SaltCritters.com

My little POTO- SPS heavy mixed reef

Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch

Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep a close eye on the Cal levels and start looking into dosers for the future.

Well, first it's a matter of scale. A change of KH from 8 to 7 might only move Calcium by 5 or 10, which is probably not easily measured with our test kits. Over time, though, this imbalance will get greater and greater because you're only dosing Alk but the usage is actually equal.

I misunderstood what 8.4 is, so ignore what I said. AV Balance is what claims to raise PH without altering KH. So the above applies, you're only dosing Alk and that might, I say might be an issue, or not. If calcium starts to get to low you can just pour in a bit to bring it back up.

Slowtwitch

Went to the LFS yesterday to look at the shipment of "ultra" rock flowers that they got in. To say that I was disappointed in them would be an understatement. There was one that I might have considered if the owner would have bargained a little. Pretty nice orange colored skirt, but it was curled up and I couldn't see the face at all. It was only about the size of a 50 cent piece and he wanted $60 for it. Decided to pass, but I may go back in a week or so and see if it is still there and offer him less. I also saw what I thought was a yellow monti cap frag there. Since I didn't know they came in that color I decided to wait on it and do a little research before I bought it. I will now for sure be going back for that. It should look great between the Idaho grape and Season's greetings. I did come home with these guys. Something I totally was not planning, but the trio looked so cool together just hanging in front of the tank.

2015-05-21%2010.48.14_zpsiecl3xq4.jpg

2015-05-21%2010.48.29_zpsvj7mugjv.jpg

Just a couple of quick and dirty pics since they are still being shy and mostly hiding behind the rocks. I'll get better pics once they aren't so skittish. They have all eaten frozen mysis so far and I saw them eat flake in the store so :naughtydance:

• Like 1
Slowtwitch

Went away for a couple of days backpacking with my oldest son. Fed pretty heavily before we left on Friday since no one would be there to feed while we were gone. Came home today to a massive cyano/gha outbreak. :-( On the plus side though, everything else seems very happy. Acans are showing some of the best color I've seen, chalices have obvious growth as do the monti caps and gorg. Plus my mini mini nem tore itself in two! I actually got to see the final separation. Fascinating and gross at the same time. Now that it split I hope the two halves don't wander too much.

• Like 2
Slowtwitch

FTS today.

Need to scrape the Starboard. :unsure: Shot is with all blues off since I can't seem to get the camera to take a good shot with them on. Colors are a little washed out. Will have some time to practice with the camera/lighting tomorrow.

2015-05-28%2016.58.33_zpsygfwvuwx.jpg

• Like 9
Slowtwitch

It's looking very nice. I love the new RFA! Hopefully now you'll have two pretty ones to enjoy, now.

There's actually 5 of them in there now. :blush: 2 white, 1 green, 1 red, 1 orange and blue. I am considering moving a couple to my other tank and getting a couple more along with a few BTA's and maxi mini's for a full on zoa/ nem tank.

• Like 1
Slowtwitch

Cleaning day in the tank. Moved some rock to blow the detritus out and siphoned a ton of crap out. scraped a bunch of the starboard and three walls of glass. unreal how much stuff builds up in there. So glad I got rid of the sand.

Slowtwitch

From my garden

2015-06-07%2016.30.34_zpsgbi41s6k.jpg

Top down on a different kind of flower.

2015-06-09%2015.01.29_zpsrwphz4er.jpg

Why do they insist on going places they can't easily be seen...

2015-06-09%2014.59.54_zpsm3fplvtq.jpg

top down on zoa mountain

2015-06-09%2015.02.13_zpsjgpblqmt.jpg

• Like 4

Bad thunderstorms last night caused a power outage here for several hours, long enough for my battery back-ups to run down. Excess water in the sump from the return pump stopping caused the skimmer to overflow. Luckily I had just emptied it with the water change yesterday afternoon. Temp in the tank only dropped a couple of degrees. Power is back on now and it doesn't look like anything is too upset about it, but I am monitoring closely for signs of distress

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Just realized I haven't posted here since the power outage. Tank fared pretty well overall though I did lose a frag of yellow monti cap and a small torch. I did a small rescape to elevate the remaining caps which are growing gangbusters. I also got a new shipment from Legendary last week. I can't believe how fast a couple of these new frags are growing. I picked up a tiny sapphire psammacora which has already covered the frag plug and is encrusting the rock I put it on. anyone know if it will over grow the chalices that also share this rock?

Oh and I may or may not have just taken possession of a pair of juvenile occelaris clowns...

• Like 2
Slowtwitch

Picked up what will likely be the last fish I add to this tank. A possum wrasse and a watermelon goby. Hoping the wrasse will help control the spread of the feather dusters that seem to want to take over all the rockwork. Being only about an inch long it may take him awhile however. :-)

• Like 4
Slowtwitch

Well, the little wrasse and the goby made it through the night. Out and about this morning picking at the rock and playing with his little fish friends. Noticed one of the clowns breathing very rapidly today. Still swimming normally and no excess of slime buildup on him, just rapid breathing. Offered some brine shrimp and he did not eat. will try again later. Hope this isn't the start of something bad. :unsure:

Slowtwitch

The little possum wrasse is doing awesome. Very actively hunting in the rockwork. He has noticeably gained weight since going in the tank. Nice round fat belly. The clown however is showing no signs of improvement. Still very rapid breathing and hanging at the bottom of the tank. Still no signs of white spots or increase in slime coat. The other clown has taken to the frogspawn and looks very happy and healthy though I still have not seen her eat. I have some garlic supplements and Paraguard that I will begin to use tomorrow if there is still no sign of improvement after I feed this evening.

• Like 1
Slowtwitch

Right now he's kind of Pink with very pale yellow stripes. Like this. DSC_8989_F3_ps.jpgThe little guy never stops eating!

What color possum wrasse did you get?

• Like 5
Slowtwitch

He's cute :) Hope the other clown pulls through...

Me too. Hey man where you been hiding? Been missing your updates on your tanks.

Right now he's kind of Pink with very pale yellow stripes. Like this. DSC_8989_F3_ps.jpgThe little guy never stops eating!

Too cute! The pygmy wrasses are my favorite fish.
  • Like 1
Slowtwitch

Thanks! Been busy with work and family, but I'm slowly catching up :)

I hear you. Most days I feel like I'm being pulled in 20 directions. Vacation starts saturday though.
  • Like 1