SaltCritters.com

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, Suavereefer32 said:

Awesome tank!  What are your settings for your lights?  I have the Nanobox retro as well and just wanted someone else's input on how high their run their lights at.  Sorry if you have already answered this question at some point in the thread already. 

Thanks!  Currently it's running at the levels below.  Every once in a while (I usually remember every couple months lol) I bump them up by 2%

Morning

length 270 min

ramp 60 min

Blue, royal blue, cyan 31%

lime, white, violet 31%

Midday

ramp 90 min

Blue, royal blue, cyan 33%

lime, white, violet 50%

Evening

length 180 min

ramp 90 min

Blue, royal blue, cyan 36%

lime, white, violet 26%

I like my lights fairly white because it seems natural and reminds me of how it looked snorkeling in Hawaii

• Like 1
Suavereefer32
10 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks!  Currently it's running at the levels below.  Every once in a while (I usually remember every couple months lol) I bump them up by 2%

Morning

length 270 min

ramp 60 min

Blue, royal blue, cyan 31%

lime, white, violet 31%

Midday

ramp 90 min

Blue, royal blue, cyan 33%

lime, white, violet 50%

Evening

length 180 min

ramp 90 min

Blue, royal blue, cyan 36%

lime, white, violet 26%

I like my lights fairly white because it seems natural and reminds me of how it looked snorkeling in Hawaii

See I love that. You like your settings more white because of your snorkeling experience. That's awesome and something to be admired. I like mine more blue because the colors pop more but I think your reasoning makes your aquarium experience more "authentic". Kudos to you.

Thanks for the reply!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Once in a while when I'm bored I turn white to 0% and blue to 100% and wow does that look crazy!  I do like to look at it like that once in a while because it looks unreal (especially the GSP) and it's fun to see what pops and what doesn't as much. 

Do you have a build thread for your tank?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

So this happened...

image_zps0mlggxfr.jpeg

Went to Kelowna today and they had this little guy at Pet City.  I've wanted one since reading the one stop shrimp guide here on NR, and as I've never seen one except for this one, I figured I ought to snag it.  He's in the tank, but not sure where.  By the time I finished acclimating the lights had gone out.  I hope he does good :) 

I also got some algae.  @Weetabix7 know what the red stuff is?  It's very slimy.  I couldn't figure out how to attach it, so it's covered in tulle and rubber banded to a rock.  Also, anyone know where that green stuff would do best?  I tucked it in the sand for now because I couldn't really see what I was doing.

image_zpsnz5r9izh.jpeg

The stuff I ordered will be arriving on Wednesday!  Have to pick it up in Kamloops.  It should be a nice pick-me-up, the last 8 weeks have been rough with such an increase in anxiety that I no longer want to really go anywhere because I'm almost guaranteed to be anxious.  If anyone has any tips for calming oneself when panicking, I'd love to hear them.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

So this happened...

image_zps0mlggxfr.jpeg

Went to Kelowna today and they had this little guy at Pet City.  I've wanted one since reading the one stop shrimp guide here on NR, and as I've never seen one except for this one, I figured I ought to snag it.  He's in the tank, but not sure where.  By the time I finished acclimating the lights had gone out.  I hope he does good :) 

I also got some algae.  @Weetabix7 know what the red stuff is?  It's very slimy.  I couldn't figure out how to attach it, so it's covered in tulle and rubber banded to a rock.  Also, anyone know where that green stuff would do best?  I tucked it in the sand for now because I couldn't really see what I was doing.

image_zpsnz5r9izh.jpeg

The stuff I ordered will be arriving on Wednesday!  Have to pick it up in Kamloops.  It should be a nice pick-me-up, the last 8 weeks have been rough with such an increase in anxiety that I no longer want to really go anywhere because I'm almost guaranteed to be anxious.  If anyone has any tips for calming oneself when panicking, I'd love to hear them.

A blue coral banded shrimp?  He's so cute!  Not sure what the red macro is, the green looks like maybe grape caulerpa (C. rasemosa I believe?).  Can be prolific so I'd stick it where it's easy to pull out when you need to thin it lol.

I don't have any tips dealing with anxiety (when I'm anxious, I take a couple of deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling very slowly, which calms me down, but I do not have frequent anxiety issues) but I am sorry you're dealing with it as I know it can be quite debilitating.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

So this happened...

image_zps0mlggxfr.jpeg

image_zpsnz5r9izh.jpeg

Cool new stuff!!!

That Macroalgae that you asked about I believe is a type of Halymenia. 

I may have also seen it called Dragon's Tongue (not Dragon's Breath). 

You're right, it's very slippery and gelatinous, but if given the right conditions it also grows really well and is attractive.

Here's what I've done that works well:

Use some fishing line to attach the base of it to some rock,

Place it in an area where it will be flowing in moderate to strong current. 

It really likes that and will grow rapidly given those conditions. 

If it grows too much, it's easy to use scissors or a razor to snip some off and sell or trade it, it's really pretty. 

Lula is right about the Caulerpa.

It's pretty and is great for nutrient uptake but will grow rapidly, so put it in a spot where it's easier to keep it from taking over and control it's growth. 

Basically, treat it like Xenia or GSP. 

(both of which I actually like, lol)

As for the anxiety, there's a really simple breathing technique you can try.

Do this:

Breathe in through nose for slow, steady count of 4 (1,2,3,4)

Hold breath for count of 4

Breathe out through mouth for count of 4

Repeat steps as long as needed.

Anxiety can be purely physically based, happening as a result of imbalances in blood or brain chemistry (my husband has experienced this, we corrected it), 

It can result from traumatic experiences (as in PTSD, councilling needed, this is NOT a weakness), 

it can result from reactionary thinking that stems from unhealthy thought patterns that eventually produce a physical response (my husband has experienced this, he still works on it).

It can also be a combo of the above. 

• Like 4
fishfreak0114
11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

A blue coral banded shrimp?  He's so cute!  Not sure what the red macro is, the green looks like maybe grape caulerpa (C. rasemosa I believe?).  Can be prolific so I'd stick it where it's easy to pull out when you need to thin it lol.

I don't have any tips dealing with anxiety (when I'm anxious, I take a couple of deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling very slowly, which calms me down, but I do not have frequent anxiety issues) but I am sorry you're dealing with it as I know it can be quite debilitating.

The blue CBS is pretty cute.  He's tiny, only and inch and a half or so :wub: Thanks for the ID, sounds like the sandbed is a good place for the caulerpa then, I know the other caulerpa I have needs to be thinned quite often.

Deep breathing is always a good go to for me.

4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Cool new stuff!!!

That Macroalgae that you asked about I believe is a type of Halymenia. 

I may have also seen it called Dragon's Tongue (not Dragon's Breath). 

You're right, it's very slippery and gelatinous, but if given the right conditions it also grows really well and is attractive.

Here's what I've done that works well:

Use some fishing line to attach the base of it to some rock,

Place it in an area where it will be flowing in moderate to strong current. 

It really likes that and will grow rapidly given those conditions. 

If it grows too much, it's easy to use scissors or a razor to snip some off and sell or trade it, it's really pretty. 

Lula is right about the Caulerpa.

It's pretty and is great for nutrient uptake but will grow rapidly, so put it in a spot where it's easier to keep it from taking over and control it's growth. 

Basically, treat it like Xenia or GSP. 

(both of which I actually like, lol)

As for the anxiety, there's a really simple breathing technique you can try.

Do this:

Breathe in through nose for slow, steady count of 4 (1,2,3,4)

Breathe out through mouth for count of 4

Repeat steps as long as needed.

Anxiety can be purely physically based, happening as a result of imbalances in blood or brain chemistry (my husband has experienced this, we corrected it), 

It can result from traumatic experiences (as in PTSD, councilling needed, this is NOT a weakness), 

it can result from reactionary thinking that stems from unhealthy thought patterns that eventually produce a physical response (my husband has experienced this, he still works on it).

It can also be a combo of the above. 

Thanks for the ID!  It sure is pretty, I hope it attaches to the rock quick.  At first I tried to use just a rubber band, but that broke it in half, so I used tulle and loose rubber bands.  Right now it's at the back of the tank until it latches on.  With the fishing line, do you poke it through the macro?  Like sewing?

Thanks for the breathing technique, I'll give that a try next time I feel anxious.  I think the counting will help distract me from what I'm feeling too.  I'm certainly not doctor, but if I had to guess, I'd say mine stems from thought patterns and imbalances.  Because I often think my way into a state of anxiousness/panic, but sometimes I'll just be at home watching TV and it's like whoa I feel really, really on edge out of nowhere.  Like I can't even stay sitting, I need to get up and pace around.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

The blue CBS is pretty cute.  He's tiny, only and inch and a half or so :wub: Thanks for the ID, sounds like the sandbed is a good place for the caulerpa then, I know the other caulerpa I have needs to be thinned quite often.

Deep breathing is always a good go to for me.

Thanks for the ID!  It sure is pretty, I hope it attaches to the rock quick.  At first I tried to use just a rubber band, but that broke it in half, so I used tulle and loose rubber bands.  Right now it's at the back of the tank until it latches on.  With the fishing line, do you poke it through the macro?  Like sewing?

Thanks for the breathing technique, I'll give that a try next time I feel anxious.  I think the counting will help distract me from what I'm feeling too.  I'm certainly not doctor, but if I had to guess, I'd say mine stems from thought patterns and imbalances.  Because I often think my way into a state of anxiousness/panic, but sometimes I'll just be at home watching TV and it's like whoa I feel really, really on edge out of nowhere.  Like I can't even stay sitting, I need to get up and pace around.

Hate to tell you this, but it won't attach on it's own, it doesn't do that. 

I didn't poke fishing line through the plant, I just wrapped it around a spot at the base and tied it onto a rock. 

The fishing line is clear so you can't really see it unless you need to. 

Or you could also try supergluing it. 

I haven't tried that, but logically it should work.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hate to tell you this, but it won't attach on it's own, it doesn't do that. 

I didn't poke fishing line through the plant, I just wrapped it around a spot at the base and tied it onto a rock. 

The fishing line is clear so you can't really see it unless you need to. 

Or you could also try supergluing it. 

I haven't tried that, but logically it should work.

Oh ok, that's too bad.  At the store, they said it had just grown out of nowhere on their overflow so I thought maybe it would adhere itself.  I'll use fishing line during the water change today :) 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Forgot to attach the macro with fishing line today <_< I won't have another chance until Wednesday, but I'll be busy dealing with my stuff.  So probably Thursday.  I keep noticing things I want move around but I'm out of glue and only have a nub of epoxy! I just ordered some more, I hope it gets here quickly.

fishfreak0114

I've been meaning to update the first post for a long time, and just did :) I think I got all my livestock but not totally sure.  It's crazy seeing how much is really crammed in there!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Forgot to attach the macro with fishing line today <_< I won't have another chance until Wednesday, but I'll be busy dealing with my stuff.  So probably Thursday.  I keep noticing things I want move around but I'm out of glue and only have a nub of epoxy! I just ordered some more, I hope it gets here quickly.

Haha I feel your pain, I want to start gluing stuff down but can't find my superglue and epoxy.  Hopefully will get a chance to go to town in the next day or so and at least get superglue!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
6 hours ago, vlangel said:

Nice macro algaes, fishfreak.

Thanks!  I'm hoping to get more at some point, I usually just ask for a piece whenever I see something new at a store. 

3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha I feel your pain, I want to start gluing stuff down but can't find my superglue and epoxy.  Hopefully will get a chance to go to town in the next day or so and at least get superglue!

I've been meaning to order some more for quite a while, my last tube of glue broke open on my hand :blink: That was not fun to get off!

Weetabix7
3 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks!  I'm hoping to get more at some point, I usually just ask for a piece whenever I see something new at a store. 

I've been meaning to order some more for quite a while, my last tube of glue broke open on my hand :blink: That was not fun to get off!

Yikes!!

I superglued my lips together once accidentally while fragging. :P

Luckily not too severely. 

Just fragged and superglued some polyps new, felt good to get back to doing it.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Yikes, I bet not haha! 

5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yikes!!

I superglued my lips together once accidentally while fragging. :P

Luckily not too severely. 

Just fragged and superglued some polyps new, felt good to get back to doing it.

:lol:

I bet it did feel good!  Gettin back in the game!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I'll be leaving in a few to pick up my stuff in Kamloops!  I'll try to get some phone pics up later :happydance:

fishfreak0114

Lights out and too late for pics, I'm gonna go to bed.  The stuff looks really good though! :) I am, as always, impressed with fragbox's shipping.  I had ordered a wysiwyg single polyp of Pineapple Express (it was cheapest) and received a frag with closer to 10 polyps!  And two freebie zoas!!!  Lots of odd stuff came off in the dip, but I don't think anything was harmful.  When things open tomorrow I'll take some pics.  Unfortunately, I don't have enough room on my phone to take pics, so I'll have to delete some, or find my camera cord which has been elusive for some time. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I can't wait to see them when I get home!  I'm really liking blastos, after this order I have 5. I wonder how many other types/colors there are to collect. 

Hey FishFreak :)  Weety (Weetabix) has a Good understanding of the Anxiety and gave ya a good tip on breathing.

I have PTSD (Iraqi Freedom Vet, 2003) My Avatar is me with some Kids in Tikrit.

Another Breathing technique I was taught was 7 - 11.  Inhale slowly thru nose for 7 and exhale thru mouth slowly for 11.

I totally get ya with the sudden and unexpected nerves.  Jitters...gotta get up and move.

I don't know if this may help, but, when this happens, go and take a short walk.  Listen to some relaxing music.

There is another relaxation technique...Basically ur gonna tighten each muscle, 1 at a time, starting at ur toes

Hold for 10 secs, relax, tighten ur calf muscles for 10 and relax, keep going thru each muscle.

All in the mean time, try and visualize urself on a cloud floating softly.  I Visualize myself on a Tropical Island 

with a nice soft sandy beach with the ocean (Water) not to far away and the waves just lapping.

It Works for me!  I do wish ya luck with ur Anxiety.  If U can, u might want to seek a Psychiatrist

and get an anti-anxiety medicine as a *PRN*  A PRN is a Med that u only use when u need it.

Think of it like taking a Medicine like Aspirin or Tylenol for a Headache.  Try and stay away from

The Benzos (Benzodiazapams) Like Xanax, Valium.  There are others, I just can't think of them right now.

I Really wish ya well on this hideous journey with an Anxiety issue.

Ur Corals and Shrimp are looking Great!  Weetabix was a great source of help for me when I got my Macroalgaes.

They do help the tank with color.  I Also like to look at my tank with Blue lights!  Damn, those colors can "POP"!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Thank you for the tips! :) That muscle one sounds interesting, I think I've read about it before. I actually did end up visiting a counsellor earlier this week I hopes of learning more things to try. I'm not sure whether it's because I got a little hope again after going, or the technique she gave me just works really well, but I've had a pretty good week.  She told me to list 5 things I see, 5 I hear, 5 I smell an then 4, 3 and so on. I find that hard, so instead whenever I start feeling anxious, I list as many objects in the room as I can and it seems to work really well.  Except the other day in physics I forgot to do it in my head. My friend thought I was crazy...

I really like macros. I wish there was a place up here in Canada that sold a bunch. 

I have a bunch of tank pics to post tonight!  Also, I've decided to name the CBS Zeus!  I was kind of worried that despite their supposedly better compatability with critters than the big ones that he would be mean, but him and Polka Dot share the cave together a lot of the time!  Practically on top of one another!

• Like 3

I am forever having to delete pics off my phone so I can take more lol.  New stuff looks nice!  Bet the cave-sharing critters look cute!

• Like 2