SaltCritters.com

Tax at Fosters and smith.

aviator300

Drs Foster and Smith has received thousands of dollars in business from me over the last few years in salt water and freshwater before that but our mutual relationship stops now.

I was ready to place a sizable order and discovered that I was being charged almost 10% sales tax which must be the result of F+S being bought out by Petco which has stores in AZ.

Never again will i purchase from them but rather give my business to MD or BRS or even make bigger purchases locally from now on. I refuse to give my money to the government any more than i must.

Boy, i hope BRS and MD don't get bought out by "Petdumb"

• Like 1
HecticDialectics

So you're no longer shopping there because they comply with state tax laws?

Maybe move to a state with lower taxes...

Here's a list of states to not live in... If you actually believe what you say.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512
Arizona Illinois Massachusetts North Carolina Virginia California Indiana Minnesota North Dakota Washington Connecticut Kansas Nevada Pennsylvania West Virginia Florida Kentucky New Jersey Tennessee Wisconsin Georgia Maryland New York Texas

• Like 2

Because they are now owned by petco they must charge sales tax to any ship to zip code where they also have an operation in that state by law.

I don't understand the 10% though it should be the sales tax rate in your state. Unless that is your rate.

So if there is a petco in your state, you will be charged sales tax on DRS orders. This applies to any company who is the seller. Which most don't understand when shopping on say Amazon.

• Like 1

No, i'm no longer shopping there because i can now make purchases cheaper elsewhere but thanks for the list it's very interesting.

As a buyer, you are supposed to report out of state purchases to your state and pay the taxes you would have if you had bought it in-state.

Ya know.. just so ya know.

http://www.salestaxinstitute.com/Sales_Tax_FAQs/out_of_state_retailer_collect_sales_tax#faq-08

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Here's a list of states to not live in... If you actually believe what you say.

Only because Amazon has warehouses in those states. It's not an overall state law to tax all Internet purchases as explained above.

The other places are not properly following AZ law...

Yes they are.

• Like 2
HecticDialectics

Only because Amazon has warehouses in those states. It's not an overall state law to tax all Internet purchases as explained above.

Yes they are.

Omg you're a tax cheat too! Wait til all of the state attorneys general have their way!

Srsly tho, I guess if I lived in some Soviet Republic with 10% tax ID probably feel the need to make a grandiose post shunning amazon or dfs too

:lol: gotta agree with HD on this one

You are supposed to report ALL of your online purchases and pay your "fair share" in taxes (at least that's the law in IL), it's called "use tax"

• Like 2

:lol: gotta agree with HD on this one

You are supposed to report ALL of your online purchases and pay your "fair share" in taxes (at least that's the law in IL), it's called "use tax"

Who does this? I mean, really? I can't imagine the paperwork involved. I am not that organized! No way I could put my hands on data that showed how much sales tax I didn't pay during the year. Do people just make up a number?

• Like 1

Who does this? I mean, really? I can't imagine the paperwork involved. I am not that organized! No way I could put my hands on data that showed how much sales tax I didn't pay during the year. Do people just make up a number?

that'll be a good story to tell the auditor :)

SucKS but that's lifE. What doesn't make sense to me is why my tax is almost 10 percent when nj sales tax is 7 percent. when I order from amazon the tax rate is right.

no one does this.

• Like 1

Omg you're a tax cheat too!

How so?

We only have to charge sales tax to WI ship to zip codes.

SucKS but that's lifE. What doesn't make sense to me is why my tax is almost 10 percent when nj sales tax is 7 percent. when I order from amazon the tax rate is right.

Their system is ####ed up. I would contact them if you placed an order and have them adjust. They are supposed to charge local sales tax to your ship to zip code. Not some general sales tax to where they are hardhearted.

If you didn't order, well then let it be. It will drive business my way. :naughtydance:

• Like 2

The other places are not properly following AZ law...

I mean dfs was never that cheap anyway, but at least admit you're a tax cheat

I #### the IRS any chance I get. I admit it!

How so?

Their system is ####ed up. I would contact them if you placed an order and have them adjust. They are supposed to charge local sales tax to your ship to zip code. Not some general sales tax to where they are hardhearted.

If you didn't order, well then let it be. It will drive business my way. :naughtydance:

Right they are suppose to charge the percentage where you live. They only can charge tax in states where they do business and own property correct?

TBH who really gives a #### :lol:? When I check out if sales tax is added I go to another site DFS sucks anyways.

• Like 2

I buy all my dry goods from Marine Depot because of not having to pay taxes and most of the time it's 5-20% less than picking it up locally. Why pay $10-50 more on a light or sump from a LFS then get pegged with a 8.25% (Sale Tax). I support my local Fish stores by purchasing food and live stock.

• Like 2

Right they are suppose to charge the percentage where you live. They only can charge tax in states where they do business and own property correct?

TBH who really gives a #### :lol:? When I check out if sales tax is added I go to another site DFS sucks anyways.

Correct. And the business doesn't even have to be open. Say if Amazon just starts construction on a new warehouse, that day they start to charge sales tax in that sate on items sold by Amazon. You also can not overcharge or profit off of Sales Tax. If you overcharge you must pay all of it to the state.

If we ever go to a Internet sales tax on any ship to, it's going to #### things up so bad for any smaller company. You literally will spend a month reporting and paying all the different taxes, maybe more. Let alone the systems you have to put in place. Right now you are to report any out of state sales on your taxes, but few do. Your money is best in your hands.

I'll be up by DFS tomorrow, I can hand out GFY stickers

• Like 2

How so?

Wow, I didn't mean to be a troll, just making a statement. BTW Stevie, just got my second media basket from you and i love em...

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...
On 9/15/2021 at 12:07 PM, banasophia said:

This thread is from 2015… I think business ownerships have changed since that time

That's so funny!!  I never look at the date and every time this happens I say I will, but I never do!!🤣

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
On 9/16/2021 at 3:14 PM, sadie said:

That's so funny!!  I never look at the date and every time this happens I say I will, but I never do!!🤣

Ahh I see you like to bring back old posts from the dead as well. It's my favorite pass time. Zombie posts hehe

• Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2015 at 1:22 AM, aviator300 said:

Boy, i hope BRS and MD don't get bought out by

I hate to keep this zombie lumbering forward, but look at that quote from 2015...it happened only 5-6 years later.  You didn't knock on wood when you posted that! 😉 

Post-buyout one seller gets to stay, the other has to go.  🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1