SaltCritters.com

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114

I transferred the fish at 8:29pm. Both are looking really good!  This transfer went a lot smoother now that I remember how to do it all and keep organized. 

And tonight i saw Polka Dot the fire shrimp for the first time!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Transfer was done last night at 8:05pm.  The fish look great!  They seem more active now.  The next transfer is on Thursday, and on sunday they will go into the 10g QT!

• Like 5
  • 11 months later...
fishfreak0114

Wow, did I ever drop off the face of the earth! Life got busy with grad, and I spent the better part of the last year off at university. I’m home now, and hoping to get more involved with my tank again. The corals have done ok, not growing fast without any target feeding, but growing nonetheless. 

In sad news, Queen Bee passed away of seemingly natural causes a couple months ago. I was pretty heartbroken, mostly for Spot’s sake since he seems lost without her. I’m planning to pick up a juvenile clown for him when the pandemic is over, as well as a few more decorative inverts and maybe even coral.  I haven’t added anything new in ages, so it’s just been a slow decline for the clean up crew numbers and everything else

The tank is still run with a very hands-off approach and hardy corals, and it seems to be ok as is. 

I saw the donut coral reaching out for some food tonight, so I just had to give it some grub!

8F52CCE5-FAD2-4AD4-B759-B028F063AAD7.jpeg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Here’s the first FTS in nearly a year. Not thriving like it used to be, but I intend to change that over the summer :tongueout:

900F8151-70F4-4325-B9C9-A156B8691C99.jpeg

It still looks good 😊

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
fishfreak0114

Long time no update! I think this is the new normal haha.

Quick FTS to prove that there is still life, featuring the newest additions- two Bangaii cardinals! They just got out of quarantine a couple days ago. Soon to come, a new clownfish friend for Spot. 

5B58731C-B824-41B1-95F8-B2E1DC2A0664.jpeg

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

At last, photos! I finally got Spot a cute little boyfriend. They seem to be getting along well so far, the new guy has been shown whose boss and seems ok with it. 

The Bangaii cardinals disappeared into thin air. I’m so confused. There were no indications of ill health and they seemed to have adjusted well. It seems like any new fish I add quickly perish, while the old timers live on eternally. Has anyone else had a similar experience?  I’m crossing my fingers, toes, and elbows that the new clownfish does ok!

Anyways, I got excited when I came home to my tank after a couple weeks away and decided to take some pics! I also took some video, but I’m not sure how to upload it here so it will go on my insta

EB57A17D-75EE-497F-94D2-316AEB452766.jpeg

4AC664A2-1C78-4CA8-A1AA-49E06854CE70.jpeg

AFA9F08C-176C-465F-AB69-89B6432FF0AE.jpeg

4A16F96B-E172-4C9E-9E08-3994EA457518.jpeg

916024A1-BE46-40D5-AF9E-F338AF03D666.jpeg

450BE412-140A-459D-A609-BBD511B3BF33.jpeg

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

At last, photos! I finally got Spot a cute little

boyfriend. They sent o be getting along well so far, the new guy has been shown whose boss and seems ok with it. 

The Bangaii cardinals disappeared into thin air. I’m so confused. There were no indications of ill health, they seemed to have adjusted well. It seems like any new fish I add quickly perish, while the old timers live on eternally. Has anyone else had a similar experience?  I’m crossing my fingers, toes, and elbows that the new clownfish does ok!

Anyways, I got excited when I came home to my tank after a couple weeks away and decided to take some pics! I also took some video, but I’m not sure how to upload it here so it will go on my insta

EB57A17D-75EE-497F-94D2-316AEB452766.jpeg

4AC664A2-1C78-4CA8-A1AA-49E06854CE70.jpeg

AFA9F08C-176C-465F-AB69-89B6432FF0AE.jpeg

4A16F96B-E172-4C9E-9E08-3994EA457518.jpeg

916024A1-BE46-40D5-AF9E-F338AF03D666.jpeg

450BE412-140A-459D-A609-BBD511B3BF33.jpeg

Corals look good.  I like that the crab is waving in that pic 😄

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Corals look good.  I like that the crab is waving in that pic 😄

Thank you! With the covid world I’ll likely be living at home this whole year, and hopefully I can give the tank lots of love!

• Like 1

It's taken some time, but at last I've settled on a name for the new clown! Also, if any Canucks are reading this, I got him from Canada Corals. They breed them in house, and he arrived healthy as can be! Last night, as I was tossing and turning in bed, the image of Draco Malfoy's white-blonde hair popped into my head. So Draco he shall be!

Draco eats like a pig, which is good because Spot finally has competition for food. I seriously worry he'll explode some days, he eats and eats and eats.

• Like 1

Everyone I’ve talked to absolutely hates online lectures. Me?  I love doing water changes while learning about bio! It’s honestly been so productive and all my fish are living the high life. 

F610D040-B7E0-4ECA-A6BD-4EBB238A28C4.jpeg

• Like 1

This isn't terribly exciting, but I've just hatched my first round of brine shrimp! I bought a pop bottle adaptor kit off of amazon, and much to my amazement, it actually worked! I definitely didn't do things right. 

First, I put about a litre of water and a tablespoon of whatever salt we had in the cupboard. The water temp was the same as the room, about 20. The bubbler was too high, so a ton of eggs were getting stuck to the sides. Turned it down. No light.

After the first 24 hours, I realized what I was doing wouldn't work. Insert desk lamp. Six hours later I added a heater.

This morning, I still saw no signs of hatching. I thought perhaps it wasn't salty enough, so half asleep I walked to the kitchen, grabbed the salt grinder, and added some of Costco's finest pink Himalayan salt. This evening, I went to check one last time before calling it quits. Lo and behold, hatched brine shrimp! They're so tiny, I honestly have no idea when they hatched. Probably a while ago and I just didn't see them. Tomorrow I'll enrich them and feed them to all my fish!

Brine shrimp are...tiny....

So small, in fact, that none of the fish in any of my tanks cared that they were there. So, new plan. I need to grow them out in a bucket to a size big enough for my fish.

• Haha 2