Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

did u solve your heat problems? do u have a light on the back for the macro? how are u liking ur skimmer?

My heatissues havent gotten better or worse. It seems to staya stable81 82, but everything is happy so im just leaving it for now. I dont have a light for the macro, my tankis infront of a window and it seems toget enough light. I may add a light to speed up growth eventually. The skimmer wasnt working right, nlt high enough above the waterline soi took it out and I intend to mod the airline so it's longer.

what's u.s. for?

I really have no clue how that u.s. got there. Maybe some auto correct typo?

• Like 1

I hate when autocorrect does that stuff. But I'm glad autocorrect is there to make me look like I actually spell and use punctuation properly to an extent lol

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Ewwwww! I got a new frag of zoas (colony?). Of 30-40 polyps. I dipped it after acclimating and almost had aanic attack/throw up from disgust at what came off. Two creepy spider like things came off. They were like zoa spiders but larger and their legs were longer and thinner. Ideas? Also off came pods, miscellaneous things that moved and an asterina. The only thing I was terrified of was the spidery things though. I wouldn't touch the frag after that. I wore gloves to put them in the tank. They seem to be pest free now though, I was really thorough, using the end of a skewer to brush away anything that looked suspicious. I also got 2 nassarious. The lady at the pet store tried to grab to huge Mexican turbos to give to me off the glass, but I kindly pointed out that nassarious we're found in the sand. She found the right ones after that. She also looked for nerites in the sand. I was a little confused. All in all, I'm happy with what I got, I'm just hoping I got all the parasites off. I hope to get a QT in the future.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

They don't look anything like what my mini brittles do though. They had joints in their legs. And they stood and could move around with it. Also, I don't think that they ever stopped twitching, and I could see them flexing there legs reflexively. Here are my new zoas, the store labeled them as assorted zoa frag. Anybody know the name? It's the lower frag. I've also noticed today that I have pods and coraline is beginning to grow.

It won't upload another photo, weird. I'll try again later with daylights on.

post-87248-0-60736100-1429461351_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It was a sea spider, possibly a type of zoa spider. Try not to get over grossed by animals like that as they are likely going to be encountered at some point in your aquarium hobby. Here is some fear proofing you may need, I put it in the spoiler button in case you dont want to see it, also if/ when you click it don't be mad its for your own good and you will thank me eventually

post-84861-0-92788100-1429484929_thumb.jpgpost-84861-0-06454700-1429484980_thumb.jpgpost-84861-0-29226300-1429485068_thumb.jpgpost-84861-0-12842800-1429485102_thumb.jpgpost-84861-0-51673500-1429485221_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

Ugh those things are creepy (well most of them lol). I sure hope nothing like that ever comes near me. All though the bristle worms are freaky, they had a massive one at the pet store, but mine are still tiny.

• Like 2

Ugh those things are creepy (well most of them lol). I sure hope nothing like that ever comes near me. All though the bristle worms are freaky, they had a massive one at the pet store, but mine are still tiny.

my big worm pinky is almost 4 inches long, and eats from tweezers lol. Don't worry your baby bristles will grow lol.
  • Like 1

Ewwwww! I got a new frag of zoas (colony?). Of 30-40 polyps. I dipped it after acclimating and almost had aanic attack/throw up from disgust at what came off. Two creepy spider like things came off. They were like zoa spiders but larger and their legs were longer and thinner. Ideas? Also off came pods, miscellaneous things that moved and an asterina. The only thing I was terrified of was the spidery things though. I wouldn't touch the frag after that. I wore gloves to put them in the tank. They seem to be pest free now though, I was really thorough, using the end of a skewer to brush away anything that looked suspicious. I also got 2 nassarious. The lady at the pet store tried to grab to huge Mexican turbos to give to me off the glass, but I kindly pointed out that nassarious we're found in the sand. She found the right ones after that. She also looked for nerites in the sand. I was a little confused. All in all, I'm happy with what I got, I'm just hoping I got all the parasites off. I hope to get a QT in the future.

Wait a second! Spider things can come off of things? That sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.

fishfreak0114

Wait a second! Spider things can come off of things? That sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.

I know I'm a bit of a wimp, I don't enjoy being near things like that. A small price of bubble algae came in on the frag too, I see that my emerald crab ate it ?
  • Like 1

I know I'm a bit of a wimp, I don't enjoy being near things like that. A small price of bubble algae came in on the frag too, I see that my emerald crab ate it

I'd keep on the watch for more baby ZOA spiders, the youngins are very small and difficult to find I hear. Keep in mind for future reference there are many species of sea spider, many aren't coral killers but the coral killers will usually arrive on their preferred host so if you buy live rock and have spiders there they more likely will be reef safe. If on the other hand they are on corals think of them as arthropod versions of nudibranchs.
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I'm heading. To kamloops soon to pick up a cleaner shrimp and hopefully another piece of coral.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

I'm having some possible coral trouble. My gsp has been closed up for several days and it appears that some whitish mold stuff has grown between the polyps. That's what it looks like anyways. Also, it has grown about 2 square cm since closing. normal? Please help!

• Like 1

The polyps have grown and the slime has spread. Is it normal for them to close for this long?

not normal, they could need more flow, that could be a good thing to try. The longer they are closed the less happy outcomes can in many cases become more likely.
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

Thing is, mine had really good flow. They would wave back and forth like crazy and were happy for the first 2 months or so.