Pod Your Reef

Aquascaping Disaster! Please Help !

Pisces28

If you guys can help me come up with ANY ideas on how to aquascape the rocks that I have, I would appreciate it. I know its tough to explain via a post, but any suggestions will be helpful. I have been at this for three days now, and cannot get it right :(
I will be taking everything out of the tank tonight, draining the water, and starting over.

So the red rocks in the second picture, I have already taken them out and broke them into pieces for better stacking. Also, in the second picture, the piece on the bottom right and bottom left I do not plan on using at all.

What I am going to use:

- All the white rocks in picture #1
- The large white one in #2 (The whitest one)
- All the red ones.

Thank you so much in advance!

post-87037-0-55221600-1421943469_thumb.jpg

post-87037-0-71232000-1421943472_thumb.jpg

some basic shapes that just work are: 2 short islands, 2 taller islands, 1 short or taller island in the center, 3 short islands of staggered height between tall and short.

These are just some easy ones to play with to see if you like them, tall should be about 2/3rds of the water level short should be about 1/3rd.

The best suggestion I have is to cut out piece of cardboard to the size of your bottom tank.

Take an hour and have some fun moving things around until you find something you like. Try different things, move the rocks, change the way they can sit, try arches or bridges.

You're not in any rush, find something that looks good from all available angles. Find a theme from an aquascape you like (I like islands, myself).

You'll be surprised how many combinations you like. You'll even have a eureka moment where you have a rough idea of what you want the final product to look like. It will be a rough draft. Then start moving little things. Maybe a rock looks better on its side than being piled on the other. It's hard to say.

Once you have your 'rough draft' - take pictures. In case you need to start from scratch on a rough draft while you fine-tune it.

Hello,

I came home last night to an already finished aquascape!

My boyfriend (who wanted no part in this to begin with) had some fun with re-arranging the rocks, and Im pretty pleased with the results.

I cant say im 100% satisfied because I dont think thats possible when it comes to aquascaping :P

Posting some pictures.

Opinions are always appreciated!

post-87037-0-97935500-1422031208_thumb.jpg

post-87037-0-12016900-1422031283_thumb.jpg

post-87037-0-83409700-1422031287_thumb.jpg

post-87037-0-55656400-1422031292_thumb.jpg

post-87037-0-85644500-1422031299_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind that your ultimate goal is not to really see the rocks but to see the corals and have the rocks covered with mats of zoas, GSP, polyps, etc. The main purpose of the rocks are 1) a base for the corals and 2) filtration.

Just set the rocks so that there are lots of nooks, cracks, etc. in which to stick frags and then set matting frags to cover the rock.

I design fountains, swimming pools, etc. and when we do a waterfall, the customer is always concerned with the look of the stone. We tell them to look at a natural waterfall - the water is bordered with plants and just a few bits of rock peeking out. Shoot for the same thing with your aquascaping and remember that as the corals grow, they're going to grow up and out so leave plenty of room for the growth.

This is a long term hobby and it's not so much about how the rock looks like now but how the tank is going to look in 3 or 4 years when everything has filled in.

I'd leave out that big shell. Looks promising though. Cubes are hard to scape.
The conch shell?

I have a big conch shell totally covered with mushrooms and it looks pretty cool. Also blennies love it!

Archived