SaltCritters.com

Why did MY poor damsel die?????

JSinger884

I have had a 30 gallon tank now for a few weeks with two damsels and 30 lbs of fiji live rock. The ammonia is down to zero and the nitrite is almost at zero, how did one of my fish survive the most stressful part of the cycle and then die???

Also, my other damsel has a bit of a frayed fin from the dead damsel (when it was alive it was aggressive), what can I do about the damage?

Thanks,

Jeff

BustytheSnowMaam

There are so many variable possible here that it's hard to say. It is best to wait about 2 months after adding the LR/LS before adding fish. The tank actually goes thru several "cycles" during this time and it's very stressful for the fish.

In a small tank, damsels should be kept singly. It's possible that the stress of defending its territory combined with the stress of the cycling tank overwhelmed the poor fish.

That's my guess...sorry you lost the fish. Hopefully damsel #2 will be ok. The frayed fin should heal on its own, hopefully.

Tasha

7 months ago I posted about my mysterious damsel death. I blamed it on the 7 inch bristleworm in my 3 gallon. (I know, I had a fish in a 3 gallon. Lesson learned). After talking to some people on the internet, I discovered that there ARE reports of large aggressive bristleworms. Someone on this board even said they saw one holding onto a live fish. Both my worm, and that guy's was sort of shiny like a centipede and had thicker "spikes" instead of hairy-looking bristles.

How big is your worm? X) your BRISTLE worm! what does it look like?

Archived