours.  So I've spent nearly all my free time this week on an essay for English that has absolutely no purpose.  I haven't learnt anything new about him in about 8 or 9 hours of work, so if I had stopped there, I would know just as much and have some time to relax.  I'm still not done, and I'm already up later than usual, but #### it.  I'll finish in the morning.  

Usually having a time consuming assignment wouldn't piss me off, but this has happened REPEATEDLY.  Doesn't she get that this is grade 10 English?  Doesn't she understand that people have 3 other classes assigning homework?  And that people have extracurricular activities, appointments, jobs?  And to think, I was happy to get her at the beginning of the semester...

***Ok so the tank is all running smooth, and I'm guessing alk has been dropping since the water change, but all the corals still look good.  The trumpet is healing well.  It has its feeders out a lot more on the sand, so I think it's happier down there :) 

I'm getting all 3 zoas/palys I wanted!  The guy doing the group by will be coming through Merritt on Friday.

I haven't seen Zeus in a couple days, but if you read the rant, you'll know I haven't had a lot of time to look.

• Like 2

Well dang, when you were describing it, I thought it was a college English class!  That seems just a tad overkill for high school...

Oh, and yay zoas!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I have this odd feeling most people aren't going to be finished the assignment on time...

I'm pretty excited to be getting the zoas, I've wanted all three for quite some time, but online, it would have cost like 3x as much!  And apparently this guy goes to Vancouver about 5x a year, so he said if I ever want anything just let him know.  

Wait, you're just a couple years older than my son and you've been doing stuff with this aquarium that adults far older than you can't pull off????

I was already impressed, but DANG Girl!!

Somehow I've been missing recent posts on here, sorry bout that. 

Tank continues to look great, and that Zoa Deal sounds really good, can't wait to see them when they come in!!!

Also, yeah, English Teacher sounds a bit much. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I have this odd feeling most people aren't going to be finished the assignment on time...

I'm pretty excited to be getting the zoas, I've wanted all three for quite some time, but online, it would have cost like 3x as much!  And apparently this guy goes to Vancouver about 5x a year, so he said if I ever want anything just let him know.  

That's great, your own personal zoa resource! :lol: I will not be surprised if most of your class is late lol. Since when does an essay require a video? Sheesh.

• Like 1

Wow, I just caught up, and the tank looks fantastic! I love the progress pictures, you have come a long way are you're doing great :bowdown:

You didn't mention what your nitrates are, but I would not worry about alk at 7.7 unless your nitrates are high. In general, lower nitrates means you're better off with lower alk. I keep all of my tanks between 7.5 and 8. Unless you start keeping lots of sps, or unless the corals start doing poorly, don't worry about chasing numbers.

As far as the english teacher goes, I agree it sounds like way too much work. But I will say that other than my computer science degree, the single most important thing I ever learned in school was how to write a really good essay, from my AP History class. That skill has directly resulted in multiple promotions over the years because I can write really well, and that translates into good presentation skills too. At the time, I thought it was a huge waste to spend all that time on the mechanics of essay writing because it didn't really help me learn anything about "history". But if I could find that teacher now I'd kiss her :lol:

• Like 4
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wait, you're just a couple years older than my son and you've been doing stuff with this aquarium that adults far older than you can't pull off????

I was already impressed, but DANG Girl!!

Somehow I've been missing recent posts on here, sorry bout that. 

Tank continues to look great, and that Zoa Deal sounds really good, can't wait to see them when they come in!!!

Also, yeah, English Teacher sounds a bit much. 

Thanks Weetie. That comment brings Derrick to mind :lol:

I'm pretty stoked about the Zoas. 

In happy news, I got a perfect mark on my essay/presentation!!!

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

That's great, your own personal zoa resource! :lol: I will not be surprised if most of your class is late lol. Since when does an essay require a video? Sheesh.

I'll probably get more Zoas if he goes down again, there were lots I wanted but money doesn't grow on  trees haha.  Me an my friend's presentations were so long that only one other person had time to present!

• Like 4
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, I just caught up, and the tank looks fantastic! I love the progress pictures, you have come a long way are you're doing great :bowdown:

You didn't mention what your nitrates are, but I would not worry about alk at 7.7 unless your nitrates are high. In general, lower nitrates means you're better off with lower alk. I keep all of my tanks between 7.5 and 8. Unless you start keeping lots of sps, or unless the corals start doing poorly, don't worry about chasing numbers.

As far as the english teacher goes, I agree it sounds like way too much work. But I will say that other than my computer science degree, the single most important thing I ever learned in school was how to write a really good essay, from my AP History class. That skill has directly resulted in multiple promotions over the years because I can write really well, and that translates into good presentation skills too. At the time, I thought it was a huge waste to spend all that time on the mechanics of essay writing because it didn't really help me learn anything about "history". But if I could find that teacher now I'd kiss her :lol:

Thanks teeny!  I was surprised to see how much the tank has changed, even just in recent months. 

I actually don't own a nitrate test kit. I've never once tested them in this tank. I keep telling myself I pick one up at some point but you know how that goes...:rolleyes:  I'm not too concerned about the numbers, but the fact that it dropped to 6.5 concerns me a little.  Perhaps I'll test tonight if I remember and see how much has been consumed since the water change. 

I enjoy essay writing, and the formatting and all that, and I think I'm pretty good at it too (the only mistakes she found was a missing comma, no hanging indent on the bibliography [the computer wouldn't cooperate] and one other little error). But I feel like making the presentation for  the essay wasted 4 hours of my life.  If we hadn't had to present it, I could've changed 10 pages into 15 and learn a lot more in the process.  I've gotta keep my English mark high, last year her final exam knocked my grade down a bit but oh well. However, this year marks go on our transcripts, so I'm trying to go into the exam with at least 98%. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I had a tough AP European History teacher too, but I learned a ton from her!

3 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks Weetie. That comment brings Derrick to mind :lol:

I'm pretty stoked about the Zoas. 

In happy news, I got a perfect mark on my essay/presentation!!!

I'll probably get more Zoas if he goes down again, there were lots I wanted but money doesn't grow on  trees haha.  Me an my friend's presentations were so long that only one other person had time to present!

:unsure::lol:

2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks teeny!  I was surprised to see how much the tank has changed, even just in recent months. 

I actually don't own a nitrate test kit. I've never once tested them in this tank. I keep telling myself I pick one up at some point but you know how that goes...:rolleyes:  I'm not too concerned about the numbers, but the fact that it dropped to 6.5 concerns me a little.  Perhaps I'll test tonight if I remember and see how much has been consumed since the water change. 

I enjoy essay writing, and the formatting and all that, and I think I'm pretty good at it too (the only mistakes she found was a missing comma, no hanging indent on the bibliography [the computer wouldn't cooperate] and one other little error). But I feel like making the presentation for  the essay wasted 4 hours of my life.  If we hadn't had to present it, I could've changed 10 pages into 15 and learn a lot more in the process.  I've gotta keep my English mark high, last year her final exam knocked my grade down a bit but oh well. However, this year marks go on our transcripts, so I'm trying to go into the exam with at least 98%. 

Presentations stink but essay writing and presenting skills are definitely valuable in many fields (not so much mine but being able to communicate clearly and concisely is still extremely important).  I actually took a speech class in college specifically to hone my public speaking skills (and because some programs I was looking at required it).  Congrats on your perfect score, you earned it!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I found Zeus!  He's alive and well (and adorable) :happy:

One of the baby plates was getting quite large, and since all the bigger ones are smooshing the little ones, I thought it was time to experiment with popping one off myself.  I used my little knife thingie from the dollar store, and wedged it at the base.  It came off pretty easy.  I have it tucked in a bottle cap in hopes it won't get lost.  I hope I didn't hurt it at all :unsure:

P6011297_zps1a6p3huj.jpg

I decided to use the macro mode on my camera after feeding tonight.

P6011290_zpsgafryprv.jpg

P6011285_zps4jznntwi.jpg

P6011283_zpsq3xvf79k.jpg

P6011280_zpsfgojfcic.jpg

P6011278_zpsad70fqxk.jpg

P6011277_zpsyzregyl8.jpg

P6011275_zpsespxlzcj.jpg

P6011291_zpsbeyyairr.jpg

P6011292_zpsrzo8sxea.jpg

Here's a real quick top down.

P6011271_zpsqffdsxtn.jpg

Not a great pic (he never sits still) but here's the betta I picked up at Total Pet the other day.  I still need to rehome my knight goby so I can move the bettas into a divided 10g, but Dumbledore seems pretty happy in the 1g for now.  He has been making a bubble nest.  Draco, my other betta, is also doing well in his vase.  I can't wait to have them in a better tank though.  This picture doesn't do Dumbledore's colors justice :wub:

P5281264_zpspao4cpjp.jpg

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I found Zeus!  He's alive and well (and adorable) :happy:

One of the baby plates was getting quite large, and since all the bigger ones are smooshing the little ones, I thought it was time to experiment with popping one off myself.  I used my little knife thingie from the dollar store, and wedged it at the base.  It came off pretty easy.  I have it tucked in a bottle cap in hopes it won't get lost.  I hope I didn't hurt it at all :unsure:

P6011297_zps1a6p3huj.jpg

I decided to use the macro mode on my camera after feeding tonight.

P6011290_zpsgafryprv.jpg

P6011285_zps4jznntwi.jpg

P6011283_zpsq3xvf79k.jpg

P6011280_zpsfgojfcic.jpg

P6011278_zpsad70fqxk.jpg

P6011277_zpsyzregyl8.jpg

P6011275_zpsespxlzcj.jpg

P6011291_zpsbeyyairr.jpg

P6011292_zpsrzo8sxea.jpg

Here's a real quick top down.

P6011271_zpsqffdsxtn.jpg

Not a great pic (he never sits still) but here's the betta I picked up at Total Pet the other day.  I still need to rehome my knight goby so I can move the bettas into a divided 10g, but Dumbledore seems pretty happy in the 1g for now.  He has been making a bubble nest.  Draco, my other betta, is also doing well in his vase.  I can't wait to have them in a better tank though.  This picture doesn't do Dumbledore's colors justice :wub:

P5281264_zpspao4cpjp.jpg

Dumbledore is gorgeous!  Is he a king betta?  I lost my little betta a couple weeks ago. RIP Bojangles :tears:

Hope your experiment with the plate works out!  And glad Zeus is ok too!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Dumbledore is gorgeous!  Is he a king betta?  I lost my little betta a couple weeks ago. RIP Bojangles :tears:

Hope your experiment with the plate works out!  And glad Zeus is ok too!

He's a plakat betta apparently.  Aww, sorry for your loss, I'm sure he's swimming in the Great Lake in the sky :grouphug:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

He's a plakat betta apparently.  Aww, sorry for your loss, I'm sure he's swimming in the Great Lake in the sky :grouphug:

And probably doing his wriggly little dance anytime he senses another presence or food! :lol:

• Like 2