What is it?

tlong3234

Hi! This came on some live rock I added to my tank yesterday. Is is a feather duster worm? What does it eat? Will I need to supplement this with anything? Right now I just have a NO, but am leaning toward VHO. Does this little fella have any special lighting requirements? Also, while we are on the subject, this is going to be a reef tank someday. What would I be able to keep with VHO?

http://traceylong.smugmug.com/photos/6317324-S.jpg

Sorry...it keeps telling me my picture is too large to upload, but I made it very, very small...Oh well...I'll try again next time.

TIA,

Tracey

hey that looks like the litle anemones that can in some cases take over your tank, they will grow in anytihing and you might want to take him out. what wattage of VHO on what size tank?

Darn! I was hoping it was something neat! It is actually lying on its side not attatched to the glass in the picture. I didn't realize it was there when I situated my new lr so it was actually hanging upside down (oops). I also bought 4 blue-legged hermit crabs and a nassarius snail and had gone in in the middle of the night to see what they were up to. I saw this thing hanging upside down stretched out. By the time I got back with the camera, it was on its side. Today it has been sort of sucked inside itself.

Thanks for the replies. I checked some of the other places to try to identify it, but I was looking in the wrong place. I thought it was a feather duster...that's what I get for being a newbie!!!

Anyway back to lighting. I want to upgrade the lights so I get that nice, purple corraline algae, and I would eventually like to keep some corals. I am just beginning to read up on corals, so I don't know what type yet.

All I know about lighting so far is that you need VHO or MH for most reef stuff and that it is VERY expensive. I know MH can make the water hot and could require the use of a chiller and that if you go with VHO a good rule of thumb is 5 watts per gallon.

I have a 29 gallon tank. I would love it if someone could give me suggestions or point me in the direction of some good articles.

Thanks for the help!

While I'm here...I have another question. We would like to put two percula clowns and a regal tang in the tank. I know the tang can't stay in there long, but if it's 1/2 to 1" when I get it, how long could I keep it in there before it needed a bigger tank? How should I go bout introducing the fish (who comes first, then, how long do I wait, etc). What other suggestions do you have?

I'm not certain that's an aiptasia. Do you have another tank in which you can quarantine it? It looks to be more colorful than an aiptasia, although there can be variations in color. I'd be careful about getting peppermint shrimp, since they can be unfriendly to your reef. Make sure you get "scarlet reef hermits" and not "red legged hermits".

Steve

Archived