ReefCleaners.org

RE-aquascaping question...

TigerLily

For those of you who have rescaped your tanks… did you remove your livestock to buckets while you moved the rocks around or did you just move carefully to avoid squishing any critters that may have been swimming or crawling around where you were working? I'm considering changing a few things around and want to have a good plan for where everything will go and what to do before I start. I'm sure I can be careful, but I'm also sure that I will stir up a bunch of muck and I want to cause the least stress. My fish are used to my hand in the tank and they usually nibble on my fingers looking for food, but maybe moving big rocks around will be more than they can take. ;)

Thanks!

I usually pull anything that isn't glued down and any of the small rocks just to get them out of the way. The fish can stay in there tho.

Make slow movements when pulling rocks from the sand bed or pushing them into it to prevent a dust storm. Dosn't hurt to vacuum beforehand

Thanks. Your response is very helpful! Yes I was thinking to do this during a water change so I would vacuum first and move things around while the water volume is low. Hopefully everything will fit back together the way I think it will and I won't have things moving around for too long!

+1 I've always re-scaped with fish in the tank... Just move slow and have some 5g buckets around, preferably 2 just in-case you want to do some scrubbing you can scrub in one bucket and rinse in another. It also helps to temporarily hold your rocks out of the way if needed.

Just remember to do bucket checks before dumping any water... I had a wrasse that hid in a rock and somehow got left in a bucket so that could have been bad.

+1 I've always re-scaped with fish in the tank... Just move slow and have some 5g buckets around, preferably 2 just in-case you want to do some scrubbing you can scrub in one bucket and rinse in another. It also helps to temporarily hold your rocks out of the way if needed.

Just remember to do bucket checks before dumping any water... I had a wrasse that hid in a rock and somehow got left in a bucket so that could have been bad.

Thanks! Great point. There is one big rock I want to take out and scrub off an evil sponge so I will be sure to count heads and check the bucket before dumping!

I did a total re-scape. I mean every rock. I left the fish in the tank and they were fine.

I made sure to locate my inverts and got them off the rocks before removing.

Yes keep the buckets handy.

Agree to move slow, it's easy to create a dust storm and then you need to wait as you won't be able to see your new scape coming together.

Have fun! I loved re-scaping!

Archived