Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

zoa blowing its guts?

10gallonnightmare

10gallonnightmare

I got a zoa that seemingly blew its guts that looked liek long stringy things while I was cleaning the tank. The ones that blwe their guts are clenched tightly closed. Not like my other ones open up too much anyways. But is this normal for zoas to blow their guts or is this even possible if they are scared?

could be excrement.. could be the coral expelling excess zooxanthelle in reaction to lighting. Give it a few days and see how they look then.

Funkymonkey
Originally posted by 10gallonnightmare

I got a zoa that seemingly blew its guts that looked liek long stringy things while I was cleaning the tank.  The ones that blwe their guts are clenched tightly closed.  Not like my other ones open up too much anyways.  But is this normal for zoas to blow their guts or is this even possible if they are scared?

A Houston reefer! I think the key here is to give them to me for observation!

I've only had one Zoo do that in my tank, and he recovered after a week or two. But yours aren't really opening at all? Have you tried moving them around the tank a little?

PS-- PM me if you're interested in doing some zoanthid trades since we're so close ^_^

Nice to know there are others here from this part of the country...

and by the way, we've seen some polyps do that in our tank recently...they're just fine...we think it was just waste.

The "long stringy things" are it's zooxanthellae. Symbiotic algae that gives the zoanthid it's color. You should notice the affected specimines to be unhealthy looking, lighter in color, etc. This is usually caused by stress...too much/too little light, change in water tempurature, lots of different reasons.

It gets rid of the zooxanthellae to balance internal energy consumption. Zooanthellae provide the zoanthid with energy if conditions are right (lighting, tempurature, etc)...if these conditions are not met, the zooanthellae end up using too much of the zoanthid's resources, so the zoanthid rids itself of this algae to balance out the internal clockwork.

Archived