Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

More frags were damaged. I now have them up in a makeshift frag rack. They seem to be fine up there. I saw some cyano today. I panicked and buried it in sand. Smart or dumb?

fishfreak0114

There's no way the crab could get up there. They're safe for now. I have to move my gsp up there because they're being eaten too! :(

There's no way the crab could get up there. They're safe for now. I have to move my gsp up there because they're being eaten too! :(

lesson to be learned dont trust crabs with sessile invertebrates, you're going to have to isolate crabby so you can have any corals growing on your rocks.

Also I've heard lobsters can be worse than crabs, which I will totally agree with since the similar crayfish is super destructive in freshwater setups.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Oh my gosh I don't think it's the crab. I got macro off some guy and it started to have small white dots, like dust appearing. I thought it was just debris but I was wrong. There's small white bug things on my glass! I think they're the coral eaters! I don't know what to do! Please help!

I'm tossing the macro ASAP!

fishfreak0114

I didn't toss the macro in the end. I dipped it in really weak solution, nothing came off so I put it back. The little white ones are about 1mm or less by 1/4 to an 1/8 mm wide. The larger clear one that came off the gsp was about 3mm by one mm wide. I haven't seen any swim freely. The larger one I believe is an isopod. I can't count legs, but the large one appeared to have a fuzzy frill like many many legs or something, plus what looked like a tail.

• Like 1

I didn't toss the macro in the end. I dipped it in really weak solution, nothing came off so I put it back. The little white ones are about 1mm or less by 1/4 to an 1/8 mm wide. The larger clear one that came off the gsp was about 3mm by one mm wide. I haven't seen any swim freely. The larger one I believe is an isopod. I can't count legs, but the large one appeared to have a fuzzy frill like many many legs or something, plus what looked like a tail.

sounds kinda like the isopods, are they gathering on the corals injuries?
  • Like 1

During the period that my tank was 1-3 months old, there were tons of different bugs and critters swimming and crawling around in my tank. I even saw what looked like a little jellyfish floating around pulsing in my tank at night for about a week and then it disappeared. None of them ever seemed to bother my corals. I also had had tons of the bugs you're describing and they eventually all disappeared. If you shine a blue or red flashlight onto the rocks at night you will see lots of thing!

• Like 2

During the period that my tank was 1-3 months old, there were tons of different bugs and critters swimming and crawling around in my tank. I even saw what looked like a little jellyfish floating around pulsing in my tank at night for about a week and then it disappeared. None of them ever seemed to bother my corals. I also had had tons of the bugs you're describing and they eventually all disappeared. If you shine a blue or red flashlight onto the rocks at night you will see lots of thing!

so true lol, I see hordes of copepods when I look at night, I see occasionally others, our tanks can be so loaded with life we never normally see its hilarious
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
fishfreak0114

I think they were copepods. I'm pretty sure it was just the one isopod. The cyano is way worse now. Gotta treat with chemiclean.

• Like 1

Cyanobacteria are funny organisms, they stay hidden often but at the slightest nutrient release they can grow so quickly its unbelievable, and they are so resilient (then again anything living in pre-edicaran times had to be quite powerful) some snails and starfish I hear devour cyanobacterial mats

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Cyanobacteria are funny organisms, they stay hidden often but at the slightest nutrient release they can grow so quickly its unbelievable, and they are so resilient (then again anything living in pre-edicaran times had to be quite powerful) some snails and starfish I hear devour cyanobacterial mats

Really? What type of snail? I've heard that scarlet hermits sometimes eat it but I think I would need way to many to clear up the problem.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Well idid a water change today and rub some off, now there is barely any left. I stirred the sand too. There is still a fair bit of algae though. Updated FTS. I moved the two corals down again. The zoas opened right away. I counted polyps and there was 13. Yay it grew! :D

post-87248-0-09078100-1428542705_thumb.jpg

post-87248-0-76421000-1428542750_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've read trochus are very good at it.

my banded trochus go to town. Didn't notice until I started seeing a few small patches pop up!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

That's good to a hear. I noticed when I got up today that an area of cyano had gone missing. It was pretty much one long strand. Hopefully they chow down. I'm hoping to get a tailspot blenny next, a few more corals, and more CUC. is my tank to new for an urchin? I have a lot of algae.

• Like 1

That's good to a hear. I noticed when I got up today that an area of cyano had gone missing. It was pretty much one long strand. Hopefully they chow down. I'm hoping to get a tailspot blenny next, a few more corals, and more CUC. is my tank to new for an urchin? I have a lot of algae.

there doesn't seem to be too much algae in my opinion now, but if you want an urchin I recommend you get a small one.

Well idid a water change today and rub some off, now there is barely any left. I stirred the sand too. There is still a fair bit of algae though. Updated FTS. I moved the two corals down again. The zoas opened right away. I counted polyps and there was 13. Yay it grew! :D

keep a sharp eye on these corals, you don't want them having issues
  • Like 1
fishfreak0114

I just noticed tons of these tiny snails on everything. Good or bad? They appear to eat algae. Sorry for the blurry pic. If they are bad, I have no way to eradicate them anyways.

post-87248-0-73104000-1429147773_thumb.jpg

• Like 2