Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

Why would it be bad to get more than one? Is it because if one was sick the others would catch it too? My mom knows how to use the medication if something gets sick, she's been keeping fish for over 10 years (freshwater). But she knows how to treat tanks and do water changes. Plus I can still text her and FaceTime so I can physically see the fish. The only reason I really want to get more than one fish is because I may not even get down to vancouver again this year and she won't drive in the winter so it could be another 9 or 10 months before I would have a chance to go to a pet store that actually the types of fish I'm looking for.

• Like 1

Ah, I see. With that in mind there isn't anything wrong with getting a couple fish :)

I was thinking along the lines of how some fish have subtle illness signs like rapid breathing or rubbing body on objects. But since your mom has plenty of experience with fish, and there is plenty of communication methods, all is well.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Glad to hear that it's ok, I've barely been able to make it through the week before new livestock, I couldn't imagine that for the next 10 months. If I get more than one fish should I have my mom do a water change midway through my absence or will it be fine until I get back?

• Like 1

A water change isn't as important as the chemichal filtration with new fish so I don't think the water change is necessary, unless you are already overdue for a water change.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

No, I'm not overdue for a water change. Yesterday, I got some new live stock. I kind of got more coral than I intended lol couldn't resist. I will post pics later. They only had a green clown goby so I got that, it's impossible to find in the QT lol I'll see if I can get a photo when I feed later. He's kind of skinny, but he was their last one so I'll Half to fatten him up. He is eating though so that's good. The pets stores were fantastic! There was lots of things I had ever seen before (both fresh and salt). In the end I got the green clown goby, some nice red macro a guy gave me for free, a duncan frag, a small plate coral, a pagoda cup, a tiny emerald crab, a tiny purple porcelain crab, and a really small tuxedo urchin, around the size of a quarter(I'll feed it if I need to, but I think I have enough algae, especially on the back wall).

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun trip, can't wait for some pics ©_©. Make sure he isn't getting slimmer despite the feeding because that is usually parasites internally. If that's the case you may need to get some antiparasitic drugs for him.

Hope urchin doesn't decide to have some, macro salad, instead :)

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Well, we only have a few things, but I think they treat a variety of stuff. We have ick treatment containing malachite green and nitrofurazone. A bacterial Treatment with tetracycline hydrochloride (treats fin and tail rot, bacterial gill disease, hemorrhagic septicemia, open red sores, body slime and eye clouds) and seachem paragaurd. Any recommendations for meds that would be good for marine fish that I can look for next time I go to a pet store?

• Like 1

Tetracycline is an awesome broad spectrum antibacterial, great one to have.

You might want to get some deworming medicines, fenbendazole, and praziquantel (kinda expensive) are considered fish safe, they have actually a few brands of fish deworming fish foods, but I'm not quite sure what any of your pet stores are selling med wise. Worst comes to worst you can use the dog dewormers on fish, just be sure to dose appropriately.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Pics! :D

Tuxedo urchin and duncan frag

image_zpsnkfk7sps.jpg

Green clown goby

image_zpskvb8pppe.jpg

Plate coral

image_zpsxppwjdun.jpg

Urchin

image_zpsowqofkrn.jpg

Pagoda cup

image_zpsvu47rpos.jpg

The red macro". Anyone got an ID?

image_zpsriqkk3ko.jpg

Purple porcelain crab

image_zps04jur0gr.jpg

The pagoda cup, epoxied to a piece of rubble to make removal from the aquarium easier if need be

image_zpsbnlrigad.jpg

The duncan, still adjusting to its new position

image_zpssz0c1qkg.jpg

I'll put an overall tank shot once the pagoda is mounted in the rocks.

• Like 1

Awesome corals, they seem pretty healthy :)

Lol that "green" clown goby doesn't have too much green on him lol, he ain't living up to his name.

I do love sea urchins a ton, I also like to see the creepy alien looking tube feet they got, pretty cool animals.

• Like 1

I'm sadly unable to identify your algae with my current knowledge. I do know though the there will be hundreds of algaes I could mistake it for because of the vast amount of red macroalgae species. Sorry I can't help.

Pagoda cup needs moderate lighting, and it is pretty high in the tank, keep an eye for any of the signs of being "over lighted".

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

No problem, it doesn't really matter what it is. I'll keep a close eye on it. I hope that spot is ok because it's pretty much the only spot it sat comfortably.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Sadly, my Urchin didn't make it ?. My mom (taking care of the tank while I'm gone) told me that one day it was moving around eating algae, spines not falling out or anything, totally fine and the next afternoon she found it dead, and eaten. It was next to my serpent star but I'm guessing it didn't kill it. I will probably get another one in the future.

On a happier note, everything else is doing fine, including the pagoda and the clown goby is eating.

HarryPotter

Sadly, my Urchin didn't make it . My mom (taking care of the tank while I'm gone) told me that one day it was moving around eating algae, spines not falling out or anything, totally fine and the next afternoon she found it dead, and eaten. It was next to my serpent star but I'm guessing it didn't kill it. I will probably get another one in the future.

On a happier note, everything else is doing fine, including the pagoda and the clown goby is eating.

Aww that stinks :(

Has the Duncan coral opened more? The last FTS they weren't very extended and I was concerned given that it looked to be newly fragged

• Like 2

That's weird, sorry for the death. Maybe the urchin had a virus and was sick when you got it, I think there's been reports of echinoderm sicknesses in pacific waters recently, not saying yours had that specific disease.

Is the goby putting weight on? Glad the pagoda cup is happy

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Yah the Duncan was fully opened by the next morning, it was just pissed off because I kept moving it around to find a permanent spot.

I really don't know whether it has or not, I have a good photo of it the morning after u got it so I'll compare when I get home on Monday. I sure hope it is.

Here's a pic of the Duncan the morning I left. It was like 5:30 when I took the pic so I was using a flash light haha

image_zpsr3lim6gn.jpg

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Looks healthy... Great.

Bummer about the Tuxedo Urchin. I was looking at getting one ordered from the LFS after seeing MWhiteLock's and Moms2many's, but I need to look into the disease amphipod mentioned.

• Like 2

Looks healthy... Great.

Bummer about the Tuxedo Urchin. I was looking at getting one ordered from the LFS after seeing MWhiteLock's and Moms2many's, but I need to look into the disease amphipod mentioned.

there was that sea star wasting disease, but infected urchins usually lost spines when they were dying, which makes me doubt that specific pathogen.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150401-urchins-sea-stars-monterey-bay-california-animals/

Duncan seems pretty happy, I like the slightly violet color.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Ok, so I have a couple issues right now. I literally got home half an hour ago and now I'm freaking out. My mom old me that the the urchin (before it died) was seen next to the serpent star. The urchin is now dead and the serpent star is losing the ends of its legs. Could they have hurt each other? The oth problem is that my plate coral seems to be bleaching, but only around the mouth. I know it does not have too much light, it's on the very bottom. What's wrong with it? I'll post pics tomorrow.

That isn't good at all, I think it's a diseased thats echinoderm specific, possibly every echinoderm in your care will die, sorry how this is working out. Neither animal is particularly aggressive so I highly doubt injury. Be sure to quarantine all new livestock when an aquarium is established.

Bleaching is always bad, and a lot of things can cause it to happen

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Good thing I only had two echinoderms. I still have hope for Steve the serpent star though, just the tips of two arms broke, and I know they can regenerate. If he doesn't make it I'll replace him though. I now think that it is actually tissue recession around the mouth, I don't know why but it has been deflated since I got it too. Maybe I just got unlucky and bought one that wasn't very healthy. If it dies is there any chance it will have babies?

Urchin test

image_zpsracd97g0.jpg

Plate coral, can I do anything to help it? I tried feeding it but i don't think it actually ate it.

image_zpsnul3guyd.jpg

The two small bits of Steve's legs

image_zpsop7brvma.jpg

Keep an eye if any more of Steve's arms break, if any more comes off, maybe you can try and save Steve by becoming his surgeon, and preform an amputation.

There is some potential for a dying plate to send off offspring, but don't count on it. This coral is got some problems, it can't actually eat because its mouthless. So feeding unfortunately can't help it any, if the cause of recession/ necrosis can be stopped it might grow a new mouth, actually it would probably grow several new mouths if it can recover. Worst case scenario, a contagious virus or bacteria is killing the plate coral.

• Like 1