Coral Vue Hydros

Budget poor mans nano reef package

Nanogeek27

Hello. Been out of the hobby for a while but back due to its irresistible pull!

Can anyone recommend a budget nano reef package? Looking for 5-12gallon setup. Money is extremely tight.

All in ones are nice if they are affordable. I know it would be nice if I could give a dollar amount but frankly im just looking to see what is considered budget or poor mans reef in your eyes.

If you can reccomend the pieces and prices it would be greatly appreciated!

Hello. Been out of the hobby for a while but back due to its irresistible pull!

Can anyone recommend a budget nano reef package? Looking for 5-12gallon setup. Money is extremely tight.

All in ones are nice if they are affordable. I know it would be nice if I could give a dollar amount but frankly im just looking to see what is considered budget or poor mans reef in your eyes.

If you can reccomend the pieces and prices it would be greatly appreciated!

I think you can still get a wicked reef on a budget! I would do the following:

IM Fusion 10- $100

Par38-$80-100

Dry Rock is generally cheaper- $2-3 dollars a pound

Heater- $20-30

Barebottom-Free

Jebao WP-10 Powerhead-Ive seen as low as $30 and has high as $50 idk

You'll need something to cycle so you can get Dr Tims or some fish food.

• Like 1

Above ins't exactly cheap, I'd just go with a standard 5-10 gallon tank and HOB Aquaclear and 1 PAR38 as mentioned above, heater, rock, powerhead. Can get a standard 5-10 gallon for $10-$15 and save yourself $80+ by skipping name brand like IM Fusion.

I'd even look on Craigslist and see what is avail around your area as well. If you want a nice desktop nano reef pick up the 7.5 gallon Deep Blue cube tank, I got mine for $30 and I loved that thing but had to breeak it down due to pending deployment. You can see pics of it in my sig block. I got that thing up and running for maybe $150ish so between $150-$200. If you do the cube tank just slap in a A/C 70 and you won't need a power head at all. Even on a standard 5 gallon if you put a A/C 70 you won't need a powerhead because that thing will give you plenty of flow in the tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Had a standard ten gallon AGA tank with a basic HOB, Heater and powerhead with two 15 watt 50/50 standard florescent bulbs back in the day that was bulletproof... Doesn't get meuch cheaper or basic than that. Can grow most basic soft corals as well...

Above ins't exactly cheap, I'd just go with a standard 5-10 gallon tank and HOB Aquaclear and 1 PAR38 as mentioned above, heater, rock, powerhead. Can get a standard 5-10 gallon for $10-$15 and save yourself $80+ by skipping name brand like IM Fusion. I'd even look on Craigslist and see what is avail around your area as well. If you want a nice desktop nano reef pick up the 7.5 gallon Deep Blue cube tank, I got mine for $30 and I loved that thing but had to breeak it down due to pending deployment. You can see pics of it in my sig block. I got that thing up and running for maybe $150ish so between $150-$200. If you do the cube tank just slap in a A/C 70 and you won't need a power head at all. Even on a standard 5 gallon if you put a A/C 70 you won't need a powerhead because that thing will give you plenty of flow in the tank.

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah I actually bought a new im fusion open box from my lfs, just missing some parts to use as freshwater planted setup. Tank spontaneously cracked down the side after only a couple weeks in use. :/ IM would not do anything because the place where I bought it from put "used" on the receipt even though technically it was new just an open box (the lfs maintenance guy cabibalized it for one of his clients).

I think you can still get a wicked reef on a budget! I would do the following:IM Fusion 10- $100Par38-$80-100 Dry Rock is generally cheaper- $2-3 dollars a poundHeater- $20-30Barebottom-FreeJebao WP-10 Powerhead-Ive seen as low as $30 and has high as $50 idk You'll need something to cycle so you can get Dr Tims or some fish food.

Thanks!

I think that keeping it small will go a long ways to keep things cheap and simple. Remember what's been said here relates primarily to equipment. I mean yeah $150-200 is probably a good estimate for buying equipment - but then remember that you still have to buy livestock.

When in my area at least very few things cost less than $10 except maybe snails and CUC. So adding a CUC, a fish (possibly, depending on what you end up with), and a few coral frags that could potentially be a big expense.

So realistically plan another $150+ or so for fish, inverts, and corals.

If you want to keep a FOWLR (fish only with live (or dry) rock) then you can cut costs considerably. You won't need nearly as much lighting, or flow, and maintenance won't be as significant either.

Finally, I think you should check local reef clubs, and craigslist, or ebay (sorted for local stuff) to score a good deal on something used. It's not uncommon to be able to pick up an established biocube or something for a fraction of what the individual components would be worth. Often it's just someone getting out of the hobby due to various things - sometimes they're motivated too if they have to move or something! You may need to invest in some materials to move it, and in some new stuff if there's any failing or sub-par equipment.

Haha I just thought of something...

If you're really feeling poor you could set up a tank amphipod style... :haha:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/355803-the-amphipods-tanks-thread/#entry4921579

Just fill some tanks with random stuff you find at the beach or at the bait shop and put a sponge filter in.

You don't even need test kits or hydrometer/refractometer you can maintain salinity by taste.

• Like 2

for a budget nano id go with,

Petco sale 10 gallon -$10

Fluval CP-1 Powerhead -$30

Par38 - $70-80

Architect lamp from walmart -$15

Aquaclear HOB - $dependent on size you buy

Heater - $5-10

Buy base rock and sand or buy live, up to you but shop a round for a deal

before rock and sand and salt total = $155 + filter +rocksandsalt

IMO... Spec V, WP10, hydor heater, PAR30 or Marine Orbit+, api test kit, BRS dry rock, 10lb bag of sand. It would be a bit more than $200, but you wouldn't NEED to replace anything immediately. If you can't afford everything at once... Buy a power head, heater, and rocks. Get them cycling in a 5G bucket and get them aging while you save up for everything else.

Don't skimp on anything just to get running NOW. Its worth doing it right and doing it once, trust me I did the same thing when I started and I'm still fixing the results of my impatience.

• Like 3

IMO... Spec V, WP10, hydor heater, PAR30 or Marine Orbit+, api test kit, BRS dry rock, 10lb bag of sand. It would be a bit more than $200, but you wouldn't NEED to replace anything immediately. If you can't afford everything at once... Buy a power head, heater, and rocks. Get them cycling in a 5G bucket and get them aging while you save up for everything else.

Don't skimp on anything just to get running NOW. Its worth doing it right and doing it once, trust me I did the same thing when I started and I'm still fixing the results of my impatience.

Agree, at least to a point.

I think a beginner tank will inevitably have some of this... Motivation dwindles quickly when all you have to look at is a tank and some rocks - or everyone elses tank wishing you had one! So while I agree you shouldn't skimp on too much now, it's not motivating to wait until you have the funds to buy all the right stuff.

- Don't skimp on the tank - get the one you want because this is the piece that's hardest to change out. If you don't like the bones you probably won't like the end result! I enjoy regular AGA (all glass aquarium) tanks, others prefer acrylic or the clean look of a rimless.

- Also don't skimp on rock - whether it's live or dry get the rock you like. When I started my tank I bought the bare minimum and after a year or 2 of adding rock I ended up with so many kinds of rock it seemed more of a mish-mash than I would have liked.

- Finally, don't skimp on lighting. I think that lighting is one of those things that has a decent cost associated with it no matter what you get so you might as well get what works for you. Even if you don't think you'll want them, get a light capable of growing medium-high light LPS corals.

Places to skimp

- HOB filters and powerheads and pumps because you can use the old ones when you upgrade for other things like a mixing station, QT, etc..

- Start with cheap salt

- test kits are nice, but not super necessary if your LFS will test for free or cheap

- IME a heater is a heater. Some will disagree, there are those who have incurred the wrath of a cheap heater - glass breaking, stuck on, stuck off, etc...

- A digital thermometer is great, but a cheapy suction cup one works just as good

- It seems that most people will tell you that you can't get by without a refractometer, however, I think that a hydrometer works just fine if you can compare it against the results of a calibrated refractometer.

Also, don't forget about the possibility of making an AIO from a 10 or 20g tank... If you have a decent acrylic dealer nearby you could get the materials for pretty cheap - as long as you have the ability to cut it anyways.

My last tip to save $$ and ensure you don't get through your budget and find you're still missing key components is to make a super thorough plan. Like down to stuff like thermometer, salt mix, and shims for your stand. Include CUC, fish, and a budget for coral frags (like go to your LFS and write down the prices - don't assume you'll spend $20 on a CUC only to find out you really need $30). Also include maintenance. Tap water dechlorinator, how long will salt mix last you, do you want a mag-float? Making this super detailed plan will ensure that you finish this thing without too much pain (you'll be surprised at how much it all adds up to, but at least you know you won't go over). You can submit your plan here and ask for suggestions or substitutions.

why not just lower the volume of the tank to save money? fluval 2's and 3's are 2-2.6 gallons. they are all glass and usually run around $60. all you'll need to do is upgrade the return pump to a minijet 606 ($26) and make yourself a media basket out of some egg crate. keep it bare bottom for the pico's longevity and get yourself 2-3 pounds of any rock you want. you can get some nice growth with a simple par38 as well ($80-100). With 2 gallons, you can buy the big bucket of red sea coral pro, tropic marin, kent marine, or whatever salt your heart desires and it will end up probably lasting you a year with 50% weekly water changes. one thing i wouldn't skip out on is a auto top off, unless you want to be married to your tank.

hopefully some option posted in this thread works for you, best of luck.

hell, even going with a normal 2.5 gallon and AC10 filter would be good enough if you wanted to save even more money.

• 6 years later...
On 1/13/2015 at 1:34 AM, Cove said:

I think you can still get a wicked reef on a budget! I would do the following:

IM Fusion 10- $100

Par38-$80-100

Dry Rock is generally cheaper- $2-3 dollars a pound

Heater- $20-30

Barebottom-Free

Jebao WP-10 Powerhead-Ive seen as low as $30 and has high as $50 idk

You'll need something to cycle so you can get Dr Tims or some fish food.

Just a random thought. When a AIO tank states that it's "10 gallon", is that 10 gallon of display or does the 10 gallon include the hidden back portion?

19 minutes ago, jarviz said:

Just a random thought. When a AIO tank states that it's "10 gallon", is that 10 gallon of display or does the 10 gallon include the hidden back portion?

May depend on who makes the tank. I am pretty sure my 15g Waterbox counts the AIO section. 

My main tank is a Red Sea Reefer XL300 and they list it as an 80g by including the 15g sump. So, same thing essentially.

On 1/13/2015 at 3:08 PM, ajmckay said:

- It seems that most people will tell you that you can't get by without a refractometer, however, I think that a hydrometer works just fine if you can compare it against the results of a calibrated refractometer.

As a recent newbie, I've used both.  Started with IO hydrometer and it drove me bananas.  Having to tap it on the table, get it level, etc.  My experience was incosistent results on and off.  Sometimes I'd read spot on water.  Test the same water a few minutes later - and it was below minimum 1.020 by alot.  Maybe I got a dud or was doing something wrong but it was giving me inconsistent water salinity. 

I scrapped the Hydrometer and bought a cheapo  $18.00 one on Refractometer on amazon works fine, and repeatable results every time without a fuss.  bought some calibration fluid with mine but it was calibrated out of the box after testing with calibration fluid.  Rinse and wipe saltwater after each use. 

+ 1 for get the refractometer ( for marine aquarium ).