Innovative Marine Aquariums

20 Gallon Starter

righttirefire

righttirefire

I was pretty excited... headed to the LFS. They had a Duncan colony which was going to drop a head... a single head frag was going to come home with me!

20150523_165804_zpsd8gegx7y.jpg

What do think? My Duncan was sold yesterday... the colony has been there for months and was finally able to be fragged. So I'm starting my acan collection

HarryPotter

I was pretty excited... headed to the LFS. They had a Duncan colony which was going to drop a head... a single head frag was going to come home with me!

20150523_165804_zpsd8gegx7y.jpg

What do think? My Duncan was sold yesterday... the colony has been there for months and was finally able to be fragged. So I'm starting my acan collection

Pretty! No picture of the single Duncan head? :lol:

I may get some acans, although I've never had them before. The LFS has a ton of $9.99 frags w. 2-3 heads. Is this a fair price for a generic acan?

righttirefire

... better tan I paid... my LFS is more proud of some things than others. I paid $30... it's growing 3 additional heads.

The Duncan sold so I settled for acans. Lol

20150523_175901_zpsmbnqgbc5.jpg

Oh the difference a couple hours make... it's almost lights out

righttirefire

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on an ATO. I'm about 3 weeks from a 7 day vacation! First week long vacation in 3 years.. it'll be 2 days of travelling and 5 days with my dad in the terrible part of California. It'll be nice having that much time with him. But I'm nervous about leaving my reef... next few weeks will just be water changes. Everything is stable and I'm not concerned, but 7 days of evap. Would dry out my pump sump chamber

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on an ATO. I'm about 3 weeks from a 7 day vacation! First week long vacation in 3 years.. it'll be 2 days of travelling and 5 days with my dad in the terrible part of California. It'll be nice having that much time with him. But I'm nervous about leaving my reef... next few weeks will just be water changes. Everything is stable and I'm not concerned, but 7 days of evap. Would dry out my pump sump chamber

Congratulations! You'll love it- really reduced the day to day maintenance. I hope you got the Tunze Osmulator!

I bought one a week ago, before my 4 day trip. Worked like a charm :)

righttirefire

Congratulations! You'll love it- really reduced the day to day maintenance. I hope you got the Tunze Osmulator!

I bought one a week ago, before my 4 day trip. Worked like a charm :)

Sure did! The nano

righttirefire

The ato has been tested. And partly installed. The Rea sea algae control test kit might as well be in latin, but their video made it simple. I think my thick skull just couldn't process what they wanted me to do. Nitrates 0ppm. Phosphates 0.08ppm. Little high. I know

• Like 1
righttirefire

Look who decided to be seen today... I see this little terror maybe once a month... and only ever one leg. It's gone now but here's proof!

20150530_103930_zpsmcbavovi.jpg

HarryPotter

How you liking the Nano Osmulator? Awesome, no?

What size top off are you using? A 5g would probably be great for you- last over a week (maybe two!)

righttirefire

It's not hooked up yet. I tested it and partly installed it. I use less that 1 gallon a week so I was going to use a 2 gallon pail. But mostly as a vacation insurance

righttirefire

FT 052515

20150525_121917_zpstzya7qdz.jpg

I leave for 7 day next Thursday... DOA, I'm rescaping upon my return any suggestions? This is what my display currently has. I have an additional 13# in the sump mostly about softball sized. Any suggestions?

20150525_121917_zpsrmk7typx.png

• Like 1

FT 052515

20150525_121917_zpstzya7qdz.jpg

I leave for 7 day next Thursday... DOA, I'm rescaping upon my return any suggestions? This is what my display currently has. I have an additional 13# in the sump mostly about softball sized. Any suggestions?

20150525_121917_zpsrmk7typx.png

Id put something behind dark blue rock bridge to make the tank look more 3d and less "i made a bridge across these rocks"

I like the sand hill by the lime green.

Also I hate frag plugs (personal preference) and I would move the green centered coral to the nook in between the blue and red sticking out to the left.

Id also try taking the smaller dark green bridge down and putting the rock where the far left green frag is. I think it would look cool and everything would be getting bigger going from left to right and like a bridge then a gap.

It's not hooked up yet. I tested it and partly installed it. I use less that 1 gallon a week so I was going to use a 2 gallon pail. But mostly as a vacation insurance

Wow, only a gallon a week? I go through a gallon a day! I have a 10g as my ATO reservoir though I still haven't figured out exactly which pump I want to use so I am running without an ATO at the moment which is really annoying.

I like the Tunze, but I'll probably end up with a DIY solution because it's cheaper and I already have some of the parts from a previous build.

I will say though that having an ATO is sooooo nice. I'm like you in that I haven't taken a longer vacation in a few years but when I do I'm really glad to not have to rely on someone else for something as critical as top off.

I would also suggest that you get a battery operated air pump and hang that off the tank with an airstone dropped in the water. If the power goes out it will kick on and provide oxygenation and a little bit of water movement. An added piece of insurance for trips - because that's when the shiz always hits the fan! You can buy them at sporting goods stores as a livewell aerator or many LFS also carry them.

righttirefire

Fishl, frag plugs are temp u til the bubble tip settles in. The purple rock is under the blue... I guess I better get a top view. The teal rock is in the front of the purple rock. With the orange rock bridging from the teal rock onto the the blue rock which is on top of the purple rock. Lol...

righttirefire

So... it all comes down to this... t-minus 60 minutes! I've been closely monitoring everything seems happy. 7 days no intervention! I'll be leaving my tank, no check in. The lights are on timers. The ato is full to the brim. And the ac is set to run 4 hours a day. Everything has been fed. Just lock the door, start the car, and drive into the night! See ya'll in a week!

• Like 1
righttirefire

Everything survived! About 1 gallon of top off water used. I came home to one Astra snail upside down, but I think it'll survive. More algae than I expected. But cleaning tomorrow and adjust the light cycle

20150618_202708_zps4d5n9kde.jpg

righttirefire

Still in the process of correcting my light cycle. I prefer cleaning with lights out. It helps me cope with the irrational fear of waking up in a strange place. Poor fish they don't realize it's abuse.

20150619_103504_zpsfs9shjdz.jpg

I had to relocate the anemone in hopes it'll move so I can clean it's rock, but it hasn't finished it's dinner

20150619_102958_zpsqg4hcoqg.jpg

Maybe that krill was too big.

I cleaned 4 rocks, 1 got peroxide again... what a disaster zone.

20150619_103148_zpszof7br46.jpg

I was hoping the phosphates would be getting absorbed. It tested at 0.04ppm. But with that much growth the algae was eating most of it.