Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

For over a year, I've been telling myself "I'll download my phone pictures this weekend" but I always forget! Zeus and Polka Dot are cute together, and Zeus actually came out yesterday! :wub: Until then, I could only see his claws and whiskers hanging down. 

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Well in no particular order...PICS!!!  Lots of pics...

Ninja turtles!  I find zoa names so funny, like really?! Ninja turtles?!  I got a polyp in my boxing day order amidst another type, loved it, and knew I had to nab them with this order.

P5041150_zpsco5csi6j.jpg

Pineapple express! 

P5041151_zpsptdmuwc1.jpg

The baby plates are growing well, the largest being about an inch across.  I can see their little skeletons inside!

P5041152_zpsgoiojyjz.jpg

P5041154_zpszx7jjumu.jpg

Here's a real quick FTS from the other evening. 

P5041155_zpstriz6smt.jpg

The lobo is still doing well, and I think it's flesh is staring to un-recede

P5041158_zpsdwioy8wy.jpg

I had to move the Japanese leather because it started attacking the trumpet next to it.  Also, the toadstool is getting heavy and now flops as seen here.  I need to move a leather that is totally blocked underneath it now.

P5041159_zps3b5ksziy.jpg

Gorgeous red blasto

P5041149_zpscded6sbd.jpg

And this purple-y blasto

P5041148_zpsxdxfybv1.jpg

One of my freebies 

P5041147_zpsm7s8jkju.jpg

Zeus!!

P5041146_zpssf7jvjwe.jpg

Every one in a while I find a teeny tiny snail like this guy, which leads me to believe the ceriths are still breeding, there's just few survivors.  This one was around 2mm

P5041145_zpsmcqr02y7.jpg

Freebie #2

P5041144_zpsonbbwsbu.jpg

Vulcan blood and rastas!  These are going to get a very nice spot on the zoa rock I think...

P5041143_zps0b1a0zy0.jpg

Tonga blue bulls eye mushroom

P5041142_zps3lzdid3d.jpg

Tonga frilly mushroom that I couldn't pass up because it looks neat

P5041141_zpst7zkzebn.jpg

The porcelain crab is still doing well

P5041139_zpshkxfecjq.jpg

Here's Zeus and Polka dot sharing their cave

P4301138_zpsyg6jzsfj.jpg

The other night I cranked the blues and whoa!  The picture can't do the fluorescence justice

P4301135_zpsdnqih39c.jpg

And here's a couple pics I took after Sunday's water change  I love how sparkly white the sand is!

P4301133_zpstawuw7ub.jpg

P4301130_zpsci04nqpx.jpg

I moved the red macro that I've had forever to a place I can enjoy it.  Previously I had a blasto there, but I couldn't see it

P4301123_zpscmkjbinp.jpg

The damage to the trumpet

P4301121_zpsoplxiagb.jpg

Beetlejuice.  He still lives in the shell my friend brought me back from her vacation

P4301120_zpsyb4ga0ml.jpg

P4301119_zpsgi5kzr6e.jpg

P4301118u_zpsfktqfonr.jpg

P4301116_zpscygghpq1.jpg

This is the blasto that was in the shadows. 

P4301115_zpsxuug6yvr.jpg

P4301113_zpsl0dhulgp.jpg

Once in a while (usually after waterchanges) the watermelon favia goes nuts!  Thankfully, it can't reach much

P4301118_zpsizcnljhh.jpg

• Like 4
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, Astinus said:

All I can say is 2 words.... WOW  and Nice!  *Correction, 3 words.  VERY Nice :wub:

Thanks Astinus! :) 

2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Everything looks really great.  I love those red blastos!  

Thank you!  I really love how bright red one is!

4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Those blastos! :wub: Especially the purple-y ones!  Where did they come from again?

I got them from fragbox.com. I really like the purple-Y ones because of the color, and it's pretty massive. Like the size of my green ones!

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
28 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Everything looks so good.  What a nice selection of marine life you have chosen!

Thank you vlangel!  This tank, being my first, was set up with no particular goal, other than keeping things alive.  So it's just a jumble of all the coral I like that I've come across. I have so many ideas rolling around in my head for future tanks with a particular goals.  I need more tanks!

I meant to ask you guys about this when I posted the photos.  Anyone know what is in the middle of the ratsas/Vulcan bloods? And should I glue it when the glue arrives?  I tried to repost the pic here, but photobucket won't cooperate <_<

• Like 1
Weetabix7
45 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thank you vlangel!  This tank, being my first, was set up with no particular goal, other than keeping things alive.  So it's just a jumble of all the coral I like that I've come across. I have so many ideas rolling around in my head for future tanks with a particular goals.  I need more tanks!

I meant to ask you guys about this when I posted the photos.  Anyone know what is in the middle of the ratsas/Vulcan bloods? And should I glue it when the glue arrives?  I tried to repost the pic here, but photobucket won't cooperate <_<

Just looks like some single kind of polyp to me, maybe some kind of Clove Polyp?

Everything looks SO beautiful, lotsa pretty new stuff!!!

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

<_<

There is nothing wrong with 'just a jumble of corals that you like'.  The fact is that YOU are the one who has found places in your tank that they are so happily abiding and YOU are the one who is providing what they need to thrive.  And kudos to YOU for being able to do that!

There is also nothing wrong with having lots of ideas in your head for future tanks as long as you don't create so much work for yourself that its no longer fun.  I for one will look forward to any future tanks you do!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Just looks like some single kind of polyp to me, maybe some kind of Clove Polyp?

Everything looks SO beautiful, lotsa pretty new stuff!!!

oh that's good, I was worried it might be a really miniature aiptasia or something.  And thanks!  I can't wait to start gluing things down, the glue is supposed to arrive on the 10th!

1 hour ago, vlangel said:

There is nothing wrong with 'just a jumble of corals that you like'.  The fact is that YOU are the one who has found places in your tank that they are so happily abiding and YOU are the one who is providing what they need to thrive.  And kudos to YOU for being able to do that!

There is also nothing wrong with having lots of ideas in your head for future tanks as long as you don't create so much work for yourself that its no longer fun.  I for one will look forward to any future tanks you do!

Thanks vlangel, I think I'll always need a tank like this one that I can just chuck anything into (except SPS haha).  I expect I won't be able to keep more than one salty tank until after university, except maybe a bowl!  I seriously don't know what I'm going to do when I move out.  Maybe my mom will want 7 tanks to tank sit for a long time?  A couple tanks that at some point in my life I'd love to try are:

A big but shallow tank (probably would have to be custom) with a clownfish harem and BTAs

A Mr.Aqua 12g long set up with coral separated by color so its like a rainbow

A macro tank

Oh and I'd love a mantis/pest tank.  Honestly, I just want to try as many things as possible, on both the salty and fresh sides.  I would love freshwater stingrays!  Yeesh, I better pick a career that can fund this all!

• Like 4

That's why I named my little tank the "whatever I want to put in it" tank haha.  Even with the little problems I've had and the awful tank crash in March, it makes me happy. Happy happy happy! :lol:

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

The glue came early!  I glued up all the coral yesterday, will be keeping a close eye on them today, and I'll try to get an FTS!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Ok so a little later than I'd intended, but I kept pissing everything off while working in the tank, and I took the pics on the weekend, but haven't had time until now to post 'em up!  Well, yesterday I was about half done, and I accidentally deleted it :( Lots of stuff has been shuffled around, as you'll see.

FTS!  The big leather at the back left was angry, shedding I think.  It is back to normal now.

P5141259_zpsdrrhbzej.jpg

P5141251_zps6idyg7xr.jpg

P5141249_zpsauv40shh.jpg

P5141262_zps74fu1ucl.jpg

It almost looks like it's getting closer to a split?

P5141263_zpslbk67ubt.jpg

I moved the gorgonians, because I realized they've been getting stung!  The watermelon favia has a further reach than I realized.  Both are showing more polyp extension already :) 

P5141248_zps8egqntih.jpg

P5141246_zpsslx0imht.jpg

I can't believe how big the RFA had gotten, it must be four inches across at least!

P5141242_zpssnpvlntk.jpg

P5141241_zpsq8vkbaog.jpg
P5141236_zps2xb1uptz.jpg

P5141234_zpsaatuesfm.jpg

The colt coral has been at the back, I may give it away.

P5141232_zps9owogrgr.jpg

P5141231_zpsjpjvnje2.jpg

P5141230_zpsigbgvpac.jpg

P5141229_zpsw7pggbxq.jpg

The clowns both have a few black spots each.  I wonder what they were rubbing up against, because I've never seen them in a coral before.

P5141227_zpsfql0grxb.jpg

P5141225_zpsjdhm6l0w.jpg

I ended up gluing the halymenia.

P5141223_zpsqunuwtjn.jpg

I don`t know what I will do when Frank gets too big.  I fragged him once before, but he was a lot smalller then.

P5141222_zpsxwcofafr.jpg

P5141214_zpsdznex92r.jpg

P5141211_zpsl4aqysk9.jpg

P5141210_zpstgsxqyel.jpg

P5141209_zpszw5hduyk.jpg

P5141207_zpsaxxqacge.jpg

The grape caulerpa seems to be rooting well in the sand

P5141206_zps4tiw24ro.jpg

The trumpet was seemingly bleaching out of nowhere (I did raise the lights a tiny bit, but everything else is fine) so I put it on the sand

P5141205_zpsi7jpxcv4.jpg

Real estate is limited on zoa island. 

P5141204_zpsobp4a2ds.jpg

P5141199_zpsqcrbvtds.jpg

P5141196_zpsizxn2juq.jpg

P5141194_zpsvzgjfm2u.jpg

P5141193_zpsgcu9sgch.jpg

P5141190_zpsvqqxk7ym.jpg

P5141189_zpspuopntoi.jpg

P5141188_zpsteokjd7t.jpg

P5131166_zpsjj7vimhi.jpg

And the highlights of my week thus far:

The taekwondo instructor is gone, which leaves me and two others teaching.  For warm up, we played noodle tag, where the person who is it has to hit someone with a pool noodle.  One girl got it, yelled I`m gonna get the black belt! and chased me in circles :lol:

And today, I got to spend the afternoon watching the drama 11 and 12 production of Murder in the Heir.  There was some improv at the end, more specifically, You burned me, you little bitch! :lol: That was very unexpected.

• Like 4
fishfreak0114
16 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Great pics!  Those blastos! :wub: What are the zoa/palys with the shimmery faces?

Thank you Lula!  Those are the Pineapple Express.  They look kind of dull from a distance, but up close they're purdy :wub:

10 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thank you Lula!  Those are the Pineapple Express.  They look kind of dull from a distance, but up close they're purdy :wub:

They're really neat looking!  Looking forward to eventually having some sparkle-faced zoas!  Could call them Edward Cullen... :lol:

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I was looking at the tank today, and decided to make a couple quick changes.  I placed the trumpet that started bleaching near the top of the tank that has been on the sand for the past week recovering on a low section of rock.  I'm not sure if I'll leave it there, because it looks a bit odd, but maybe it will grow on me.  I also moved two mushies that have been sitting on the sand to the acan area.  And the Japanese leather traded places with a little pink leather that was behind it because as it has grown, it completely blocked my view of the pink one.  I still can't figure out where to put the green toadstool.  It seems very happy on the sand.  Twice, I've moved it to the top, but it really really doesn't like that.  I guess the sand is where it shall stay until I find a nonexistent space for it somewhere other than where I've tried.

I also fed the tank frozen today, and I'm happy to announce that the baby plates have grown large enough to eat small grade PE mysis!  Most of them, anyways.  I'm sill just waiting for the day when one pops off...

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Well, no happy news today :( the trumpet fell off the rock and landed touching the lobo.  It wasn't annihilated, but one part is missing flesh.  I think it'll heal.  What I'm really not happy about, is that my red and green blasto that I've had the longest is missing most of the flesh on the largest polyp!  I'm kind of at a loss.  I did move it on Sunday, just a tiny bit down so it wasn't being blocked by the blasto above it.  My best guess is that it got injured in the process.  I'm going to see what it looks like in the morning.  I can't tell if the damage just occurred, happened Sunday, or if it's getting worse because I haven't been here since Sunday.  I'm hoping its condition in the morning will give some insight to whether or not I need to intervene.

15 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Well, no happy news today :( the trumpet fell off the rock and landed touching the lobo.  It wasn't annihilated, but one part is missing flesh.  I think it'll heal.  What I'm really not happy about, is that my red and green blasto that I've had the longest is missing most of the flesh on the largest polyp!  I'm kind of at a loss.  I did move it on Sunday, just a tiny bit down so it wasn't being blocked by the blasto above it.  My best guess is that it got injured in the process.  I'm going to see what it looks like in the morning.  I can't tell if the damage just occurred, happened Sunday, or if it's getting worse because I haven't been here since Sunday.  I'm hoping its condition in the morning will give some insight to whether or not I need to intervene.

Could something have munched on it?  I had about four polyps left in my little blastos after the crash and woke up one morning and they were ALL gone.  I still think Shelby was the culprit, even though I've never heard of pom poms being coral eaters.  Of course, I'd never heard of them being violent either...

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

The only invert whose habits I'm not terribly familiar with the blue coral banded's, but Zeus doesn't come out during the day so I don't know if he goes near that coral or if he picks at it.  I'm thinking maybe I accidentally smooshed the side of it that damaged when re-gluing  without noticing?  At this point, I'm mostly worried about its recovery, I'm going to keep a close eye for further damage and do an iodine dip if nessecary.

18 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The only invert whose habits I'm not terribly familiar with the blue coral banded's, but Zeus doesn't come out during the day so I don't know if he goes near that coral or if he picks at it.  I'm thinking maybe I accidentally smooshed the side of it that damaged when re-gluing  without noticing?  At this point, I'm mostly worried about its recovery, I'm going to keep a close eye for further damage and do an iodine dip if nessecary.

Blue coral bandeds are supposed to be much less aggressive.  Sounds like you've got a plan, hope the blasto recovers!  I :wub: mine.

• Like 1