Pod Your Reef

Change substrate in my spec V

jw20vt

Hello hello everyone

I am really not likeing how the caribsea arognite looks i started my spec v out with... The only stuff i have at LFS is the usual caribsea alive sand in a few varietys. I dont have a problem with the stuff i use it in my FOWLR tank fine but am wondering the best way to approach changing out my current substrate with some new caribsea live sand in my established and running spec v?

You guys are awesome for reading and thank you for the help in advance

Jeremy

Changing out your sand bed will cause a minor to a major cycle.

I would recommend putting some tank water in a container big enough to house your corals, rock and whatever livestock you have in the tank. Siphon out all or the sand you can, which you will probably ending up doing a full water change. I woulr highly recommend not scrubbing anything in your tank, you are taking out a huge piece of your natural filtration. Scrubbing anything will result in a loss of beneficial bacteria. Next, put in your sand. Fill water up a bit, put in your rock, coral and livestock. Fill the rest of the way up. Test your parameters until you are sure if you have a mini cycle or a full cycle. I would recommend feeding lightly during this period.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for the reply, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer .

Instead of a complete change what if i add a inch or so of bag "live sand" as a mix? I imagine it will still have to be monitored for a cycle but is this a better approach ?

Archived